Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: White smoke on nissan 200sx
Impact301

posted on 15/5/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked the turbo shaft (should really be working, but nevermind!) and to me there dosnt seem excessive play, although its pretty hard to measure it as theres not much room round there. The fins on the turbo spin fine with no friction, from the pic can you see anything wrong with them? There was rather alot of dried on oil round the area, although its just under the filler cap so maybe that is just old oil that was spilled when re-filling. I have included a couple of pics I have taken, as Im not sure what is the lubricating oil passage as the manual says it could be a leak there. Also is there an oil feed going from the intercooler to the turbo? Theres so may pipes and bits its hard to see what is what!
Cheers.

smac

posted on 15/5/07 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
There is no oil feed from the intercooler. The turbo is fed from a pipe from the block ( toward the front) this will either be the original hard pipe or a newer flexible one if its been swapped.. The oil then drains from underneath to the sump.
Impact301

posted on 15/5/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I see what you mean, its a hard pipe, covered in old oil. If this was blocked am I right in thinking the oil would have nowhere to go but stay in the turbo and be burnt?
smac

posted on 15/5/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose its possible that the drain pipe would be blocked but I very much doubt it. Its quite wide and has gravity on its side, its also below the turbo in a comparitatively open area so it shouldnt be cooked from outside. Best candidate for blockage is the feed pipe as the original is vary narrow which is why people swap them for the braided one.

[Edited on 15/5/07 by smac]

[Edited on 15/5/07 by smac]

Impact301

posted on 16/5/07 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ran a compression test, and all were around 150psi, none were under and all were roughly the same. So I guess that rules out valve stem seals, or head gasket, so I'll try taking off and cleaning the oil feed pipe to the turbo (easier said than done as it looks a nightmare to get to) and see if that makes any difference. If not then its looking likely to be turbo seals. Thanks for the help. Nick.
NS Dev

posted on 16/5/07 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
compression test won't show up stem seals, only rings. The stem seals could still be the issue, but its more likely turbo.

What mileage has the turbo done? They usually need recon or replacement at 120,000 miles tops on these.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Impact301

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Current turbo has done 86K, and have been told their life depends if they have been left to cool after being used hard, and I dont know much about the history so I dont know if it has or not. Also I dont know if the current turbo was a refirbished one or just a replacement second hand one. I'll try the oil feed pipe, then if its still the same run the car for a pre-MOT test before attacking the turbo as its a pretty big job. Knowing my luck, I'll get it running right only for it to fail on something else major! Cheers.
Nick.

razza987

posted on 17/5/07 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Nick, I'm in King's Lynn and run an S13 (300bhp ), give me a shout if you need a hand/advice.
Raz

Impact301

posted on 17/5/07 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by razza987
Nick, I'm in King's Lynn and run an S13 (300bhp ), give me a shout if you need a hand/advice.
Raz

Cheers for that mate, nice one. 300bhp, hey...I bet thats fun!! I'll have a go at the oil feed pipe then decide where to go after then. Cheers. Nick

Impact301

posted on 17/5/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Had a look at the oil feed pipe, but its such a nightmare to get to (i reckon the Japanese have very small hands!) I think Im gonna run the car for an MOT (its only 3 months before its due anyway) and see what else comes up then decide what to do. Whatever is causing the smoke its not an easy thing to sort out and only working on it on the driveway is not the best idea so I think a garage will get the job if the turbo does need replacing! Cheers for all the help tho, been very helpful.
Nick.

flak monkey

posted on 17/5/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nick, if you get the bits we should be able to swap the turbos if it comes to it. I'll give you a hand, and sounds like theres another local with a more knowledge of the S13 too

Up to you tho.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Impact301

posted on 17/5/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah cool, cheers. The worst thing is needing to get underneath properly, I guess with axle stands it would be ok. Standard turbos seem reasonably easy to come by so I think I'll put it in for a pre-MOT test and see what else comes up. If it needs welding and bits, I may as well do that all at the same time, or keep an eye out for a complete car and make one good one out of the two! Or break it for bits, cut my losses and buy a yank!!
flak monkey

posted on 17/5/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Can just shove it up on our ramps, should be easy enough to get to then. Will have a look when i get back if you can wait 2 or 3 weeks

Mind you, you know i am all up for the yank tank

David

[Edited on 17/5/07 by flak monkey]

Sera

Impact301

posted on 23/5/07 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Took the old nissan for a spin down some local backroads and its still smoking just the same, no worse luckily. Someone on a nissan forum suggested putting in a one way valve in the breather from the exhaust cam cover to the turbo intake. What would that do? Any ideas? Nick.
hobbsy

posted on 24/5/07 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
Depending on the way around you fit it it could stop the crankcase gases being taken back through the intake. If its really breathing hard you could be getting smoke because of this.

You probably could determine this by just taking the breather off though.

Impact301

posted on 29/5/07 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
repair or break?

Ran the old bus in for an MOT earlier - failed on pretty much what I expected really, the odd surprise tho. They said it was a worn turbo causing the smoke and it failed on emissions so Im guessing thats the main cause as it was chucking out oil smoke. It needs lots of welding to the sills, inner wheel arches & suspension mounting area , the rear brakes are still not right, some of the pipes & fuel lines are slightly corroded (although this was only advisory this time) and a lower suspension arm has lots of play in ball joint. But, the main chassis rails and bulk head are still solid, the engine runs as sweet as a nut and its still fun to drive, so is it worth a repair or break for spares? Advice wanted! Cheers.
Nick.

flak monkey

posted on 29/5/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hey mate, this was up for sale last week, looks like its probably gone now though

Capri

I think the only thing to do is find out how much it'll cost to get it fixed, then make a decision. You'll get most of your cash back breaking it though I should think.

Sera

Impact301

posted on 29/5/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a cool car! Yeah apparently the ball joint shouldnt be too expensive, but the turbo will be best part of 100quid and the receptionist in the garage said its about £400 worth of welding. I may be able to get it cheaper by one of the banger guys, but the people I mentioned it to are not keen on welding road cars. I'll have a word with Sparky (the guy who I got your uprights from) as he runs a garage and might do a deal if I bribe him with free DVD's for a year!! I'll try parkinson's for the ball joint quote I think. Im glad I didnt buy new wheels for it, and probably shouldnt have brought the tailgate, although I should be able to sell that as clean ones are in demand.
Impact301

posted on 29/5/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Think Im going to try the one-way valve thing on the breather to see if it smokes any less. Ive been told you can get one from a plumber shop, but would it matter what size? Or apparently 2 litre Honda's have them so someone said. Any ideas?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.