Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: putting the locost back into locostbuilders?
D Beddows

posted on 14/11/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Oh not not 'car design by internet forum' again it NEVER works lads and it's been tried several times on here as well as elsewhere (wasn't there a forum to design a new Caterham or something a few years ago?? did they end up all killing each other in the end lol?) It all starts with great enthusiasm then develops almost instantly into a big row about something really trivial like wheel diameter and goes rapidly downhill from there. Don't do it
clairetoo

posted on 14/11/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
Anyone else think a MK2 MR2 would make a great donor for a middy Locost?
170BHP (or 240BHP turbo'd) and cheap as chips.
The newest ones are getting on for 15yrs old but there are literally 1000's of them out there.
Solid mechanicals but many starting to get ropey on the body these days, so ideal
They're 1200kg std and no slouch, so would be great in 600kg Locost form

A slight flaw in that plan.......any design based on an out of production 15 year old car couldnt have more than five years life - much better to pick a car thats been around for a long time , and if possible still being made today .
But...........modern cars only seem to have a production life of 2 or 3 years these days , and proper old fashioned scrap yards are dying out . Add to that the scrappage scheme took thousands of ten year old cars off the roads .
Now I think about it , this aint so simple

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Nickp

posted on 14/11/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
quote:
Anyone else think a MK2 MR2 would make a great donor for a middy Locost?
170BHP (or 240BHP turbo'd) and cheap as chips.
The newest ones are getting on for 15yrs old but there are literally 1000's of them out there.
Solid mechanicals but many starting to get ropey on the body these days, so ideal
They're 1200kg std and no slouch, so would be great in 600kg Locost form

A slight flaw in that plan.......any design based on an out of production 15 year old car couldnt have more than five years life - much better to pick a car thats been around for a long time , and if possible still being made today .
But...........modern cars only seem to have a production life of 2 or 3 years these days , and proper old fashioned scrap yards are dying out . Add to that the scrappage scheme took thousands of ten year old cars off the roads .
Now I think about it , this aint so simple

I know, I know, there's no longevity in it but I still reckon it'd be a good basis for a 'midi'

Ninehigh

posted on 14/11/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe the design could incorporate the idea that a vehicle that's plentiful today might not be easy to find tomorrow, thus if anyone was going to do a book like this I reckon they should have adjustments for donors ranging from a corsa/punto/etc to mondeo/saab/vectra and so on.

coyoteboy

posted on 14/11/11 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thing is the MR2 engine is still in production, as is the gearbox, and all the parts are still available from dealers fairly cheaply, and a variation of it is still available today giving more and more options for a build.

If I hadn't gone nuts I'd have gone down that route, it's the obvious donor without a doubt.

Nickp

posted on 15/11/11 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Thing is the MR2 engine is still in production, as is the gearbox, and all the parts are still available from dealers fairly cheaply, and a variation of it is still available today giving more and more options for a build.

If I hadn't gone nuts I'd have gone down that route, it's the obvious donor without a doubt.

Glad you agree, even if you are nuts?!?
The MK3s are getting cheap now but I don't think the engines are as powerful (or reliable for that matter with bottom end issues). The 2.0 3SGE is a cracking lump, especially in REV3+ form. What it lacks in torque it makes up for with a good top end 170BHP rush to its 7Krpm red line
In fact I've got some coilover bottoms that could easily be adapted so the MR2 hubs could be used. I think it could be based on the Haynes chassis with the driving position and rear bulkhead moved forward to make room for the drive train. They also come with stonking big brakes from the factory, no need for any fancy upgrades there

hughpinder

posted on 15/11/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure you could build a 'losost' midi, in the spirit of the Ron Champion book for 3k, even if you buy all the bits (used where possible). I'm assuming you don't count tools! He wasn't try to get such a light car as people do now too.

When(if) I ever get mine built, and if its dynamically any good to drive, I'll donate the chassis plans and photos to this site. It wouldnt be hard to adapt for pretty much any engine that's less bulky than a mondeo's zetec and box.

What Ron Champion didn't do, that most people seem to now is include any 'bling'.
No alloy wheels/expensive tyres.
No lightweight brake calipers
Standard engine - no major tuning
No digidash/expensive switches/expensive seats/trim
No roll cage/swirl pot+extra pumps+ catch tanks + modified sumps etc
mild steel exhaust(no cat then), reused seat belts
etc etc

'Uncle' Ron even seems to have re-used brake hoses and got his aly sheet by cutting up scrap transits etc.

