Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: bathroom plumbing
adam1985

posted on 30/4/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
hi sounds to me like your problem is a air lock where the pipes come across the floor under your bath because the hot and cold should be the exact same presure as they are both feed from the same tank so this rules out the taps being too restricted are the taps quarter turn ones or the old fasioned screw ones to clear the air lock there are a couple of things you can try either put you mouth over the tap turn it on then try blow like mad to clear it (very hard work) or get a hose pipe connect it to a mains tap (kithen or outside tap) and the other end to bath tap and force it out that way
Wheels244

posted on 30/4/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Pressure (Bar) = Head ( in metres) divided by 10

In your case = approx 0.24 bar or 3.48 ILBs per sq in - Not a good start.

Next the 'inverse square law' - in brief if you double the diameter of a pipe you quarter the frictional loss, so you can get 4 times as much water through it for the same given pressure. Conversely, if you half the the diameter, you will quarter the amount of water through it.

I cannot see why you would feed your cold water taps from a tank, plumb them direct into the feed for the house - you will get a much higher pressure which will compensate for the smaller diameter pipe.

stevebubs

posted on 30/4/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruskino80
1.drain down tank
2.install 15 mm tank connector low down on side.
3.run 15mm pipe from this to pump(sat on floor next to cylinder)inlet (twin impellor pumps are inlet and outlet per side).
4.cut into 22 mm hot draw off of top of cylinder and t off in 15(or fit an essex flange)fit pipe to other side of pump.

5 pipe up outlets to your new shower valve
6 refill system and run draw offs to expell air
7 plug in pump

that should do it

be carefull though especially around the top of the cylinder part of the job things can go horribly wrong here!!!!

ps this is a very basic description-i shall not be held liable for any disasters!

hth rich

I'm lost - diagram?

adam1985

posted on 30/4/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
10 years ago when nobody had combis about 95% of house ran the bath and basin of storage tanks there was no problem with them then and there still aint converting to the mains will work if thats what you wanna do but the easist thing to do is is just clear the air lock
stevebubs

posted on 30/4/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adam1985
10 years ago when nobody had combis about 95% of house ran the bath and basin of storage tanks there was no problem with them then and there still aint converting to the mains will work if thats what you wanna do but the easist thing to do is is just clear the air lock

Am I reading the above right in that the easiest way to do that is to squirt mains water up from the taps to the tank?

eccsmk

posted on 30/4/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
generally if you either stick you wet n dry vacuum on the tap that will remove the air lock or a short length of garden hose put into the connector in the tank and blow away

i havent read every post so you might have already been told this next bit but air locks only occur when a run of pipe rises and falls again
(this may be deleted if i find it written in a previous post)
HTH

stevebubs

posted on 30/4/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adam1985

Yep - his house dates from 1983 and mine 1984 (I think)

MkIndy7

posted on 30/4/08 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Just a quick one... have U tried putting the old taps back on?

The new taps might be of a different type and more restrictive inside.. espescially as its effecting both hot and cold water, and the hot water was probably restricted down in the first place.

did that this evening before I posted as my first reaction was that it may be the taps at fault.

The new tap is definitely a contributing factor. With just a flexi at the tap height, I we can half fill a saucepan from the cold tap in about 15 seconds. With the new taps it takes about 2 minutes.

The hot water on just a flexi half fills said saucepan in about half the time. With the tap installed, it takes about 30 seconds.

Conversely, both the hot and cold taps at my house will fill said saucepan full in about 7 seconds - making the flow rate about twice as high for hot and 4x as high for cold...

Just reading this back it sums it up completely.. no need to get carried away with airlocks etc.. the taps are just of poor and restrictive design.

Taps can range from £10 a pair to the absoloute crazyness, what looked like 2 normal pairs of taps even with our works discount went from £10 for the cheepest to £40 for some others and even onto over £100 a pair for some others. Allowing for shinier chrome, packageing and whatever else there must be a difference in the design construstion and styling etc.

Without the taps and just the flexi's connected there's a pretty good flow of water.. it just all goes wrong after that!

Schrodinger

posted on 2/5/08 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Having recently been looking for a shower and taps, I found that a lot of taps these days require at least 1bar, where did your bath/taps come from?

Keith
Aviemore

stevebubs

posted on 3/5/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
www.the-direct-group.co.uk

Is the corner whirlpool bath - comes complete with taps etc already fitted...and you're quite right - it specifies 1 bar pressure...

Have been out and bought a salamander CT75 from screwfix. Will be fitting it tomorrow.

[Edited on 3/5/08 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 4/5/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Right - while you lot have been getting rained on at Stoneleigh, I've had my head under a bath getting rained on there.

Thankfully putting the CT75 pump in the airing cupboard did the trick - now have a nice steady flow of water into the bath!!

Thanks for all your help!!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.