Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Totally fed up now!!
02GF74

posted on 19/8/09 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
are you able to continue this process to see if the lever ever stops droipping, e.g. say you have added 1 litre?

it does sound like water is leaving the engine - once warmed up, metal expands so if there is a crack, it opens up and water gets out .... but weird hings is you would expect to see that come out somwhere.

You mention exhaust ports are water free - water about inlets? bear in mind the water can exaporate in a hot engine so in this hot weather, you won't see it as steam.

you meniotn you leave the cap off - I cannot imagine 100 ml of water evoprating out of that but ......

Coose

posted on 19/8/09 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
For clarity, here's Mike's thermostat housing. I had one similar on my Striker from a ZRX1100, though I didn't run a stat. Does the level drop if you leave the car in the garage for a few days without running it?

It's unfortunately sounding like you have a cracked head. I'm wondering if it's worth the expense of getting yours pressure tested etc. when another head won't be particularly expensive?

Just a thought, is it worth considering a change to something slightly more modern, such as a ZRX1100/1200?

Spin 'er off Well...

Guinness

posted on 19/8/09 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Coose

Thanks. I have half of nothing left to spend on the car, all my cash is tied up on sites at the moment.

I've been eyeing up an S Type Jag with a 3 litre V6 and manual box for £1,200! But I think the cost of that + new exhausts + megasquirt is going to be prohibitive.

My email is down at the minute. Could you do me a favour and post the following message on NE7ER's list?

I've decided to do an engine change, today. I've sourced a replacement engine, but need a hand getting it out of the boot and into the engine bay. It's either a 2 man lift, or has anyone got a hoist I can borrow?

Cheers

Mike

Coose

posted on 19/8/09 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Done.

If you do go down the route of replacing the motor with something else in the future, I suggested a ZRX as you may be able to use a lot of your existing bits, such as the prop shaft, exhaust, the majority of the loom etc. so to keep costs down.

Saying that, my 2.5 X-Type is rather good so I can only assume that the 3 litre can only be better (same motor, bigger bore). Is the S-Type RWD?

Spin 'er off Well...

Guinness

posted on 19/8/09 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coose
Done.

If you do go down the route of replacing the motor with something else in the future, I suggested a ZRX as you may be able to use a lot of your existing bits, such as the prop shaft, exhaust, the majority of the loom etc. so to keep costs down.

Saying that, my 2.5 X-Type is rather good so I can only assume that the 3 litre can only be better (same motor, bigger bore). Is the S-Type RWD?

Thanks Coose!

Yes, the S type is RWD. Thought process goes as follows:-

Now the engine is out of the Indy, take some measurements and build a dummy front chassis in timber.
Buy the Jagggggg when I get paid.
It's RWD, so the gearbox / clutch should work straight out of the box. Apparently the exhaust headers face the right way too and can be re-used. Then replace the inlet manifold with either 6 throttle bodies, or the one from a Mundeo.

Fit the Jaggggg engine into the timber chassis, getting the mounts sorted etc.

Then rip the Zed out and fit the fecking big Jag engine over the early part of next year!

Mike

petrolhead

posted on 19/8/09 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your woes Mike.

It's always frustrating when you have a fault that you can't easily (low cost) find the answer

I am unable to help with lifing, poorly back, but ok to help fettling if needed

[Edited on 19/8/09 by petrolhead]

Indylight900

posted on 19/8/09 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't read all the posts so I appologize if this has already been suggested.

During the bleeding process are you using the bleed screw on the water pump ?

Guinness

posted on 19/8/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave

Yup, bled the awkward one that is on the top casing of the pump, which in my case is halfway down the transmission tunnel.

Now the old engine is out, I'm going to stick it on a pallet and connect the carbs / wiring and cooling system up as simply as possible and see what the score is.

Cheers

Mike

Indylight900

posted on 19/8/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like to see the photos of that experiment

Dave K

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.