Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham help me!
jnormandale

posted on 20/11/07 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham help me!

Hi, back on the caterham chasis subject again. Does anyone have a Caterham chasis plan to that of the R400? Would love to buy myself a Caterham however due to the immense lack of funding and being a poor student on work placement I reckon I am going to have to build it myself. There were so pretty useful subjects previously mentioned, however does anyone have the exact plan/chasis layout. Or if there is an similar chasis to this please advise.

Thanks James

mookaloid

posted on 20/11/07 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be surprised if there was a freely availble set of Caterham chassis plans out there that anyone could just build their own chassis from.

There's a reason why R400's cost thousands of ££££'s to buy!

Why not build a locost chassis? It may not be quite as good as a Caterham but it's a whole lot cheaper.

Cheers

mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

nick205

posted on 20/11/07 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Options...

1. McSorley chasis plans - do a search on here for a link to the website.

2. Haynes Roadster book - Amazon?

speedyxjs

posted on 20/11/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Options...

1. McSorley chasis plans - do a search on here for a link to the website.

2. Haynes Roadster book - Amazon?

Or uncle rons original book

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

D Beddows

posted on 20/11/07 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
There are some generic lotus 7 type cad drawings floating about - google or search on here for 'george cushing' - but there's no way you could build a chassis from them without quite a lot more work on them. There is no chance of you finding any real Caterham chassis drawings on the internet.

It depends what you want tbh, if it's the look of a Caterham then it is possible to fiddle about with the book drawings to get the car to look a bit more 'Cateresque', the key there is to move the scuttle back by about 5 inches BUT you'll find that has knock on effects on about 60% of the rest of the chassis so you're realy almost starting from scratch. The finished product wont fool anyone who knows anything about Caterhams either

If it's the performance of a Caterham you're after then you're as well building a book Locost or Roadster really well with all the proper bits and you'll get somewhere close ish to a Caterham (and unfortunately it will cost you somewhere close to a 2nd hand live axle, x-flow powered Caterham as well......)

There's actualy no reason why you can't scratch build an authentic replica Lotus 7 or a Caterham with the proper research but the key words there are 'scratch build'

scootz

posted on 20/11/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
It just so happens I have one...

It's a straight 51 reg chassis (no SVA to worry about) and comes with wide-track front suspension, de-dion rear suspension with A-frame, watt's linkage, quick-rack (1.9 turns), steering column, driveshafts, de-dion ears, uprights, hubs, R500 roll-bar (thicker one), pedals, handbrake assembly.

All genuine Caterham parts. Most have been powdercoated / painted and look really fresh.

The chassis needs the old rivet holes welded up and painted / powder-coated.

Unfortunately, it's not cheap! £3650 delivered

Only contemplating letting it go as I know that one of these days I'm going to hack the back end off and make some half-arsed attempt at an IRS set-up, thus completely ruining a perfectly fine chassis... someone stop me!!!!!

[Edited on 20/11/07 by scootz]

D Beddows

posted on 20/11/07 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
If I thought there was any chance I could 'loose' £3650 in the household accounts and get away with it I'd have that off you in a flash

Do you do easy payment terms? (joke )

scootz

posted on 20/11/07 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I do indeed... pay £3650 now and pay NOTHING later!

Got to be a winner!!!!!!!!!

TimC

posted on 20/11/07 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm amazed you haven't sold that yet.

dhutch

posted on 20/11/07 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Im new to this game.
- But hasnt someone bought a caterham/westy/mk chassis and mesured it?
- It would only be a few hours job to cad up a whole cat chassis and email it round.

Daniel

MikeRJ

posted on 20/11/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Im new to this game.
- It would only be a few hours job to cad up a whole cat chassis and email it round.
Daniel

The Locost is almost of copy of the pre-lit westy anyway, and I'm not convinced it's worth copying an MK chassis as they are pretty cheap to start with. Apart from that, the MK and Westfield aren't exactly authentic copies of the Caterham chassis.

stevec

posted on 20/11/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Im new to this game.

Daniel

Thats a great idea, when you have done it can I have a copy of the plans for nothing?
Steve.

dhutch

posted on 20/11/07 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Thats a great idea, when you have done it can I have a copy of the plans for nothing?
Steve.

Yeah sure, if your stumping up for the caterham?

D Beddows

posted on 20/11/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
well, if you do the search I suggested for george cushings plans someones done already done the measuring for you........ why aren't there loads of people building fake Caterhams from the drawings? well, that's always asuming no one is BUT the design of a Caterham means it's actualy a lot more fiddly to build than a fake Westfield when you start looking properly into it AND if you're building it without the benefit of Caterhams jigs and welding contractors I don't believe you would end up with a car thats in any way better than a fake Westfield (ie a Locost) anyway.

The Formula 27 chassis is a bit more Caterham proportioned than most 7 alikes I think btw

[Edited on 20/11/07 by D Beddows]

stevec

posted on 20/11/07 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Steve.

Yeah sure, if your stumping up for the caterham?

Stumping?
Sorry thats a new one on me, I done humping and dumping WTF is stumping?

[Edited on 20/11/07 by stevec]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.