Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modern Audis
locost_bryan

posted on 23/7/04 at 02:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
So possibilities for 4.2lt V8 donors in the future then?

How about a middy with the S6 300bhp V8, 5-speed tiptronic, double wishbone rear

or A8 335bhp 6-speed tiptronic

or better still the S4 344bhp 6-speed manual

or (slobber slobber) the RS6 440bhp 5valve biturbo and 19 inch alloys

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/7/04 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
Would this one do as a donor? Rescued attachment BustedS4.jpg
Rescued attachment BustedS4.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

phelpsa

posted on 23/7/04 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
How could you take that apart. I wouldn't want to drive it incase I crashed it (the current owner obviously didn't take that much care)

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 24/7/04 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mark, you really know you VAG stuff!! I can confirm that the A4 and Passat are virtually identical underneath. I have just changed jobs and gave up my 130bhp TDi Passat Estate and got an Audi A4 130bhp TDi. Underneath the badge same car.

I used to have a Audi 80 Sport, and that had the inline engine way out front, with a very long bonnet. IIRC it was the same engine as the Golf GTi.

A breakers near here had a pair of the new Golf R32's in last month. Damaged repairable for £1,500 each. Was tempted for a while but was lost as to what to do with all that power and which gearbox to mate it too.

As far as I can tell VAG are getting a bit like Henry in that the same parts show up in different configurations in different cars.

Does indeed bode well for the future of donors.

Mark Allanson

posted on 24/7/04 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
How could you take that apart. I wouldn't want to drive it incase I crashed it (the current owner obviously didn't take that much care)

Adam

I'm going take it apart myself - it's going to have a new shell, a collosal job, all those nasty little computers, air bags - it takes 3 hours just to fit all the sodding sealing grommets!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 24/7/04 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

A breakers near here had a pair of the new Golf R32's in last month. Damaged repairable for £1,500 each. Was tempted for a while but was lost as to what to do with all that power and which gearbox to mate it too.

I'm not surprised at R32's in the breakers, if current trends continue, 75% of them will be in the breakers within the first 3 years of their life.

I like to think I can drive quickly and keep the car nice and clean through the corners. The R32 is an absolute PIG. The tyres are too wide for the weight of the car, the power is to great for the width of the tyres. Just about manageable in the dry, but in the wet - put a brick under the throttle pedal

nicklondon

posted on 24/7/04 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
so thats why insurance costs so much.how long will the reshell take Mark?
ned

posted on 26/7/04 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Skoda's

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
This is really going to get complicated.

The Passat, A4, Skoda Octavia are basically the same car, but the Passat and Octavia used Golf derived mechanicals (transverse) and the A4 carried on with the in line engines.

German efficiency? B0ll0cks

Mark,

I thought the octavia was the same as the bora/golf/beetle/tt/a3/leon

The Skoda superb was I thought the same as the a4/passat or was it based on the a6 floorpan?!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 26/7/04 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Absolutely right ned.

The Fabia is then based on the polo (as is the Seat Ibiza).

These germans make everything so complicated.

Adam

Jumpy Guy

posted on 26/7/04 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
on this subject - opinions on SEAT leon diesels?

in the market for a new company car, and looked at this.. any experience?
looking at the Diesel Cupra - 150 bhp- 235 lb ft ...

phelpsa

posted on 26/7/04 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Its an old shape golf Tdi PD GT underneath.

Adam

mackie

posted on 26/7/04 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

I'm not surprised at R32's in the breakers, if current trends continue, 75% of them will be in the breakers within the first 3 years of their life.

I like to think I can drive quickly and keep the car nice and clean through the corners. The R32 is an absolute PIG. The tyres are too wide for the weight of the car, the power is to great for the width of the tyres. Just about manageable in the dry, but in the wet - put a brick under the throttle pedal

Interesting since it's got very good reviews from various mags. Plus is lardy for a hot hatch and has tyres no bigger than anything else comparable. And it has 4wd :/
I'd hate to think what you'd make of a 147 GTA or a Focus RS (bordering on dangerous on bumpy b-roads apparently)

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/7/04 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Nick, a shell change will take about 130 hours

Mackie, I have driven the GTA, but not the focus, the GTA is outrageous, an absolute monster, but it does not pretend to be the slightest bit civillised, the golf does. The GTA will not catch you unawares, its trying to catch you out all the time! Concentrate or die! the golf will suddenly bite you without warning, the steering is very dead and has an overcentring feel, you get self uncentring after about 25° of wheel travel! Must try moving the brackets!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.