Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: RAC Rollbar - What is it.
dhutch

posted on 12/5/08 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
RAC Rollbar - What is it.

Proberbly a very noobie question, but ive not managed to find much on the search. (is there a way to search by topic titles only).

But what is defined as a RAC rollbar, and why is it called that?

I would want to know that in the case of the worse happening i would have given myself a half decent chance of telling the tale.
- So at minimum i would say a decently mounted proberbly braced roll hoop was in order, is that basicaly what is ment by a rac bar, and opposed to anything else.
- What are people thoughts on full four or six point cages. I notice a fair few (about half) of the MK at bruntingthorpe had cages. And of cause all racing locosts do.

Cheers.

Daniel

mookaloid

posted on 12/5/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
A RAC approved roll bar is one constructed using the bluebook guidelines.

For a Seven this would mean that the bar should be of a suitable height - i.e. if you draw a line from the top of the engine to the top of the bar then that line should be at least an inch above the drivers helmeted head.

It should also have a diagonal brace to stop 'lozenging' and backstays and possibly a brace down to the passenger footwell.

I have seen scrutineers fail a fully caged seven because it failed the line test above the drivers helmet even though the cage would stop the driver being harmed in the event of a roll.

HTH

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

dhutch

posted on 12/5/08 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

For a Seven this would mean that the bar should be of a suitable height - i.e. if you draw a line from the top of the engine to the top of the bar then that line should be at least an inch above the drivers helmeted head.

It should also have a diagonal brace to stop 'lozenging' and backstays and possibly a brace down to the passenger footwell.

Right, fair enough.
- So if its sold as an RAC rollbar, or if a cars sold as having an RAC rollbar, there is potentally some form of guarantee that its safe and adequate for the job? Unless i guess the person is telling porks, or doesnt actually know, or something?
- Do you actually have to get the design or manufatored product certified or anything. Or can any one buy/download the book and bodge some old scaff bar into a semi sensable shape with pigion welds and p38?

I know proberbly a lot of people might not worry, and obvously im not planning to crash.
- However at the same time, as i say, i would like to hope whatever protection is there is largly as i seams and upto the job. Otherwise its just pointless, and nothing more than a center point for a false sence of security!

Also, to clarify, is this is the same RAC as the orange transits and bad tv ad's?

Daniel

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/5/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
top of the engine? hmm would that include a glass fiber airbox or need to be the cyclinder heads or rocker covers i.e something that isn't just going to snap off if rubbed along the ground with the weight of the car on it?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 12/5/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid it's a case of buyer beware. In a worse case scenario someone could make a roll bar that looks like it is built to the Blue Book specs out of aluminium tube, bolt it to the chassis with rivinuts and call it an 'RAC Rollbar'. It wouldn't pass any form of scruitineering and it wouldn't protect you in any way if you rolled the car but there's no legal requirement to provide proof that it is to the proper spec. when you sell a car. However I would suggest it would be wise for the seller to only say it meets RAC standards if it actually does (as you might well have some comeback otherwise) but if it just looks like an RAC spec rollbar then it's probably safest to assume it's not until you can prove otherwise.

TBH most of that only matters if you're planning on competing in some form of motorsport mind you but it's a good thing to ask a seller about in any case.

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/5/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
I'm afraid it's a case of buyer beware. In a worse case scenario someone could make a roll bar that looks like it is built to the Blue Book specs out of aluminium tube, bolt it to the chassis with rivinuts and call it an 'RAC Rollbar'. It wouldn't pass any form of scruitineering and it wouldn't protect you in any way if you rolled the car but there's no legal requirement to provide proof that it is to the proper spec. when you sell a car. However I would suggest it would be wise for the seller to only say it meets RAC standards if it actually does (as you might well have some comeback otherwise) but if it just looks like an RAC spec rollbar then it's probably safest to assume it's not until you can prove otherwise.

TBH most of that only matters if you're planning on competing in some form of motorsport mind you but it's a good thing to ask a seller about in any case.

I remember reading about someone who bought a drag race car only to find out when prepping it, that the cage was infact only tack welded together and that the 'welds' were actually finger smoothed body filler!!!

