New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sorry caterham
Jon Ison

posted on 8/12/06 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
What we gonna do next year ?
zxrlocost

posted on 8/12/06 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
how the hell can a company trademark the number 7
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Hellfire

posted on 8/12/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Surely that is a joke...

Would Cateringham really be SO anal? There are loads of cars out there using '7' in their model names.

What a total bunch of w7a7n7k7e7r7s...

Jonte

posted on 8/12/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Oops.... I won´t tell them what my car is registrered as then
We have an official Caterham delare here in sweden

Didn´t Birkin in south africa get sued by Caterham in the 80´s for using the 7 for their cars. But they found out the hard way that Chapman sold the rights to use the 7/seven to Birkin also.

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 8/12/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
i would agree that manufacturers should not be able to sell a similar car specifically as a 7 or seven, however they take it too far by trying to stop people using the number at all.
Confused but excited.

posted on 8/12/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth dropping a line to The Office of Fair Trading about restrictive practice.
They can copyright the '7 in a triangle' logo but I don't see how they can claim exclusive use of the number on it's own or as part of a company name.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

ed_crouch

posted on 8/12/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh cos the people that published my engineering maths textbook would be right in the sh*t.

As would the producers of countdown............

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

smart51

posted on 8/12/06 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I bet they can't copyright the number 7, but can copy the right to use it as a trade mark in association with cars that resemble a 1950's lotus or a trade in such cars.

If you had a sandwich shop called '7' then they'd have no arguement.

That said, they're a bit letigious and it doesn't make me feel sorry for them.

Stu16v

posted on 9/12/06 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Surely the term "Seven" has become fairly generic. After all, the magazines use it all the time to describe a Sevenesque car but you don't see Caterham suing them on them!!

Absolutely. Just as we tend to say Land Rovers whilst refering to 4x4's, and Hoovers as vacuum cleaners, etc, etc.
But as in all of my examples, there have been better since...

Dont just build it.....make it!

zetec7

posted on 9/12/06 at 03:36 AM Reply With Quote
"Ladies and gentlemen...here we are at Cape Canaveral for the latest voyage of the space shuttle Discovery, and we're go for launch....10...9...8...7 ("WHAT? Whaddya mean we're getting sued?!?!"...okay, the launch is on hold..."

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 9/12/06 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
I thought Austin got there first?

My mate was in a band called CNN, till the lawyers called, then it was XC-NN.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

foskid

posted on 9/12/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
call it a "STILL" after all it's still a 7
britishtrident

posted on 9/12/06 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I swore twenty years back I would never buy a Caterham because of the attitude of the company.

If you read up on Lotus history interesting bit is wide boy Chapman also sold rights to the Seven design to other companies/individuals, the proceeds money going into Chunky's back pocket. A big question also exists as to if the rights belonged to Chunky or to one of the Lotus group of companies. In the wake of the De Lorean affair a judge later remarked that if Chapman had been alive he would have been sent to jail for 10 years for an "outrageous and massive fraud".

One thing is for sure only Chunky and his sidekick Fred Bushell would ever know.

iank

posted on 9/12/06 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
It seems obvious that you could use other numbers as Chapman/Lotus only sold the 7 to Caterham (irrespective of whether Chapman should/could have registered the 7 trademark)

Maybe time for a replica lotus 37...
http://georgecushing.net/7Specials.html
A butch manly 7

cct7kitcars

posted on 10/12/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
so what shall i do

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Chardonnay in one hand, Tequila in the other, body bearing battle scars and totally worn out, screaming- WOO HOO!! What a Ride!

Hellfire

posted on 10/12/06 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Send them a letter asking "Why?"

Phil

wilkingj

posted on 10/12/06 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
It isnt Caterham... Its their Lawyers who smell some business for themselves protecting their clients name.

Personally I cannot see how they can "own" a number.

Lotus 7, Caterham 7, funny little car 7, etc makes sense, they can own a brand / product name.

But to Own a single number... Sounds mad to me. Do I have to pay royalites to Caterhan every time I write the word 7 on a documnet / letter etc?.

