Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Scottish Roadtrip updated with details
flak monkey

posted on 7/7/08 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Scottish Roadtrip updated with details

For those who remember I am off on holiday up to scotland from the 26th July to the 8th August (then onto P'boro show!)

Anyone who wishes to join us for the duration/day/evening/whatever is more than welcome. please U2U me for my mobile number and details.

The itinery:

1: Fri 25th: Drive from Kings Lynn to Lake District. I havent yet decided where we are stopping, but somewhere in that vicinity.

2: Sat 26th: Lake district to Pitlochry. We are camping at Loch Tummel overnight on saturday. Taking in Edradour distillery, slamon ladder and queens view on sunday morning.

3: Sun 27th: Pitlochry to Fort Augustus. Camping at Loch Lochy.

4: Monday 28th: Fort Augustus to Skye via Mallaig ferry Camping at Glen Brittle. Take in the views of the Cullins, and a couple of walks if the weather is good.

5: Tuesday 29th: Glen Brittle to Dunvegan. Take in Talisker distillery and Dunvegan castle.

6: Weds 30th: Dunvegan to Applecross. Via Dornie (Eilean Donan Castle) and Loch Carron. Approaching Applcross from the west, across the pass.

7: Thurs 31: Applecross to Torridon via coast road. Take in views and generally take it easy. (Short driving day).

8: Fri 1st: Torridon to Big Sand: Via Diabaig and Redpoint (theres no road between the 2 so its a bit out of the way). Camping at Big Sand.

9: Sat 2nd: Big Sand to Ardmair (Ullapool).

10 Sun 3rd: Ullapool to Rosemarkie (just north of Inverness).

11: Mon 4th: Rosemarkie to Fraserburgh.

12: Tues 5th: Fraserburgh to Blair Gowrie

13: Weds 6th: Blair Gowrie to Derbyshire (not sure where, probably Hope area).

14: Thurs 7th: Hope to Home!

The whole trip is just under 1500 miles. Takes in a lot of sights in the highlands. I intend to go back and do further north another year.

Not all the details are here. If anyone has suggestions for specific days, let me know, I'll take them into account.

If anyone wants to join us, let me know.

Cheers,
David

[Edited on 9/7/08 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Jonte

posted on 7/7/08 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry can´t join you, but it sounds good.

But I hope you got your weather gear with you

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/7/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
It will be raining a FortWilliam, it always rains there

watch the bumps on the old Mallaig road there are some right sump smashers there as can be seem by the huge grooves cut in the tarmac

Superb twisty roads but heaps of bikers use them this time of the year, literally hundreds

[Edited on 7/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Big Stu

posted on 7/7/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
There is a pub in rosemarkie called the plough recomend this for a meal and a few jars. You have a fair chance of seeing some dolphins down the beach.
Mix

posted on 7/7/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Try to take in at least one of the following: Portsoy, Gardenstown or Pennan during your leg to Fraserbrough. Three lovely fishing villages.......Local Hero was filmed at Pennan and the Pennan Inn has a fine range of malts.

Hope all goes well

Mick

ecosse

posted on 7/7/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like great trip, I take it you mean to start in July rather than June though?

But presuming you haven't started yet, the Falkirk wheel is worth a look if you are on or near the M80
The Glenfinnan monument and visitor centre on the way to Mallaig is worth a stop (if you get there mid afternoon, watch for the steam train on the viaduct), as of course is Culloden up at Inverness.

And I would recommend turning off at Stirling and heading for Crianlarich and then up across the Rannoch moor and Glencoe, rather than up the A9 to Pitlochry (boring road swamped by unmarked police cars), and if you do get to Fort William the cable car ride up Aonach Mor is stunning

Cheers
Alex
PS
Just back from Fort William and the weather was lovely

JoelP

posted on 7/7/08 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
sounds awesome! Shame i have no car and no time off work!
dave1888

posted on 7/7/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
6: Weds 30th: Dunvegan to Applecross. Via Dornie (Eilean Donan Castle) and Loch Carron. Approaching Applcross from the west, across the pass.
A group of us where over this pass on Saturday Awesome is the only word. Make sure your car has plenty water. I hit boiling point by the time i got to the top. There are 1 or 2 bends that are a wee bit tight i was on full lock and just made it round. The views are spectacular.
PS if you decide to get the cheeseburger from the Applecross inn ask them to make it well done. Big sand campsite was good clean toilets and fairly level camping areas. Im sure you'll enjoy the whole journey its a pity you weren't up last week you could have joined the Scottish kit car guys. check out some photos and video of the trip HERE

[Edited on 7/7/2008 by dave1888]

Benzine

posted on 8/7/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'd love to go on this, I doubt my MK will be ready could always take the volvo and join along for a couple of days. My girlfriend and I are planning on being in scotland around that time anyway
flak monkey

posted on 9/7/08 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Lol, yes I meant july!

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, will take them into account

Sera

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/7/08 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
If I can get the time off I am in

flak monkey

posted on 9/7/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
If I can get the time off I am in

You are more than welcome! waiting patiently for the weather forecast at the moment....

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 21/7/08 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
With the long term forecast looking a bit rough for next week, I am not sure whats happening at the moment

Sera

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.