Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lighting gas with sparkplug
tegwin

posted on 28/8/13 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Haha.. Yes I had thought about using a blow-torch to light the thing...

But my designs are a little more suffisticated. I intend to have a fully automated digital electronic control (FADEC) unit for a 1 button start and run..... So I need everything to work properly from the off

The start sequence will involve an electric blower puffing through the combustor to provide air for the ignition and to spool the turbine up. I think you are right that two or three good quality sparks a second would be more than sufficient.

I don't like the idea of using the transistor as it gets hot and is obviously not the ideal design...I think I need to try something a bit more inteligent.

Do we think the ignition amp from maplins (link above) would do the job if driven with a small transistor from the 555?

I will post some pics in a week or so once I get things bolted back together. Just at the stage of testing the ignition and fuel systems. once that is done I can plumb up the lubrication and monitoring systems and see if she will run

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

MikeRJ

posted on 11/9/13 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
It's the diode across the 2055 that's clamping the fly back and preventing the coil from releasing the charge to the secondary.

If you look at the circuit carefully, this diode is not doing any clamping from flyback voltages. When the 2N3055 switches off, and the current in the coil primary starts to collapse, the voltage at the collector will rapidly increase. This means the 1N4007 is being increasingly reverse biased rather than forwards biased, so is not conducting.

A suitable value of zener diode in this position could be used to clamp the C-E voltage, but the power dissipation if limiting the voltage under 60v would be pretty high.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.