Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: TALL DRIVER - suggestions needed
Kriss

posted on 31/10/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I love the look of fesycresy 7.

I also love the MAC#1's and Dax Rush.

I am wanting the car for weekend use which includes motorway driving from surrey to canterbury every few weeks.

I also plan on doing a couple of track days but nothing too serious or frequent.

Whats the preferred engine choice. Boke or car? (such obvious novice questions I know) I have heard that bike engines need to be on full chat to work over and above that of a car engine.

wet weather gear and boots/storage. Whats the deal with these? Are there some 7's that come with no boot at all. And the same for WetW gear?

finally - I have not got a clue about car maintance. I would want some one to serive/set up the car in the surrey/croydon area. Annoying that Caterham are only just down the road but their cars are well out my budget!

pleas ekeep the posts flowing - seems a great resource here

cheers

kriss

worX

posted on 31/10/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well if you love the look of Fesycresy's car and the MAC1 then you are in luck!

They are one in the same. I know that Fesycresy's car is a particularly good example of one, and can vouch for him being a "large lad" (oo er ).

Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to CEC Vs BEC. But I didn't build my car to drive to the south of france every weekend, I built to have fun in - Pure and Simple! You can't beat a BEC (literally! ). If you want to do some motorway driving aswell then my engine (a 919 'Blade) probably isn't the best, you would be better with an injected R1 or something similar - that would be the best of both worlds then!

Wet weather gear? Just go to your local bike shop and buy an all-in-one stuff pack kind of thing and just keep it behind your seat always...

By the time you have done a couple of trackdays and had advice from the friendly bunch on here, you won't need someone else to service your car for you - you will be able to do it yourself!

If you are looking to buy a car, speak to the person selling to ask service advice.

Regards,
Steve

[Edited on 31/10/07 by worX]

Kriss

posted on 31/10/07 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for that!

think next on the things to do list is to go to as many kit car shows as i can to get an idea of size and comfort etc. although I will not be buying brand new, I imagine manufactures will understand!

how do BEC owners cope if they have no reverse? I know it sounds silly, but if you need to reverse park at a pub car park on a sunday spirited drive, is it a case of get out and push?

Jon Ison

posted on 31/10/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kriss
is it a case of get out and push?

In a word Yes.

Are your arms not long enough to reach the floor ? Mine are.

you very quickly require a 2nd sense for parking on the slope that you can roll out of, i had no problems last week on a 3 point turn when i went the wrong way, just chose someones drive with the desired slope on it, a quick press of the loud pedal tends to get you turned around too.........

donut

posted on 1/11/07 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Go visit Mark and Colin at MAC#1. Probably second to none for good service, Free spot on advice and damn good coffee!!!! plus they have a little shop where you can go buy stuff.

MNR seem very good also.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 1/11/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
As with several low volume kit car places Mac#1 started life building other kits. However that was 5 years + ago now and since then they have developed there own range of cars. Good product coupled with great customer service has seen them grow from strength to strength.

Shame you are so far away as there will be a good range of cars at their place this saturday. The new worx RR cars with BEC power are worth looking at. Bigrich has just got one on the road at its proving to be a potent road warrior.

Iam biassed in recommending Mac#1 but only from a satisfied customer point of view.

Kit car shows are a good starting point, however i will guarantee your head will be done in by the various options etc. Its not easy to compare like for like. If you wont be buying a kit and building yourself then your choice will be limited by availability of cars on the market at that point in time. You dont see many Mac#1's come up for sale for example. There are plenty on the road but not many people like to part with them.

Trackdays might be another way to see a few being driven in anger and get chance to sit in them. Take a helmet along and someone might take you out for a spin. After that see if there are any local meets near you. Most people will talk openly about there cars and give you an honest (in their view) appraisal.

Kriss

posted on 1/11/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
good advice - thanks

is there an events list ata ll anywhere? I have done a fair few track days but never thought of just asking someone for a quick ride round - spose the saying dont ask dont get springs to mind.

I'm slightly off put maybe by where I am situated. Most manufactures and support seem to be up north. Are there any south or south east? I use to service my v6 120 miles away as the service i had was brilliant for example!

wilkingj

posted on 1/11/07 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
Wet weather gear? Just go to your local bike shop.

OOhh Thats the expensive way.
Wait for the BMF bike Show at Peterborough, then visit the Frank Thomas Rejects tents there were 4 marquees FULL of gear. Some is really reject, but most appears to be mail order returns they cant sell off as new (Thats what they told me).

I got a £140 aquapore jacket for £40, and a £90 one for £25. All good kit.
OK they dont have the armoured shouldepads left in them, but you are not using it on a bike.
Gloves for £5, and excellent ones for £10.

The trick is to examine every seam, zip, popper, pocket very carefully. Most stuff is very good. But the prices are even better.
Its worth the time spent checking the kit for defects. 50% plus that I looked at, was perfect or near perfect.

I kitted out me and the wife for under £100, which is less than the cost of just one jacket.

Also got two New ACU gold stamped helmets for £30 each. But Not from a Rejects store. I am XXXL in the head, and couldnt get one locally to try on, which is why I went to the show in the first place, because of the number of dealers all in one place.
Took me several helmets to find a make that fitted my head size withough being uncomfortable.

Then I got the other bargains!
Well worth a visit.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 1/11/07 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
quote:
Originally posted by worX
Wet weather gear? Just go to your local bike shop.

OOhh Thats the expensive way.
Wait for the BMF bike Show at Peterborough, then visit the Frank Thomas Rejects tents there were 4 marquees FULL of gear. Some is really reject, but most appears to be mail order returns they cant sell off as new (Thats what they told me).

I got a £140 aquapore jacket for £40, and a £90 one for £25. All good kit.
OK they dont have the armoured shouldepads left in them, but you are not using it on a bike.
Gloves for £5, and excellent ones for £10.

The trick is to examine every seam, zip, popper, pocket very carefully. Most stuff is very good. But the prices are even better.
Its worth the time spent checking the kit for defects. 50% plus that I looked at, was perfect or near perfect.

I kitted out me and the wife for under £100, which is less than the cost of just one jacket.

Also got two New ACU gold stamped helmets for £30 each. But Not from a Rejects store. I am XXXL in the head, and couldnt get one locally to try on, which is why I went to the show in the first place, because of the number of dealers all in one place.
Took me several helmets to find a make that fitted my head size withough being uncomfortable.

Then I got the other bargains!
Well worth a visit.

I don't see how "that's" the most expensive way - my waterproofs were reduced from £60 to £25 as last years colours (black ) but I have bought more than a couple of things over the years from them (J&S Accessories) being a biker and the manager gave 'em to me for free! Not really that expensive...

Steve

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.