The steel for a locost midi, assuming you buy full lengths of tube from a steel merchants, then scout for offsuts for the 3mm plate or buy just enough from ebay is about £250-£300
Ally for floor+body panels £150
Donor mondeo 1.8 or 2.0 for engine/gearbox/induction side inc air box+exhaust manifold/driveshafts/rear wheel bearings/cable change/gear lever/fuel pump+pipes, some hoses, handbrake lever, instrument panel + some switchgear, seat belts, exhast mout rubbers/cat/fan/expansion tank, hoses, heater matrix+fan, ....£350, 150 back on scrap for the shell at present - 250 to refurb inc clutch..
mx5 front uprights+calipers/discs+rear caliperaa/pads/discks +refurb + wiper motor £170
steering column/cowl/wheel £100
rack + adapters...100
rad (new)+ hoses from scrap yard £80
shocks + spring - the most expensive bit £400
nuts and bolts, if you have a decent local wholesaler+scavenge from your donor £80
fibreglass bodywork - made yourself £400
brake master cylinder+fluid+resevoir +pipe/fittings and satndard non braded hoses from a motor factor £100
Clutch mc+ hydraulics from donor/included with brakes
throttle cable £10
trim materials - bench type seats £75
rivets, sikaflex, drill bits £50
lights £150
screen,wash, wiper controls (mx5? from scrappies) £125
fuel tank (pump/level transmiter etc) from donor. £125
exhaust/car £175
seat belts £0 - from donor
paint £50 (hammerite chassis)
SVA bits £50
bushes for suspension+ball joints...£80
build table £80
grille - modify from scrappies? 20

There you go - comes to about £3200!

Then later on you add the alloy wheels, tune the engine etc

Regards
Hugh

luke

posted on 15/11/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I think it is truely possible to reduce cost by extending the build time. Im currently a final year Uni student and im building mine as and when i have the cash flow available. I find keeping a close eye on ebay for the deals on parts is essential.

As for the price of steel i dont think its too bad, I bought my chassis as a pre cut kit off ebay for £200. Simply had to weld it together and create a couple of bends. Now im onto brackets etc and steel from my local merchants is cheap if you wave cash and dont want a receipt. £5 for a 4 metre length of 30x3mm flat last friday.

engine, gearbox and axle all second hand off ebay, wishbones and steering rack picked up from rally design at stoneleigh Vat free. Obviously as i get on further into the build i will hit expense, IE seats, shocks, wheels, but by that time i will hopefully be working full time and have a better cash flow.

As they say, patience is a virtue.

Luke

Chris Ridgers

posted on 15/11/11 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
La Bala

We still sell our LB1 chassis plans for anyone who is interested in locost mid engine car.
Based on MR2 donor, we just don't advertise it.
It's were the La Bala got it's roots from to grow to the LB2.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 15/11/11 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree with the above posts. The champion car was a VERY basic specification, no budget for seats for instance.

Ive certainly bided my time with my project(s) which both spreads and reduces the cost but ultimately I regard it as a hobby expenditure much like going to the pub to watch football.

In terms of a locost midi, the Midlana project http://www.midlana.com/ is looking promising!

My Build Thread

Alan B

posted on 15/11/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
It seems a lot of you need to visit the mid-engine section more often. Many of us are building cars with transverse FWD powertrains mounted behind the driver....mine's even a 3 seater...

As for the price of steel.....come on really guys, if that's a major stumbling block you may as well stop now because it doesn't get cheaper for the rest of it....

Also agree with the design by commitee thing...complete waste of time. Some has to develop something and then offer it as plans or a kit...people then like or not like it...but you can't design or build to suit every whim.

Alan

[Edited on 15/11/11 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gottabedone

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
For years the Locost design and mid engined layout have been like a pair of left handed gloves - they work on their own but not as a pair

There are a lot of well behaved front wheel drive cars out there - eg duratec Fiesta's and Focus'. So take 2 front end's put one in the front and put one on the rear/mid complete with drivetrain - yes there may be geometry issues to consider but you have a known starting point.

I had a GTM Rossa with the K series - looking at it simply, it used Metro front ends front and rear and was a great car. Use a similar principle but with a mass produced modern car.

Purists may have switched off already but using what already works saves re-inventing the wheel. There are loads of MX5 based 7's in the states where they use the rear end - there is a weight penalty but for ease and using a tried and tested setup it's got to be worth it.
If you then want to shed weight from the heavier manufacturers suspension components then go for it at a later stage.

Just my thoughts..............

Steve

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/11/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Bit harsh that mate, circumstances beyond my control im afriad. I had to start again twice,

When I finish the car, and I will, I'm going to come round your house and do doughnuts out front for an hour.
You have unwittingly volunteered to be the first passenger in the mutated volvo powered car clubs flagship vehicle.

All in good fun

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
10 years collecting stuff for a build????????????????

IMHO. your car will never turn a wheel in my livetime, and im only 51 y's young

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

coyoteboy

posted on 16/11/11 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Bit harsh that mate, circumstances beyond my control im afriad. I had to start again twice,

Don't worry - he likes to spread doom and gloom assuming that anyone who doesn't start and complete within 6 months is doomed to fail Apparently because I took 10 months to think about what I wanted and plan a few options my car will never turn in his lifetime either. All I can say is he'll be dead a few times over at this rate

Nickp

posted on 16/11/11 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
When I finish the car, and I will, I'm going to come round your house and do doughnuts out front for an hour.

