<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How heavy???
Hellfire

posted on 19/9/05 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
quote:

Hmmm, sounds to me like those figures quoted are VERY optimistic. Chassis and running gear on MNR aren't too dissimilar to those of a MAC#1 or MK.

hellfire using your mk as a referance

chassis is t45 / cds thinwall mix, weight saving to erw 35 kilos, compared to our standard chassis. dont forget we have a proper integral cage as a stressed member that is structual not bolted.

wishbones t45 as opposed to erw saving .5 kilo per wishbone ( accounting for the fact roadcar has heavy transit drag links and maxi ball joints )

alloy uprights, callipers, drive hubs, drilled discs etc as opposed to sierra, got to be at least 3 kilos a side probably more !!!!drum brake rear end converted to discs, difference between shafts is 2.5 kilos each , diff is 2 kilos lighter, diffrent bearing housings and drive flanges another 1 kilo per side

lightweight bodywork, ( inc carbon fibre ) with return edges no alloy trims etc in cockpit area,
integral dash panel and engine sealing panel in scuttle, plus aeroscreen
alloy footwell panels as opposed to steel

alloy fuel and brake lines

single strand f1 spec wiring loom

just with what i know weigh less we have saved 53 kilos ,
then add the bodywork diffrence etc and you can see where the saving comes from

[Edited on 19/9/05 by marc n]

And all that cost's approximately how much? Which should reinforce everyone's point in the first place...

[Edited on 19-9-05 by Hellfire]

marc n

posted on 19/9/05 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
pont is many parts are not just a weight saving but also performance enhancing such as uprights ( proper front geometry i.e scrub radius castor etc ) and brakes beleive me when you can brake 8 metres later than a standard setup that is some performance advantage !!!!!
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 19/9/05 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And all that cost's approximately how much? Which should reinforce everyone's point in the first place...

ahh but your point was our figures where incorrect,
just enlightening you as to how we achieved it, excluding my labour the cost to build retail £8000

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mad Dave

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations if you managed it! What was the spec of your orange car at Brands?
marc n

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
orange car was a bit of a mix match to be honest we only built it in a few days,
rt chassis cds cage, big fuel tank etc and upgraded to inboard suspension with rt plus wishbones with no fuel came in at 440 kilos,
so decided i will use this next year as a class b car as its still light enough as i only weigh 63 kilos and i like the colour

Mad Dave

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
The colour is bloody nice!

Still, at 440kg its going go well round the track, out of interest what time did you lap Brands in

[Edited on 19/9/05 by Mad Dave]

marc n

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

what engine was in it?

a pinto?

it did have a quaiffe reverse too

marc n

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Still, at 440kg its going go well round the track, out of interest what did you lap Brands in

dont know as i never configured the digi dash, was going to do it on the morning of the show but had a full fry up at the hotel instead
so had no speed, oil pressure rev counter no nothing

all i know is the hyabusa turbo dax rush took about 15 car lengths out on us down the straight despite the fact i overtook him round the outside at clearways and was 2 car lengths ahead we caught him back up again by the time we reached clearways again then the same thing happened
cant wait till i finish my zx12 car as few more ponies over the r1 would be nice

marc n

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
incidently was running a 3.14 diff and only managed to grab 6th gear 20 metres before the braking point, think a 3.38 may have been better suited
Mad Dave

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
So pretty fast then. What is a decent lap of brands?
marc n

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
can only remember cliocup times 50.8 was pole for one of our drivers in 2003 i think ???
Hellfire

posted on 19/9/05 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
So did the VortX RT+ actually weigh in at 397kg with fluids? If so, I am well impressed.

Oh yeah, and Proven wrong. In which case - APOLOGIES

marc n

posted on 19/9/05 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
yep all fluids and 8 litres of fuel takes 14 to fill it as opposed to 28 for the roadcar

it is even lighter today though as the engines come out blew the gearbox at brands!!!, now all the internals are going in a new car for next year so i will have a class a car b car and c car all at current spec suspension wise

Winston Todge

posted on 25/9/05 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not trying to kiss ass here but...

I think this thread just goes to show how much thought and experience Marc has put into his designs...

I did around 14 months of research into the 7 styled kitcar industry before putting down a deposit on a kit.

I met Marc and his Dad at Stoneleigh and then visited him the week after to hand over my money, I was that certain that his design was the best by far...

Just go up and visit them and you'll see what I mean.

Chris.

Hellfire

posted on 25/9/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I had the pleasure of meeting Marc last year - yes, very knowledgeable and experienced. Good set-up and obviously busy as a result of all the development work and continual new products and design's.

It's always nice to be proved wrong IYSWIM - as respect is the result.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.