Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit Car Idea
Ninehigh

posted on 4/5/09 at 01:45 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like unless you can find a short engine it's going in the back.

iank

posted on 4/5/09 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Alfa boxer, Renault 5, BMW BEC are all very low engines.

Even the R1 is pretty low mounted for FWD with some thought about replacing the airbox (and packaging some kind of reverse for IVA).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ninehigh

posted on 4/5/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Would it not be possible to lean the engine back so the pistons are facing more toward you and therefore it would be lower?

mr henderson

posted on 4/5/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Would it not be possible to lean the engine back so the pistons are facing more toward you and therefore it would be lower?

Wouldn't really help because the centre of rotation you are suggesting would need to be where the driveshafts exit the diff, some distance back from the engine.

John

Ninehigh

posted on 4/5/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ah so doing that would effectively mean that the engine's dragging on the floor? Looking out the window at mine now and from what I can picture yeah it'd just mean the engine's at a funny angle and when the piston goes it'll hit you in the face...

As another thought why do you not want to go with the mid setup?

mr henderson

posted on 4/5/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

As another thought why do you not want to go with the mid setup?

I think the OP's idea was that if a FWD set up was used then ALL the mechanical parts from a FWD car could be used, so basically a straight parts swap.

With a mid engined set up there are quite a number of technical difficulties to be overcome. For instance, the gearchange, and as another for instance the need to either fit a handbrake system to what was the front wheels (now at the back) or find a way of allowing what was the rear wheels (complete with handbrake system) to accept drive shafts.

All doable, of course, but not really in line with what the OP was asking

John

[Edited on 4/5/09 by mr henderson]

seansverige

posted on 5/5/09 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Seconded - stick to the brief: making it mid-engined or a having a Seven's bonnet line misses the point.

(GRRR, please correct as needed) To me, 2+2 - both the Quantum specifically and the term generally - suggests something that's good looking, good fun but with a modicum of practicality: something you could contemplate taking on a week's driving holiday with more than a single change of clothes. As I see it, whether the car is front or rear drive is almost secondary to the fact it's front engined, which it is for packaging reasons as a 2+2 (unless you want to re-invent the Porsche.) RWD would be nice but as the 1-series isn't near cheap enough yet as a donor, so this basically means a 3, which means keeping the wheelbase unless we want to hack the drivetrain up - which negates the parts swap element. The FWD option is simpler, cheaper and there are a plethora of candidates.

GRRR: how important is it that this is a spaceframe? I guess if you're seriously considering building something this is the most most practical type of structure though it has been pointed out this is difficult with struts I have been reading about the current TT's spaceframe - but I can only find images of the R8's chassis, and I suspect it's a hybrid structure anyway.

The Audi TT, VW BlueSport Roadster, and Seat Tango all demonstrate that good looking front engined, strut-suspended cars are possible. Comparisons to the Jester and Firecat are inherently false - these are b*stard children of a Seven and a buggy - not 2+2's. I can't find data for their length / wheelbases, but they're both short which makes them look dumpy and a 2+2 will by definition need to be bigger.

So the question is even if it's not your cup of tea, do you think there IS a market for such a vehicle? If not, why not - and if you are interested, what would be your selection criteria?

Still wouldn't go for a Quantum, but my interest has been piqued - couldn't make Stoneleigh, but if at Newark or Donny will definitely take a closer look and have a chat with some Quantum owners

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.