Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ekranoplan. My next big project.
scotty g

posted on 17/7/08 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Ekranoplan. My next big project.

Hi all,
I have had a fascination with these things for years, I think that the Ekranoplan is a genius craft that could solve many problems but only the russians ever really embraced it.
ekranoplan
They are more effecient and quicker than large aircraft with the bonus that they don't need and airfieldto land, a harbour with a nice big dock side is fine and there are plent of those around nearly ll the major cities around the world.
But this is what I want to build, a nice little 2 seater version like this one.
here

JAG

posted on 17/7/08 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
If you search for "WIG aircraft" (Wing In Ground effect) you'll see that they've been used by many others and that there are many homebuilt aircraft around.

I did a small project at University about this type of aircraft - as you say they are fascinating.

There are lot's of Radio controlled model plans available too.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/7/08 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
There’s also a hovercraft that can be converted with bolt on wings so you have the option of each. I have looked at them before, quite like the idea though the big the Ekranoplan was an accident waiting to happen (too big, to cumbersome and too low) bet it scared the crap out a few fishing boats in its till

I say go for it, looks a really interesting project and fun to use.

this is the one I was talking about -

[Edited on 17/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Omni

posted on 17/7/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
A UK Site with some info :-)

http://www.flyboat.co.uk/index.htm

The model ones on the news page look good

O

D Beddows

posted on 17/7/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Aren't these kind of the trike of the plane/boat world ie all the disadvantages of each craft (ie need huge power to take of/can't fly in rough conditions) with few compensating benefits?
scotty g

posted on 17/7/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I guess you're right in that they do have many dissadvantages but I think they are extremely cool and lets face it, if we all thought about practicallity above all else then none of us would be on a site like this one would we?
D Beddows

posted on 17/7/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
No, you're absolutely right and by all means go for it! I remember seeing footage of the huge Russian ones on TV and they must have been quite awesome things to see in real life - I was just checking though to make sure I hadn't missed the point
russbost

posted on 17/7/08 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I had a look at a microlight someones building - cost about £18k brand new + £9k for a second hand engine, can be stored & take off & land from a farm strip, carries 2 people much like a Cessna 152, but will cruise at 100mph & 30mpg!! - just might be an alternative - don't know if they do them with floats instead of wheels tho'

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/7/08 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I had a look at a microlight someones building - cost about £18k brand new + £9k for a second hand engine, can be stored & take off & land from a farm strip, carries 2 people much like a Cessna 152, but will cruise at 100mph & 30mpg!! - just might be an alternative - don't know if they do them with floats instead of wheels tho'

as far as I'm aware the main difference is you don't need a pilots licence for a ground effect vehicle.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 17/7/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
So what you need is a vehicle that stays in ground effect to 15,000ft

I like the Ekro's but can't see the point, but hey......

ATB

Simon

RK

posted on 17/7/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Flying on floats or on a flying boat is the most dangerous aviation there is. If you want to die young, continue.

Check the statistics and you will find several people die, and take other innocents with them, trying to fly float planes. I have known a lot of them.

I did it professionally for years, and I can tell you the concept of a moving airfield is introducing so many variables you wouldn't believe it. It is very hard to land and take off in a float plane. There is an awful lot of friction stopping you from moving forward, and a lot when you get your pitch wrong, and flip over when taking off or landing.

If you are serious, I suggest coming to the West Coast of Canada and get some serious training from people who do this every day. I won't even get into the weather aspect - waterways don't have instrument landing equipment and restrict the practical usefulness of such craft.

Remember, a car can be pulled off to the side of the road in case of a problem. An aircraft is not quite the same thing. Howard Hughes was an extraordinary individual, but he had the means to get the best training and engineers possible.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.