Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: more power, i need more power
Moorron

posted on 15/9/06 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a very nice reply there hellfire. Nice to see someone with a larger engine not egging me on to upgrade. Im going to the show this w/e, last year i saw avo selling alloy coilovers which were extremly light compaired to the steel versions. That must shave about 12 kg off the car. Then the seats also (need to weight the ones i got to see the diff), super light 15" wheels (any links???), alloy calipers and maybe a freelander diff (can u get a 3.68 limited slip one?) and maybe replace the s/steel tank with an alloy one (5kg saving).

A good idea???

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Hellfire

posted on 15/9/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Any weight you can shed will improve the performance and I'd start with the rotational/unsprung stuff first such as calipers and discs and possibly wheels (depending how heavy they are). Even when you've lost all the weight you're planning to though, I think you'd be hard pushed to notice a huge difference.

I'm surprised you haven't tried the NOS yet though. Go on, give it a shot

Phil

[Edited on 15-9-06 by Hellfire]

DIY Si

posted on 15/9/06 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Got to agree with Hellfire's ever sensible response. Going fast in a straight line is easy, although the nos will help. Also, remember these types of car are only any good up to 130 odd mph. There's plenty of cars that can go faster than this with ease. It's going fast in the twistys that are hard. I've started to get used to the straight line speed of mine, which is bloody fast, but I'm only just starting to get quick, no where near fast yet, in the corners. That's where all the fun lies. Oh, and going sideways.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Coose

posted on 15/9/06 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Protech do nice ali-bodied dampers for a similar price to everyone elses steel dampers. Bear in mind that half of each damper is technically unsprung weight....

Spin 'er off Well...

TimC

posted on 15/9/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Those are exactly the type of changes I think I would have made if I had kept the car.

Those seats weigh (relatively) a bloody tonne! You'll need to swap diff and tyres at the same time - remembering the CBRs gearing. Not sure if I'd go to a Freelander diff - more likely push-in style Sierra with Quaife ATB. To go to Freelander, you'd need new brackets etc. The push-in unit saves weight over lobro diff anyway. If you do this, can I buy the diff??

As for the wheels (and since you're a money-bags ) - Image Split-rims with black centres would look awesome!

The tank is nice & shiny, but I'd have an ali replacement made.

I'd go for Caterham race-style seats.

I'd possibly think about getting someone to give the motor a once-over or just replace it with a fresher one.

Oh, and for god's-sake, fill the bottle, flick the doomsday cover, play with the micro computer and try the nitrous!!!

By the way, I'm not precious over the car - I think it all makes sense.

Two more points.....
1. Get a quick rack.
2. Change the dash for the new MK one.

Ok, I'll stop now....

P.s. Go for Protech over Avo - I've heard some less than good things.

[Edited on 15/9/06 by TimC]

Hellfire

posted on 15/9/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Oh, and for god's-sake, fill the bottle, flick the doomsday cover, play with the micro computer and try the nitrous!!!

+1

DIY Si

posted on 15/9/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
WHHOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHH!!!!!
Do it, you know it makes sense!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Moorron

posted on 15/9/06 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
lol, ok ok ok. i will get the nitrous filled (i looked at trying to plug my range rover bottle in to have a go, but its totally different fittings).

Great minds must think alike, 'another' thing i wanted to do was paint the 17" wheels black in the centre. i need new rear tyres already so i might take the plungs and get some new wheels.

quick rack was another one i wanted, but i need to look into the diff tho, need to read up on them to see what i think as i know nothing about them.

mk new dash?? maybe i will see it at the donny show, but i got some carbon fibre and was going to slighly redisign it with that.

Tank. good job i work for an alloy fabricators

need an ecpert to see whats causing the oil to burn, if its valves then i will fix, if its pistons i will indeed look for a fresher engine (if thats possible).

Thanks for the advice Tim, why didnt u do it all before selling me the car

So it looks like im going to b busy at the show then....(sunday)

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

DIY Si

posted on 15/9/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Getting rid of the 17" wheels for some 13-14" will aid acceleration if that's what you're after. It will lower the top end though.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.