Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: And a sports car is born!!
locogeoff

posted on 7/8/04 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Got a box set of DVDs of the series from price drop T.V. (£25) Recon one piece of information on the drilling of fibreglass (use a blunt drill apparently) may have saved the total cost of the box set had I drilled a nosecone or whatever with a sharp drill.

I totally agree with comments about it not being that informative but it sure beats the hell out of a lot of the other drivel thats on the box when I get back from the garage, and the girlfriend enjoys it as well so it means I dont have to watch people arguing with each other on Ricky Lake

tony9876

posted on 7/8/04 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think i am about to alienate me from this forum but i am so disgusted by a lot of peoples attitude. I am a lover of all things with a motor hand built ,machine built or knocked together in a garage. I personally was planning to build a GT2 but due to it not being ready in time i bought a megabusa basically because i wanted something i could have on the road in a fortnight.You are judging all people by how much they spend or how much effort they put into a car, i think that being interested in motorsport is enough. I have been to westfield meets and they dont bang on about how they built there cars for £2.50 and 2 pints of lager nor do they go on about how expensive it was they just talk about racing driving etc. I accept that a few of the caterham owners etc are arseholes but so are so called locost builders if they judge everyone on what they own.
I judge people on there personality and how interested they are in motorsport not how they managed to swap a 4x4 diff for 20 benson and hedges.
Mark evans who you all quickly judge is an extremely intelligent person who has a love of all motorsport,so what he bought a westfield (which he also modified for racing).
I personally think I can smell jealousy over the fact he can spend all day building cars and whatever else takes his fancy and we have to endure 9 to 5 poo jobs.
I personally thought you where better than this and on a whole where car enthusiasts that believe in sharing knowledge not condoning people for the kit they chose to build.Rant over.

Benzine

posted on 7/8/04 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote

I couldn't give an arse what other people build, I'm building mine and its fun.

[Edited on 7/8/04 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 7/8/04 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
we have to endure 9 to 5 poo jobs

How dare you assume we all work. I think you are guilty of the same as you accuse others of. I could spend all day on whatever I want and throw as much money as I like at it. You've never heard me say a bad word about Westfields or their owners, but why set a deadline of a fortnight on building a kit when you can buy one ready done for just 3 times as much. I think the guy on Sportscar is Born is fair game for anyone who wants to take a pop at him as he is a tosser with a crew of helpers doing the donkey work, you don't think he's really doing it all himself do you?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

tony9876

posted on 7/8/04 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Snoopy i bought a a kit and built it of a night and a couple of weekends with the help of a couple of mates.
After visiting mk and speaking with martin i was certain he new what he was on about and really wanted the gt2 due to its style and quaiffe diff option but when it didnt look like it would be ready i opted for the westfield which you should take as a compliment as mk was my first choice even though i had the money for a westfield. I still plan on building a gt2 but this winter instead.
As for mark evans we all have are opinions and if you watch the series inbetween cut edits unless someone dirtied his overalls and completely filled him in on the build manual yes i think he did build it himself with just help,also the programmes are made on shoestring budgets so i dont think they could stretch to an army of helpers.

Skirrow

posted on 8/8/04 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
I think these series are pretty good.

It's TV remember, not a replacement for a build manual. It has to appeal to the general public with thier 20 millisecond attention span and it has to all fit into x amount of episodes.

For us builders, it would be nice for a 200hour long DVD showing exactly how everything was done and all the problems, but you won't get that on TV for obvious reasons.

As for Mark Evans, he seems very enthusiastic about it which I like, although I have found myself talking to the telly and telling him to "shut the fcuk up"!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marktigere1

posted on 9/8/04 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Having read the whole of this thread and the slagging off of Mark Evans for no particular reason, I thought I would mention that in one of the many series he has done, he featured a white MK indy powered by a Bike engine and driven by a race instructor. I think it was 'A race car is born' during his learning to drive section. Can Snoopy confirm this?

What do you think of him now?

Cannot believe the bile being shown on this forum. Probably all have a go at me now simply because I own a Nissan

If a bolt is stuck force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!!!
(My Dad 1991)

alfasudsprint

posted on 10/8/04 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Gotta agree with you Mark, very sad to see people so preoccupied with what othrs are doing, jeez, get a life. Get on and build that locost, come and talk about it here with us please, but leave the bitchin.
IMHO!

Peteff

posted on 10/8/04 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Been there done that...

Didn't make a TV programme about it, didn't make any money out of it, didn't make a spectacle of myself in public. What's special about Mark Evans. They could have televised any of a thousand builders and got a better picture of a motor enthusiast. I wouldn't watch it if you paid me, just my opinion, thank you for yours.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jumpy Guy

posted on 11/8/04 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
surely anything that exposes car building is a good thing? since the series, at least vaguely interested family and friends know kinda what im up to........
I cant see what the problem is - even if he didnt do it all himself, so what? some guys on this site make their own chassis. Some dont. They open the wallet and buy it. I'm sure that if, for example, Hicost added the total money spend on his car, it'd scare the bjesus out of me. But not put down in any way.
There seems to be a lot of macho b*llSh*t here sometimes about 'doing it all yourself'
Nobody does.We are all helped to some degree.
I agree with what someone else said previously - ' get on with my own build, stop fishwifing about who spent what on where'
Btw. I completely agree that the guys a bit of a tit, but thats never prevented me, or anyone else, from building a car

blueshift

posted on 11/8/04 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
I find him slightly irritating sometimes, but not too bad. anyway, reason I'm posting this reply is a heads-up that showing on H&L at the moment is "a 4x4 is reborn" or something like that, and he just rebuilt a rover v8 engine. fairly interesting for me.
tony9876

posted on 11/8/04 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I am glad quite a few people agree with me that although irritating mark evans beats the s**t out of soaps.
I have been watching a 4x4 is born and the v8 rebuild was very interesting.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.