Problems is they have more money than you, which how they can "afford" justice.

They would sink your business and take you home.

Best thing is to become a pennyless employee of the company, give it all to the wife, or your kids then let them sue you.
They can sue you, you can plead guilty, but they cant take what you dont have.

or go into voluntary liquidation, then start another new business.
People seem to do this with alarming regularity on TV's Watchdog. It seems a popular thing to do

Good luck. I hate to see the little man done over by the rich companies.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

cct7kitcars

posted on 10/12/06 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
its a shame cause i dont think there cars are any good mine runs rings round them hey they must just not like compertion

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Chardonnay in one hand, Tequila in the other, body bearing battle scars and totally worn out, screaming- WOO HOO!! What a Ride!

jono_misfit

posted on 10/12/06 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that once the the name became the generic term for the style of product (hoover etc), the trademarking on the name lost some of its protection?

The company name is protected (as in you can be the only hoover vacuume company) as with their logo, but they loose the ability to sue etc of the use in other names?

I thought i covered this in an Open Uni course on things but could be well wide of the mark.

iank

posted on 10/12/06 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Personally I cannot see how they can "own" a number.

Lotus 7, Caterham 7, funny little car 7, etc makes sense, they can own a brand / product name.

They don't they own the number as it, but only with respect of 2 seater sportscars and their parts (and model cars) and interestingly only if it has "THE" with it. I suspect it would be relatively easy to challenge them IF you could afford the lawyers (if BMW assist them to protect their own marks it's going to get very expensive).

Their full list of trademarks is here
http://www.patent.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-adp?propnum=0421660001

Interestingly there are Special circumstances for "THE 7"
Advertised before acceptance by reason of use and special circumstances. Section 18(1) (proviso).

Wonder what that means in English. Be interesting if it was something along the lines of Chapman was given it my mistake.

Fozzie

posted on 10/12/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well as I see it, they don't own the number!
In an earlier reply on this thread there was a link, which gave a few pages of an appeal by Catram, for that precise reason. The appeal was disallowed, for the reason being that you cannot trade mark a numeral or the word 'super' on their own.

On the latest link posted, of the Trade Marks, if you click on the number of most of them, scroll down, it does stipulate that they cannot have the exclusive right to 'seven', '7' or 'super' on their own, hence the marks they do own are 'Super 7' 'The Seven' and so on. It also does say that a triangle with 7 inside is a valid trade mark.

This may be a simplistic interpretation of all the jargon I have read so far, and I am not a lawyer, but, using a '7' or 'seven' without one of Catrams 'models' before it/after it, I would have thought perfectly legitimate...

Any 'legal-eagles' on the site?

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

cct7kitcars

posted on 11/12/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
well i have 14 days to sort this all out but i could never sort things out in time

andyps

posted on 11/12/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think it is quite likely that Caterham could successfully make a court claim that you were using the number 7 in your name as "passing off" in which case you would have to change the name, and pay all costs. If your car is superior to the Caterham offering why not call it 8? That is higher, implying better, than 7. Why do you want to use 7 in your name? Presumably it is to gain credibility based on the reputation of a car which looks similar which is called 7. Therefore you are probably "passing off". I am not a lawyer, by the way, so may be talking rubbish (not unusual).

My new company is called KM and we are making a car called the Indy 2 - any objections?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

bike_power

posted on 11/12/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Could always register an opinion by e-mailing sales@caterham.co.uk. We're all potential Caterham customers and things like this make me for one, less likely to be a customer so they may want to know about it.

Keep it polite

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 12/12/06 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Got it in one Jonte!
Its more accurate a s3 than a catervan as very few changes were ever made. still had a solid axle till a few years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Jonte
Oops.... I won´t tell them what my car is registrered as then
We have an official Caterham delare here in sweden

Didn´t Birkin in south africa get sued by Caterham in the 80´s for using the 7 for their cars. But they found out the hard way that Chapman sold the rights to use the 7/seven to Birkin also.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.