Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: White smoke on nissan 200sx
flak monkey

posted on 9/5/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
OT: White smoke on nissan 200sx

My mates got a 1.8 turbo nissan 200sx and its recently started chucking out a bit of white smoke when accelerating.

Any ideas?

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

big_wasa

posted on 9/5/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo oil seals ?
jacko

posted on 9/5/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
As above turbo seals
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 9/5/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
It wants to be the next Pope ?.......

I'll get me coat etc...

theconrodkid

posted on 9/5/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
white could be antifreeze or brake fluid,give it the sniff test and check the relevant fluid levels

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

imp paul

posted on 9/5/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
re tubo seals

hi turbos do not have seals it is a bearing to bearing face and when they wear oil will pass and it will start to smoke hope this helps
flak monkey

posted on 9/5/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I might be wrong (and probably am), but i thought it could be a fuelling issue? As in far too rich under acceleration? Doesnt petrol burn with white smoke too under certain conditions (i know parrafin etc does)?

Its only started recently i think.

Thanks for the suggestions so far

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Macbeast

posted on 9/5/07 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had white smoke on an MGB and it was leaky seal in the brake servo letting brake fluid into the carb side.
big_wasa

posted on 9/5/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Have seen an SX that burnt brake fluid. due to a split seal in servo I think.
the_fbi

posted on 9/5/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by imp paul
hi turbos do not have seals it is a bearing to bearing face and when they wear oil will pass and it will start to smoke hope this helps

Hm...

Is that a generic statement or specifically about the Garrett T25 on the 200SX (CA18DET) engine?

http://www.gpopshop.com/garrettt2kits.html

I'd go for seals or perhaps blocked oil line from turbo, leading to overpressure on feed side.

Overfuelling leads to black smoke, not white.

White smoke is also water, so perhaps a head gasket failure. Compression check?

Ivan

posted on 9/5/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Another possibility is oil from the intercooler - a little oil always gets through the turbo seals and condenses in the intercooler - over time (about 120 000km) you get a small puddle in the bottom of the intercooler and suddenly one day lots of smoke when accelerating hard - particularly up a hill.

Just drain it out and problem solved.

hobbsy

posted on 9/5/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
White smoke is generally water so head gasket or similar

Blue smoke is oil so turbo oil seals or rings.

Grey ish smoke is usually too much fuel so look for air leaks.

I've owned 1x S13 and 1x S14a and tuned both so know these fairly well.

The CA18DET tends to do its big ends but that wouldn't give smoke just a nice rattle

iank

posted on 9/5/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'd second the idea of it being steam rather than smoke if it's white - should be able to smell the difference. Mayonnaise in the oil would make it a certainty.

My 2p would be on the head gasket.

[Edited on 9/5/07 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Peteff

posted on 9/5/07 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Burning oil I'd go with.

Does he let it tick over for a few seconds before switching off?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Impact301

posted on 10/5/07 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, rather than going through David all the time I thought it would be easier if I joined to reply myself.

Thanks for the ideas, I would say its not the Head Gasket as there is no power loss, and its not started to knock at all, just smokey. I do let the turbo cool down, but as for the previous owners I dont know. The smoke looks white at some angles and a light blue at others, and another noticeable thing is a bad smell, even just driving normal. Its too old for a CAT as its a 1990 car. Ive attached a couple of pics of the smoke, it sometimes is worse than that if you rev it hard. Thanks for the advice, will check all the turbo and intercooler pipes and all the fluid levels. The oil I used is 5w-30, would putting a thicker oil in make any difference as it only started smoking after I changed the oil & filter?
Nick.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r257/IMPACT_photos/DSC00269.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r257/IMPACT_photos/DSC00270.jpg

the_fbi

posted on 10/5/07 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
5w30 sounds strange for that engine and is probably a bit thin.

Send the guys as Opieoils an email and ask for their recomendation.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk

They frequent lots of the forums and normally post as "Oilman" but I don't think he's a member on here.

I get all my oil from them, great discounts for club members and fantastic range of knowledge and products.

Guy and Simon are the 2 main guys.

[Edited on 10/5/07 by the_fbi]

hobbsy

posted on 10/5/07 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I'd go thicker.

