Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: AUTOTUNE GEMINI
Gemini

posted on 3/11/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I have just got mine throught the IVA and got it registered.
The 10mm space is the same on mine and this the lowest the axle will go due to the length of the dampers which limit the movement. Tthe shocks supplied by Autotune are spaxG775 on the front which I was told are 12,6" open and 10.6" closed.
the rear are G401, 14,4" open and 11.7" closed. the spring rating on the front was 225 and rear 125.
I used Gaz on mine which are 13" open and 9" closed front with 225lb 8" springs and 14" open and 10" closed on the rear with 90/140lb rate 9" . However i have found these springs too soft and need to wind the addjusters way up. I have got some heavier ratings on the way but not yet fitted them. Will let you know if this improves things.

alfas

posted on 4/11/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
hey...that post is perfect...all the info i need, as autotune has never replied on my email.

thanx a lot!!!!

unfortunately on my car the damper stroke does not limit the axle touching the chassis tube, but it looks like it wouldnt be much until this would happen.

sure is: 10mm rebound is far away from being correct...for me it seems something wrong desingwise.

are you sure with the 125lbs rear coils? thats very soft!!! another design-fault? ( i can also confirm that my car feels too soft on the rear when driven hard on bumpy roads.)

so for me it seems that i will need new dampers (recently the damping adjustment on the left damper gave up) and new, slightly harder coils.

i plan to replace them by 2.25inch damper/coils instead the 1.9" ones autotune supplied originally.

unfortunately i need to keep 1.9" ones at front, because the 2.25 ones would have clearance problems on the upper wishbone. (its already very "tight" with the 1.9" ones)

have your original (spax)coils been marked somewhere with the rate?

sorry, another question: what engine have you fitted and what axle?

[Edited on 4/11/11 by alfas]

alfas

posted on 4/11/11 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
was out in the garage at my car tonight:

exactly the same rear dampers:

DF401
Length open 355mm (14inch)

the stroke of the damper finishs exactly when the axle is touching the chassis (on the left side), on the right side iŽve around 5mm space to the chassis tube when the stroke has ended

this damper/coil combination is totally wrong...imo...even when it was suplied like that from autotune!!

[Edited on 4/11/11 by alfas]

Gemini

posted on 5/11/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
I have fitted my new springs 10" 190lb on the rear and 9" 275lb on the front but as the windscreen is still partially fitted cant give it a test yet but bouncing it on the garge floor seems better and sits better with minor preload on dampers.
I have about 50mm above the chassis when it is unladen now. When axle is hanging down has at least 10mm either side.

One other thing that you need to check is that the front damper is not too long as i found that the lower ball joint was limiting the travel on the suspension. There also appear to be two versions of this lower ball joint with different movemnt on the ball. I think that if the ball would be easily broken if the suspension was at at lowest point and the damper ws not limiting the travel.

Gemini

posted on 5/11/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Another thing , not sure if you would fit 2.25 dampers at rear as mine seem to be pretty tight in the space already.
alfas

posted on 5/11/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
"I have about 50mm above the chassis when it is unladen now. When axle is hanging down has at least 10mm either side."

that would mean 40mm rebound, wich sounds better.

have you fitted again 1.9" coils together with your GAZ?

i like the 2.25inch ones, as from my expirience the ride quality seems better also they feel more responsive.

the damper-fit looks also very tight on my car, but i think the main reason it looks tight is the splash-shield/inner wing.

iŽll need to measure again to see if i could fit 2.25" ones.

alfas

posted on 5/11/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
front looks like this:

originally there was also a clearance problem with upper wishbone and coilover:

[Edited on 5/11/11 by alfas]

alfas

posted on 5/11/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
@gemini:

which wheel/tyre size you are using?
what engine have your fitted?

in the meanwhile i checked my front dampers, they are the same as yours Spax DK 7.75, open length 325mm (12.8inch)

[Edited on 5/11/11 by alfas]

Gemini

posted on 6/11/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
hi

i am running 6J *14 4*108 ET38 and tyres 175/65 *14. I also have 15mm spacers on the rear as they were catching on the inner wheel arch. Have cutt them out when i changed the springs and will rebond them a bit further in.

I have a 2l ford pinto engine with a 38dgas carb. Had to cut the manifold height down to fit under bonnet without having to make a scoop.

Windscreen nearly finished so maybe get her out on the road next weekend, dependent on the weather of course.

will get some pics and post them during the week.

alfas

posted on 6/11/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
the same wheel diameter (~585mm) as with my car (but with 185/70r13 tyres)...which i plan to change to 185/60r13 to get more clearance inside the rear wings.

wheels are 6x13 minilites, ET unknown. no spacers, as i have no lateral clearance problems.

pinto is a bit heavier than x/flow...so slightly more weight to the front...so with same springs your car will sit lower at front...mine is rel. high.

waiting on your pictures....

[Edited on 6/11/11 by alfas]

alfas

posted on 8/11/11 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
got a reply form Autotune today:

"It looks like you have a chassis where the rear framework underneath the axle was made incorrectly. We have seen this once before many years ago."

"The solution is to cut out the chassis rails that catch directly below the axle and replace them with some 1" x 1/4" steel strip"

thats what i already thought to do, too.....but wanted to avoid as the galvanization would be damaged in that area.

anyway...as i need to fit harder coils, also the daming adjuster on 1 damper gave up recently i will sort this first and, if still necessary, modify the chassis later.

alfas

posted on 13/1/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
to close the topic:

car has been sold as i found a more interesting project

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.