Mmmmmmmmm doughnuts!! Can you come round ours when it's done too

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I can see it now towing a fairground fryed food stand behind the mutated volvo powered car club flagship vehicle round to all LCB members houses. Doughnuts for everyone, or my personal favourite funnel cakes, if you don't know what they are google it.

quote:
quote:

Mmmmmmmmm doughnuts!! Can you come round ours when it's done too

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Nickp

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I can see it now towing a fairground fryed food stand behind the mutated volvo powered car club flagship vehicle round to all LCB members houses. Doughnuts for everyone, or my personal favourite funnel cakes, if you don't know what they are google it.

If you make it a diesel you can put the cooking oil in it to get home

02GF74

posted on 16/11/11 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Is googling that work safe? sounds like a euphanism for a lady's doofer

..... going back to the original post, building kit cars has more or less died on this forum - when I was finishing mine, there were tons - or it seems tons - of kits being built - MK Indy, Avons, GTS Panther and SVAs were happening almost on a weekly basis - it did go mad a bit in the run up to IVA.

since that time it has been very quiet, maybe 3 or 4 IVAs in 2 (?) years than I can think, except for wotshisname who buys kit cars and then sells them after 2 days (re: V8 formula 27).

[Edited on 16/11/11 by 02GF74]

coyoteboy

posted on 16/11/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

maybe 3 or 4 IVAs in 2 (?) years

Really? I've not been here long and I've seen a good few IVA passes and more IVA fails so I guess that's not quite right?

D Beddows

posted on 16/11/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
One of the problems I see is that people want to build cars that are too complicated/expensive for them to finish - back at the begining you dropped your xflow or pinto in (or if you were really adventurous a Fiat twin cam!) bolted the carb on, fiddled with the dissy a bit and you were away. Now people more often than not seemingly want 'twin injector sequential ignition water injection twin turbo 400bhp engines' which tbh they're never going to get going - or at least not this decade and for under £5K anyway. Same with suspension, brakes etc etc it all has to be as complicated as possible and it really really doesn't need to be.

Although it pains me somewhat to say it, if someone brought out a book with all the plans to build a 7 alike from an MX5 (I know there is the Keith Tanner one but it's more a suggestion than a guide) where you could just drop all the donor parts in with minimal fuss then I think more people would start building Locosts again. It wouldn't take long for people to start trying to make it something it isn't with their 'twin injector sequential ignition water injection twin turbo 400bhp engines' but that's just human nature I suppose

trextr7monkey

posted on 16/11/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a bit of a tangent but if you take a look at Coozers 4 x 4 build it is gonna be a monster, fun to drive on and off road and a great chance to practise the locostbuilders mentality and skills. Well wortha thought ;D
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

theduck

posted on 16/11/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Some people may not build these locost anymore, but I certainly will be! I'll start a thread once I am further along but will e well under £2k by the time it first see's track!

Buying part built for the win

Bluemoon

posted on 16/11/11 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
In terms of a locost midi, the Midlana project http://www.midlana.com/ is looking promising!

Yes looks great, what is needed is the book/plans to allow people to copy it, but this depends on how it handles not much weight up front (mind you early F1's where like that and handled rather well!).... Best route is defiantly Haynes they have a good reputation, and experience..

Also like the idea of a midi like the GTM using two FWD subframes with a ladder frame chassis, but this will have a short life span due to the quick turn over of donner cars, a midlana on the other had can probaly be adpated though time much as the locost has...

Agree with a lot of the comments, builds have a lot of bling totally not required for a cheap fun car (but each to there own)..

Dan

coyoteboy

posted on 16/11/11 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Now people more often than not seemingly want 'twin injector sequential ignition water injection twin turbo 400bhp engines' which tbh they're never going to get going - or at least not this decade and for under £5K anyway. Same with suspension, brakes etc etc it all has to be as complicated as possible and it really really doesn't need to be.

Don't think I've seen anything on this site that I would classify as even close to cutting edge, pretty much everything I've seen here has been fairly agricultural and basic (and rightly so). Sure people have tried to fit newer engines with the electronics that go with that and some to bump the power up a lot, but none of that's hard to do, or overly complex, just a bit more costly. As you say though, I guess it's just human nature. I wouldn't build a book locost because they're (no offence intended to anyone) a dime a dozen and people like to do things a bit differently. This is why anyone with any soul left and spare cash doesn't make do with a tin top in standard form - something has to change, somewhere, even if it's invisible.

[Edited on 16/11/11 by coyoteboy]

Neville Jones

posted on 17/11/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I see the biggest change on here as being the demographic.

When I joined, the average age would have been well above forty, and they built their own chassis and suspension, in fact most of the car. The average age now seems to be in the mid twenties, or maybe less. Could be the forum has become populated with a lot of dreamers, and not doers?

Nowdays, the talk is more of 'which kit to buy', and they want it nearly, if not all, complete.

More seem to be buying second hand than willing to build.

Cheers,
Nev.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.