You could be lucky and its just the thinner oil getting past the seals on your turbo.

How many miles has the current one done and is it standard or running more boost / exhaust etc?

If you accelerate hard then back off suddenly you do get a load of smoke?

If so changes are its the turbo.

Best to get a mate to follow as you have to make an awful lot of smoke to be able to see it in your rear view mirror.

Headlights of following cars at night is also a useful diagnostic tool

iank

posted on 10/5/07 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, that looks blue to me, so it's oil getting burnt.

Since it happened only after an oil change I'd check haynes/nissan manuals to see which oil they recommend.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Impact301

posted on 10/5/07 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
The engine has done done a huge 176,000 miles, and the turbo was replaced at roughly 100K. You may have hit the nail on the head about the oil being too thin, having done some looking around that thin oil is to be used in very cold conditions, they recommend 20/40 for general conditions. I reckon the guy in the shop got confused! Will give that a try, as the engine runs fine and the turbo powers as it should right into the red line. Just hope it hasnt done the turbo any damage.
Cheers, will change the oil again and see if that cures it.
Nick.

Impact301

posted on 14/5/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
BLUE SMOKE NOT WHITE

Hi again, I have changed the oil / filter to 10/50 semi synthetic (someone I know at a garage recommended that) driven it for 35miles and its still the same so far. It does chuck out lots if you floor it then suddenly back off, so maybe it is something to do with the turbo. If it was the seals, would you see any loss in power? There dosnt seem to me any, it powered its way pretty quick to *cough cough* 130mph. It is definitely blue smoke, so oil. Some angles it looks white (especially in the rear mirror) but if you look closely its definitely blue.
Nick.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 14/5/07 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
It seems to me as oil....
put a mirror or glass in front of exhaust, if condensate evaporates..... water...
if not.... OIL..
Probably from turbo...
IMHO

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hobbsy

posted on 15/5/07 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah it sounds like the turbo, it will still probably give decent performance enough though oil is getting past. If its just standard then its a Garrett T25 - these are cheap enough to come by (as long as you don't get a duff one). There are lots of variations though, its generally a lot easier to get one from a 200SX than from a different car.

To be honest you might as well give the shaft a wiggle, take the intake piping off (wait til its completely cold!) and grab the turbo shaft. You can forgive a bit of side to side play (as some of this is taken up once you have oil pressure) but if there is much in and out play then its probably boned.

In the manual (you can download it online for free) it will give you the permitted play for both. Really you should hardly be able to move it in and out at all. Anything more than a mm is usually bad.

Same goes if you decide to replace it and want to use a 2nd hand turbo (but also check castings and blade condition etc).

Go on www.sxoc.com/vbb and look at parts for sale for how much T25's go for. Usually sub £100.

Bit of a pain to fit on the S13 though. Especially with the solid oil and water pipes.

You are better replacing at least the oil feed with a flexible pipe as they are know to block on the S13 - leading to - you've guessed it - premature turbo failure.

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 15/5/07 by hobbsy]

Impact301

posted on 15/5/07 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, yeah that does help. Will inspect the turbo and pipes later. I do remember seeing quite a bit of oil covering that area. I see what you mean about getting to the turbo, theres hardly any room to move. Its abit annoying as I needed turbo gaskets replacing just after I brought the car in February, and the garage had it for a day and a half to fit them, I wished I had replaced the turbo at the same time now! Oh well thats how it goes with old cars I guess! At least its not my everyday car, thats something I guess. Thanks for the help though, will check the shaft and pipes first then take it from there.
Nick.

NS Dev

posted on 15/5/07 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Don't worry about it for now unless its using loads of oil. I have seen a lot of smoky examples of these cars and it takes a long time for anything more serious to develop

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Impact301

posted on 15/5/07 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I see what you mean as the car still runs and drives ok. Im more worried about causing a smoke screen when driving, the first copper that sees it will guarantee to pull me over, its much worse than any other car on the road! Also people will turn and look for all the wrong reasons, Ive already had a few funny looks from people out walking their dog as I drive passed with a cloud of smoke out the back! Havent got flashed by any other cars yet though! Im thinking of running it through an MOT to see what else needs doing before taking on anything major though.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.