Buyer beware alright…

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 12/5/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
There are tales as well of people rolling up for scruitineering with roll bars joined together with that liquid metal repair stuff and/or rivinuts and the scrutineers pulling the bar off the car by hand in front of them

Probably an urban myth tbh but after some of the bodges I've seen maybe not........

mookaloid

posted on 12/5/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
top of the engine? hmm would that include a glass fiber airbox or need to be the cyclinder heads or rocker covers i.e something that isn't just going to snap off if rubbed along the ground with the weight of the car on it?

It would include the first hard part at the front of the car where it would obviously rest in the event of a roll. I said the engine as that is usually the highest structural point at the front but it obviously isn't the case on say a middy or maybe not on a BEC

Cheers

mark

mookaloid

posted on 12/5/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

Right, fair enough.
- So if its sold as an RAC rollbar, or if a cars sold as having an RAC rollbar, there is potentally some form of guarantee that its safe and adequate for the job? Unless i guess the person is telling porks, or doesnt actually know, or something?
- Do you actually have to get the design or manufatored product certified or anything. Or can any one buy/download the book and bodge some old scaff bar into a semi sensable shape with pigion welds and p38?

I know proberbly a lot of people might not worry, and obvously im not planning to crash.
- However at the same time, as i say, i would like to hope whatever protection is there is largly as i seams and upto the job. Otherwise its just pointless, and nothing more than a center point for a false sence of security!

Also, to clarify, is this is the same RAC as the orange transits and bad tv ad's?

Daniel

I believe that a manufactured roll bar or cage said to be approved would need to have a certificate from the manufacturer.

Failing that there are standards for inspecting it such as evidence of the materials used grinding and flattening of welds is not permitted, mounting points have to be of suitable strength etc.

What are you wanting to know for? Are you going to be competing in Motorsport?

The chances are that even if you are competing in say hill climbs or sprints you won't be asked for any certificates and as long as it looks as if it is ok and it passes the line test you should have no problems.

HTH

Mark

dhutch

posted on 12/5/08 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Well, im looking to buy into the sport with a second hand seven.

Almost certainly no ever going to compete, but certianly planning to attend a number of trackdays, and drive it frequently, and at times with gusto.

Obvously again, im not planning to crash. but having slithered of the road on at about 20 in a tintop on the way back from runing my sister up the road just before this christmas, only to have a peice of fence come through the windscreen, miss my head by inches, and put a whacking great dent in the tailgate. Im quite aware of how suddenly and quickly things can go wrong.

Hence, while doing 110 down the back stright, or on my imfamous private road, it would be nice to think that the rollbar would actually take the weight of the car off my head somewhat if the worse did happen.

Basicaly, im just trying to work out what to look for in a car, and ive seen 'rac rollbar' come up in the description a lot.

Cheers, Daniel.

dhutch

posted on 12/5/08 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Also as i say, does anyone have an thoughts or information full roll cages?
- Ive not ridden or sat in a car that has them. How much to they intrude your veiw and entry/exit from the car? How safe is a rollhoop compaired to a full cage?

This is the mk indy cage ive seen, looks like maybe quite a good compromise, although there doesnt seam to be much side protection.
- Maybe that could be added onto the existing cage.
- It also looks like it belongs with the car, very easy on the eye compaired to many.

Also, whats does and arm restraint consist of? Length of webbing from wrist to wheel?

Daniel

[Edited on 15/5/08 by dhutch]

mookaloid

posted on 12/5/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ok well you don't need RAC certification for what you are going to use it for.

I would say a cage is going to be noticeably safer ideally with some side impact bars too.

In a roll with just a hoop the biggest problem might be your arms flailing about and getting struck - ripped off etc. You could use restraining straps round your forearms and legs to stop this or you could have side bars like this:

I don't think that visibility will be impaired much but some cages can be tricky to get in and out of - some Caterhams can only be accessed through the 'roof'

Hope that helps.

Cheers

mark

D Beddows

posted on 12/5/08 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Entry through the top is usually the 'easiest' on Locosts too but it does depend how tall/fat/bendy you are Vision's not an issue

One thing to bear in mind is that if you're installing a full cage on an already built car is that you usually need to add a couple of extra chassis tubes to brace it properly so you can end up taking quite a bit of the car apart....

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/5/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I’m for just doing it properly with a full cage, side bars and nets. We’ve all seen the u-tube clips where even minor mistakes end up with spectacular crashes, what’s the point in skimping on safety equipment? A full cage isn't even expensive.

