Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: My last visit to scrapyard?
02GF74

posted on 1/10/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
My last visit to scrapyard?

going to scrapyards is kinda fun as there seems to be always someting useful to pick up for very little money.

Well, that is how it useda be.

Not anymore it seems.

The yard with japanese cars no longer lets you wander around due to HSE.

A lot of parts are on ebay that have been removed so no need to risk injury doing it yourself under teetering towers of cars.

but the last straw I think is seeing notices that minimum charge is £ 5.

and one place had the notice that minimum charge is £ 5 and "if you don't want to pay £ 5, then f*** off"

Damn rude if you ask me.

Won't be going there again. Will be writing to local council to complain about that.

If that is their appraoch to business, then ebay it is from now on.

Ignorant thieveing pikey scum.

rant over.

RK

posted on 1/10/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Fleabay is the only way nowadays. The junkers are no fun.
mistergrumpy

posted on 1/10/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I agree. Minimum purchase £5 is rubbish. In my opinion it just knocks the price of everything else up by a fiver too, Ebay or Locostbuilders for me. I'd rather the money went to someone on here than some fat, greasy rip off ba5t4rd

David Jenkins

posted on 1/10/07 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
The scrappies are variable around Ipswich - One is a total PITA and you have to go with a 'mechanic' to agree on what you want and they remove it (often badly). They then charge stupid prices. At the other extreme, there's one that lets you wander around and take what's there, will help with heavy shifting where necessary, and only ask sensible money at the counter once you've finished.

The main trouble these days is that scrap steel is so valuable that anything that isn't going to earn real money for them goes straight into the crusher.

A lot of stuff these days goes abroad - at the 2nd place mentioned above, they wouldn't take a couple of bits off a type 9 gearbox because they get £25 for whole boxes from a bloke who ships them to Africa! Didn't try to argue, as I only wanted a quid's worth of bits and they'd have a dead box.

Getting stuff for kits is getting harder every day...

[Edited on 1/10/07 by David Jenkins]

thunderace

posted on 1/10/07 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
i think it should be £10
i see guys go in for brake pads ect
the thing is the damage they do rip things apart to get bits out they want then making the whole item bin.
my mate owns a scrap yard and it seen it happen loads of times he now asks what are you in for if you reply a look he tell you fu..k off ,as you get so many guys in taking fuses bulbs for somthing to do i have watched them on cctv riping a car to bits braking stuff to get a £2 item out (switches ect).

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 1/10/07 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
My local scrappy is still a traditional type. You can wander around no problem. They usually dont charge me for small items. I got 2 complete cortina front hubs for £18. A sierra lsd ,shafts, hubs and calipers for £30. I even got a car trailer needing some welding for £50. Brilliant place

brynhamlet

posted on 1/10/07 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
I found a scrappy near me in Newark which not only will let you go and get your own bits, but even lent me a couple of spanners. They chase up Sierras cos they do stock racing and use the back axles out of them
When I asked they reckon to 1 or 2 a week and will even strip one of all the bits I would need for my next car and also give me V5 to go with the bits.
Didn't bother asking how much, but has got to be less hassle than having a rusty old Sierra on my drive for a couple of months

Benzine

posted on 1/10/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brynhamlet
I found a scrappy near me in Newark which not only will let you go and get your own bits, but even lent me a couple of spanners. They chase up Sierras cos they do stock racing and use the back axles out of them
When I asked they reckon to 1 or 2 a week and will even strip one of all the bits I would need for my next car and also give me V5 to go with the bits.
Didn't bother asking how much, but has got to be less hassle than having a rusty old Sierra on my drive for a couple of months

If that's the one I've been to then yeah it's great. Always interested in what I'm building, give small bits for nothing and are generally helpful. Clarks in grantham isn't very friendly from the few times I've been there.

[Edited on 1/10/07 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JC

posted on 1/10/07 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps - which one near Newark
BTW the one in Heckington (A17 South of Sleaford) is a good 'old fashioned' breaker too!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 1/10/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I always went to the 4 or 5 scrappies round the bank of the multiplex cinema in Nottingham. Very friendly load of people, would let you borrow tools etc, cheap as chips and some of the scrappers even had the stuff off-the-shelf at pretty good prices....

