Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How far will I get in a week?
MikeR

posted on 31/8/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Well ...........

I had all these plans.......

Dreams ...........

(which if you're bored of reading already = not as far as I wanted).

What I wanted to do was get everything fully welded apart from the roll bar which i'd do later. swap over to the 'final' engine and assemble the car with brake lines, steering, suspension maybe fuel lines and jury rigged electrics to start it.

I have got everything welded - except i thought it would take a max of 2 days ...... it took a LOT longer.

So that ate into time to do other things. I've ended up with a fully welded car (found a few welds I'd missed when i made the car years ago as well!!!). Made mountings for the feet top panels so they're removable / allow easy access - trying to make sure everything is easily maintainable once made. Mounted the nose + grill, added seat belt mounts, mounted arches (temporarily), made radiator mounts, made front cage hoop bolt in mounts (although messed on up slightly so it needs a spacer to allow it to bolt up due to welding too close to a chassis tube - grrr), towing points.

What I need to do now is make the brake lines - started those and stopped when I got annoyed yesterday. Decided to completely pack in and surprise g/f by being early and dressing nice. Unfortunately tidying up took more than the two hours i'd guessed .....over 5 hours later and one VERY understanding girlfriend had one very annoyed b/f turn up at 9:30pm for dinner.

(today I walked her dog, made her breakfast in bed, went shopping with her and took some nice photos of her - i was trying to earn some brownie points).

So ....... the todo list did get a little shorter and some stuff got added. Got to change the gearbox mount (miffed as its on the second iteration now and I fully welded it !!!) Going to make it fully removable to make fitting the engine and box easier - turned into an arse of a job late last night).

Need to figure out how i'm going to do the fuel lines - i can't see a way to fit them - hopefully remaking the gearbox mount will give a little more space at tunnel top therefore allowing them to run easier down the trans tunnel.

Need to mount the coil - i'm mounting everything on separate plates / bolts welded to the chassis so that I have no holes in it. Its a silly thing but i don't want holes in the chassis to let (risk) water in.

Need to make a battery mount - should be dead easy - got it mentally planned for the passenger footwell.

Need to fit the scuttle.

Need (maybe move the steering wheel back an inch - this will be an arse of a job as i fully welded the whole column years ago and don't want to have to cut it - depends on the seat).

Need to weld on tab for brake flexi to de-dion axle.

Need to make / buy fuel tank (special one off construction to fit my special rear end).

make fuel tank mounts.

Need to paint / panel / make bonnet.

Need to order seat foam / new drive shafts / ali panels.

Also need to buy a new protective jacket - didn't do anything to the other one, its just a padded / thermal jacket and I had to keep stopping due to sweat dripping from me!!!!

(there is a much longer todo list but i'm keeping that secret )

If you're interested let me know and I'll post a picture or two

blakep82

posted on 1/9/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
i don't know, dinner at your girlfriends, breakfast at hers the next morning, sounds alright to me

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.