Volvorsport

posted on 12/5/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
arm restraints - bit of webbing attatched to your harness

youll need them for almost anything even a RWYB at santa pod .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

iank

posted on 12/5/08 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Time for the scary video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svzmp56YPY0

Now full cage or just a rear hoop?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

dhutch

posted on 12/5/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Time for the scary video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svzmp56YPY0

Now full cage or just a rear hoop?

Yeah, i knew that would be that before i even clicked it.
- Not seen the start before tho with the car-cam view.

Maddess.

Daniel

procomp

posted on 13/5/08 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hi just to clear a few thing up here.

1 reference to a RAC bar in nonsense. The RAC no longer have anything to do with the running of motorsport . Theses days regulations are run by the MSA and the governing body overall the FIA.

Regarding current regs as they stand a rollbar/hoop ect to comply with the MSA blue book must be constructed from 1" 3/4 or 45mm material that meets a strength laid out in the book. Anything in smaller material must be put forward for simulation testing by MIRA who will run a number of tests on the cage and just as important the chassis it is being attached to also.

For full rolcages there is the same basic rules ie 44mm tubing anything less must be put forward for testing.

However the thing that you have to take into consideration is the desighn of the cage. there are set desighnes in the blue book that must be followed or if deviated from again put forward for testing. Also there is the fact that there are many people and manufacturers who are supplying roll hoops and full cages that DO NOT comply with the basic requirements that the blue book lays out. only the weekend owners of one popular car where told that there full cages do not comply with any regulation due to the double bends on the front main hoop and that the front to rear tubes had an angle in them that certainly dose not comply.

So for competition use you must be careful to fully check what it is you are intending to buy or construct.

For road use and track day use it would certainly be wise to use a desighn that complied with the blue book regulation as those designs are proved ect. Although there is currently nothing to stop you building or using something that has more chance of injuring you rather than protecting you. Although there are more and more trackday organisers who are getting fussy as to what they will allow on track. And are insisting that they must comply with the MSA/blue book.

If serious i would do some serious research first as there are many people and manufacturers who just do not understand the regulations as they stand and are offering INCORRECT advice and product for use under MSA use.

HTH cheers Matt

dhutch

posted on 13/5/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi just to clear a few thing up here.

1 reference to a RAC bar in nonsense. The RAC no longer have anything to do with the running of motorsport . Theses days regulations are run by the MSA and the governing body overall the FIA.

Regarding current regs as they stand a rollbar/hoop ect to comply with the MSA blue book must be constructed from 1" 3/4 or 45mm material that meets a strength laid out in the book. Anything in smaller material must be put forward for simulation testing by MIRA who will run a number of tests on the cage and just as important the chassis it is being attached to also.

For full rolcages there is the same basic rules ie 44mm tubing anything less must be put forward for testing.

However the thing that you have to take into consideration is the desighn of the cage. there are set desighnes in the blue book that must be followed or if deviated from again put forward for testing. Also there is the fact that there are many people and manufacturers who are supplying roll hoops and full cages that DO NOT comply with the basic requirements that the blue book lays out. only the weekend owners of one popular car where told that there full cages do not comply with any regulation due to the double bends on the front main hoop and that the front to rear tubes had an angle in them that certainly dose not comply.

So for competition use you must be careful to fully check what it is you are intending to buy or construct.

For road use and track day use it would certainly be wise to use a desighn that complied with the blue book regulation as those designs are proved ect. Although there is currently nothing to stop you building or using something that has more chance of injuring you rather than protecting you. Although there are more and more trackday organisers who are getting fussy as to what they will allow on track. And are insisting that they must comply with the MSA/blue book.

If serious i would do some serious research first as there are many people and manufacturers who just do not understand the regulations as they stand and are offering INCORRECT advice and product for use under MSA use.

HTH cheers Matt

Matt, thankyou very much for your post.
- I think it really answers the question, and confirms my fears that potentially even reputable manufactures are producing cages with do not comply with any form of regs.

For the sake of what im doing (road and trackdays) is sounds like proberbly my best bet is to optain a copy of the blue book, read what it says to get an idea of wha is required, and then make sure whatever i buy appears to fall within the remit of a safe design.

And at the end of the day partly it has to be a case of common sence like buying anything else. I've seen a lot of proper race-spec cages (saxmax, 2cv, locost, etc) and i have a fairly good grasp/knowlage/instinct about what is strong, and hopfully what a good weld looks like, compaired to filler or something where half the skill has been with a angle grinder not a welding torch.

Daniel

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.