Health+safety was a nightmare though. Trying to get seized brake parts off an Orion with four other cars parked on top of it is not so safe, especially when they've got the crane out and they're throwing cars around... I had a few close calls infact!!!

Classic

scotty g

posted on 1/10/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I sometimes use a scrappy just outside Asford called Woodgates, great bunch of guys and really helpful, they have a sign that says minimum £5 but once they get to know you they don't worry too much , i went there the other day and bought a rear light socket for my Toyota and only paid a couple of quid.
JoelP

posted on 1/10/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
babbingtons in leeds was still reasonable last time i went. Most of the others seem to have closed anyway!
MikeRJ

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkinsat the 2nd place mentioned above, they wouldn't take a couple of bits off a type 9 gearbox because they get £25 for whole boxes from a bloke who ships them to Africa!

That's perfectly fair IMO. Unless the box is knackered they will lose money by selling a few parts of it, same with engines.

David Jenkins

posted on 2/10/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely - what I meant to convey was "I didn't even try to argue".

Pezza

posted on 2/10/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
My local is a fooking rip off.
Needed a rad for a rover 200 when I did an engine swap as the old one had rusted through and was pissing out coolant in half a dozen places.

Found one in a car intact, took it to the desk.
£20?
Told 'em to shove it somewhere warm and dark.
New one only cost me £27 ex vat which I claimed back anyway

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

brynhamlet

posted on 4/10/07 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
To find the one in Newark, come off the A1 at the North end of Newark onto London road. Pass one set of traffic lights. Turn left at next turn but one at Hawton Lane. Go to end. Turn left and travel down there until you come to a very tight left. Scrappy is at next bend on the left.
No piles, all cars flat to the floor. Apparently it's been there 35 years!!

James

posted on 11/10/07 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
There's 3 round here, 1 is a help yourself type that's filthy, dangerous and scares the hell out of me.
1 is where is ultra-clean where they strip the cars themselves and 90% of stuff is off the shelf and the prices are ultra-high to match.

The last is my favourite and is a help yourself. Relatively safe, pleasant, interested in Locosts people and cheap. I'm still in trauma to have discovered the other day it's been sold to the expensive tossers above.... and closed down! Gutted!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

martyn_16v

posted on 11/10/07 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
OK, I reckon the first one is either sunbury salvage (JB autos or whatever it's called now) or the one over near staines towards wraysbury. No idea about the other two though, where are they hiding?

jrevillug

posted on 29/10/07 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I always went to the 4 or 5 scrappies round the bank of the multiplex cinema in Nottingham. Very friendly load of people, would let you borrow tools etc, cheap as chips and some of the scrappers even had the stuff off-the-shelf at pretty good prices....

Health+safety was a nightmare though. Trying to get seized brake parts off an Orion with four other cars parked on top of it is not so safe, especially when they've got the crane out and they're throwing cars around... I had a few close calls infact!!!

Classic

He He. I bought a Rover SD1 V8-S from D+B Motors round the back there over the summer. V. friendly- Brian, the elder of the two brothers, runs a Triumph Mayflower. Don't know about buying parts, but the cars were only stacked 2 high, and people were removing parts themselves when I was looking at the Rover.

Anyone know any decent breakers in/around herts?

James

dnmalc

posted on 30/10/07 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Martyn
you forgot about the one on Chobham common (piled 3 high but accomodating), the one at sandhurst (I have yet to use them) and the breakers shop in Byfleet (ok but limited in stock).

martyn_16v

posted on 30/10/07 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't know there was one in Chobham, might have to go and have a look for it this week then

David Jenkins

posted on 31/10/07 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
The last is my favourite and is a help yourself. Relatively safe, pleasant, interested in Locosts people and cheap. I'm still in trauma to have discovered the other day it's been sold to the expensive tossers above.... and closed down! Gutted!

I found out last week that one of the better Ipswich scrappies has now been spoilt (The Whip Street Motors gravel pit site). Previously you would walk through the gate, talk to the man in the office, then go to where he directed you and then take the bits off yourself (if he was in a good mood).

Now the HSA have thrown their weight around (or the scrappy's insurers) and it's now a closed site. You have to negotiate with the man in a hut at the gate - non-employees can go no further. If you only want minor bits and pieces then it depends on whether there's someone available to take them off for you - and it's very rare that there will be.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.