Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailer Draw Bars?
Guinness

posted on 9/1/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer Draw Bars?

Following on from Madteg's inspirational trailer design, I am trying to re-work my own trailer project.

I inherited a caravan chassis from Jambojeef. Trouble is when we first measured it, it had a 3m bed. Which meant it would fit in my yard. Now when I have re-measured it, it has a 4m bed, plus the triangular draw bar bit on the front (1.6m) which means it ain't going to fit in my yard.

So, inspired by Madteg's design I am about to set to the caravan with an angry grinder to shorten the chassis. I know I can't just chop the back end off, as that will increase the nose weight. So I'm planning on shortening the chassis as much as possible to give me the base inc axle, suspension, brakes and lights. Then have a removable / tipping bed on top.

The problem I have is with the length of the bed, to clear the hitch when it's in storage. At the moment the draw bar? bit is 1.6m from the front rail of the chassis. Is there a rule / reason for this? Seems like a bit over long. I guess it's so you don't damage the tow car when doing tight turns. But my current tow car is 1.7m wide, with the tow bar mounted centrally, this gives a max width either side of 850mm. Allow a good bit for clearance, and if I say 1000mm? Would that work?

Having re-read that post before posting, that doesn't seem very clear. Have a think about it and I'll do a drawing!

Cheers

Mike

britishtrident

posted on 9/1/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Distance from the tow hitch to the trailer axle has a big effect on snaking, ie traillers with long draw bars are a lot less likely to snake.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Guinness

posted on 9/1/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks lads.

This is the sketch design. Grateful for any comments.

Sorry it's a bit big!

Revised Trailer Design
Revised Trailer Design

Cheers

Mike

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.