Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Weight of a Locost?
DarrenW

posted on 27/11/07 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Surely licence type is irrelevant to this post. norm is happy he has the legalities right so tht shold be end of story. It is also apparent that a good car can be built for under 550Kg. What iam interested to know is how the car is legally weighed and registered to qualify for this class. The design gross weights calculated at SVA is normally far higher than 550Kg. So how do the powers that be know the car is actually less than 550Kg?

Normsthename

posted on 27/11/07 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I have driven a 173bhp Zetec Tiger for 7 years and am now building a ZX12r Tiger.

I have owned several superbikes that have a far greater power to weight ratio than any kitcar has (1000+ bhp per tonne ) and I have managed to handle them O.K so I don't think a much lower powered Locust would be a problem.
In complete contrast to this, I am regularly on USA bike forums and over there car drivers can go out and buy 180bhp Superbikes with no training whatsoever
Plenty of those guys live to tell the tale......
All I am talking about doing is building a low powered Locost, I am not interested in a fireblade or hayabusa powered fire breathing car
I would be fittiing an engine with an absolute maximum power of 100 bhp approx. perhaps even a lower powered Big V-Twin
Wheres the harm in that?
Even my plastic Pigs had 41 bhp (94 bhp per tonne)........

quote:

So how do the powers that be know the car is actually less than 550Kg?

First thing people like me do is to get them officially weighed. Some people have light cars and then strip them of 'extras' car stereo etc to make sure the weight is below the 550kg limit.
Then they get the Logbook changed to reflect the 'corrected' weight.

quote:

Fair enough, you've found a loophole and you're going to exploit it even if it makes your life unnessesarily complicated as has just been demonstrated by you having to justify at length on here what you're doing Best of luck to you!

quote:
norm is happy he has the legalities right so tht shold be end of story

Thanks

Andy

[Edited on 27/11/07 by Normsthename]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.