Author: Subject: garage lighting
Confused but excited.

posted on 2/3/12 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
Hi All

Sorry to hijack the thread but where you have more than one strip light, are these all running off one switch ?

I have one ceiling rose fitting at the moment with one switch and wanted to fit a strip light as my next prep job...

Can you link say 3 strip lights to each other so they all work off the same switch ? If so how are they wired ?

thanks
Paul

in your rose of the existing light there will be a live and a neutral. Just connect this to the lights, and loop in and out to the end of the run.

[Edited on 14/9/09 by JoelP]

Do NOT wire them like that.
Connect the earth wires in as well, as the flourescents have metal cases.
Better still, if you are not sure how to wire your lights up safely, get someone in who is.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

rodgling

posted on 2/3/12 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought three of these off Ebay, they're really good:

NEW 500W HALOGEN SECURITY LIGHT FLOODLIGHT WITH MOTION PIR SENSOR | eBay

It's like daylight in my garage now with 1500W + of lighting, although it does mean it's about 15p an hour to light it. The other benefit is a bit of extra warmth which is quite nice.

[Edited on 2/3/12 by rodgling]

loggyboy

posted on 2/3/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I got my flur tube for £7.50 from wilkinson:

Stott

posted on 2/3/12 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
Hi All

Sorry to hijack the thread but where you have more than one strip light, are these all running off one switch ?

I have one ceiling rose fitting at the moment with one switch and wanted to fit a strip light as my next prep job...

Can you link say 3 strip lights to each other so they all work off the same switch ? If so how are they wired ?

thanks
Paul

in your rose of the existing light there will be a live and a neutral. Just connect this to the lights, and loop in and out to the end of the run.

Better still, if you are not sure how to wire your lights up safely, get someone in who is.

Can I ask - why not?

theduck

posted on 2/3/12 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
My lighting

And a night time picture of my garage before the kit moved in. it was pitch black outside when I took this.

Irony

posted on 2/3/12 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion the more light the better. I once did a project were I needed lots of light and different varieties of light for pennies. I also use light a lot in my job (exhibition designer). Here is what I have found out over the years.

White walls, white floors white everything. White reflects light so this is the correct colour.

Filament

Good light quality - poor lumens per watt

Halogen

Beautiful light, makes your work look lovely, gets very hot. Poor lumens per watt

fluorescent strip or compact

Poor quality light, readily available and cheap. Reasonable lumens per watt.

Metal Halide

Stark bright lights, deep dark shadows if not in direct light, can dazzle, fixtures get very hot. Long start up times. Amazing amount of lumens per watt. At work I used 1 70watt metal halide instead of a 500watt filament lamp.

High Pressure Sodium

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, amazing watts to lumen ratio - nasty yellow light that seems to fill everywhere. Long start up time

In my garage I run 3 types of lamp. One 2x 70w strips above the workbench. For instant on when I need something quick in the garage. I have 1 250w high pressure sodium that floods the entire garage with light. 2 x 70w broad beam metal halide spots that I move around to suit. I am lit up like a christmas tree

All bought from ebay when I see cheap ones going on ebay. The high pressure sodium is a outdoor car park flood light like you see at Tesco's on top of tall poles. It has a cracked case and was only £15 quid from ebay. But it fills the garage with light and balances out the cold metal halides and fluorescents.

For example a 70watt fluorescent tube is about 5000 lumens. A decent 250watt high pressure sodium is 28000 lumens. Balance the yellow out with white metal halides and it makes a nice workshop environment.

250W High Pressure Sodium Floodlight | eBay

dhutch

posted on 2/3/12 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, i did look at metal halide floods but came to the conclusion that it was almost too much light, and hard to get an even spread of it in a fairly full room. Its a largish double garage, but with two cars and wall units on two sides.

Daniel

JoelP

posted on 2/3/12 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
Hi All

thanks
Paul

Can I ask - why not?

He's just pointing out that i didnt say connect the earths up too, which of course you should.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.