Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tooling up for the build - poll
paul the 6th

posted on 31/7/08 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Tooling up for the build - poll

Well my last post about MK indy vs. haynes roadster seemed to ruffle a few feathers so lets see how we fair with this one.

I've just been shopping on the screwfix website bought alsorts of bits such as a rivet gun, some grinding discs to go with my grinder (only got cutting discs at the moment), some punches and lots of other bits and pieces (about a hundred quidsworth actually!)...

Yesterday I bought a load of spring & G clamps - and - a bench drill (£40! bargain) from LIDL.

Buying all these bits in preparation for starting the build has got me thinking - how did everyone else go about tooling up to build?

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
eznfrank

posted on 31/7/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I was quite lucky as the start of my build coincided with me working for the same company for 10 years which meant I got £500 worth of vouchers. There was only a few places I could have them from but one of the places was Halfrauds, and cos I was spending quite a bit they gave me a trade card - BONUS
jollygreengiant

posted on 31/7/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Was ( technically still am) motor mech by trade so tool already at home were very comprehensive. Any one who has seen my small tool box will know what I mean.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

StevieB

posted on 31/7/08 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I bought myself a decent socket set and a few sring clamps at the start, and the rest as I needed them. It's amazing how much stuff you end up with by the end of a build.

I figued it was worth buying all the tools rather than borrowing as I'll need them again for maintenance and/or future builds.

Rufforth autojumble (this saturday coming) is good for tools as well as materials and (bike) parts.

paul the 6th

posted on 31/7/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
ah yeah I'm ready and waiting for the jumble at rufforth - went for a ride on my bike through there the other day - is the autojumble at the "Rufforth Park" just outside of the village centre? Or is it somewhere in the centre down one of the side streets? I live less than 3 miles away and never knew it existed till last week!

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
StevieB

posted on 31/7/08 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Probably Rufforth Park (never knew it was alled that). About half a mile out of the other side of the village coming from your direction.

Like I said before - you can't miss it as there'll be a queue of cars and bike sto get in there.

Sadly I won't be there his month as I'm off to see a man with a lathe to get some work done.

paul the 6th

posted on 31/7/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
aye it sounds like the one I saw just outside the village on the west side...

I'm quite excited - about to order my mig welder, I've already ordered 3 metres of 25x25x1.6 box section to have a practice making a work stool & tool rack before I take the plunge and buy the chassis pack in a few weeks. Gonna grab some bits of scrap from the jumble too

--------

matt.c

posted on 31/7/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Get one of these.

I wish i had got one as it will save you so much time in the long run.

StevieB

posted on 31/7/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ooh yeah, get one of them ^^^^^^^^

And don't do what I did and buy a dremel - the cheapo ones are just as good and, even if they break, you could replace it 4 or 5 times over for the price of a dremel.

PS - the B&Q out on Hull Road was doing compressors for £66 a pop. A mate bought one and it's good enough for general stuff

[Edited on 31/7/08 by StevieB]

MkIndy7

posted on 31/7/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have said the exact opposite of the above... if you give them some stick the £10 ones last no time at all! we went through loads.

I and a fair few others on here would recomend the Black and Decker version for about £30 and it comes with some tools and a 2 maybe 3 year warrenty.

I'd also recomend a set of Halfords Ratchet spanners, very useful tools with the small accessory pieces as well.

Danozeman

posted on 1/8/08 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
I had alot of tools already as im a mechanic but iv bought a few tools for the build like a rivnut gun etc.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.