Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: winter rebuild - zetec turbo super six - updated 08-04-09
djtom

posted on 15/7/09 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I finally decided what to do about the rear end and bought a GTS De Dion axle from HOL (cheers for that Andy!).

Of course, like everything else about this project, it didn't fit, so it required modification. This was because the linking arm of the De Dion fouled the petrol tank. I briefly considered getting the tank modified, but as I didn't know anyone stupid enough to volunteer to weld a used petrol tank I resorted to hacking the de dion apart instead.

Before wading in with the grinder I thought I'd see what geometry was built into the axle as standard, by bolting some 2m tubes to the hub carriers and measuring the width at the front and at the back. Trigonometry does the rest!

Turns out that the GTS dedion (well, this one anyway!) has approx 0.6 deg toe in (total) and 0.6 deg negative camber (total).

I thought this was probably a good starting point, so I built a jig to hold the axle in place whilst I chopped out the offending middle section and replaced it with a less sticky outy bit made out of some scaffolding pole, which should be fairly bullet-proof judging from the impressive weight!

The jig was made of a spare U-beam picked up for a quid from the local scrappy, with hub carriers welded on.

axle bolted on jig

chop chop!

Chopped off an inch or two inboard of training arm mounts.

replacement scaff pole being measured up

Scaff bar tacked in place and slotted for a bracing section to be added for strength

Back on the jig and welded - the bracing section is 6mm sheet, extending right through the axle and welded on both sides.

Axle trial fitted. Need to shave a bit off the rear diff mount, but it's not doing anything anyway. At least the axle misses the tank now!

Tom

djtom

posted on 15/7/09 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted to do something about the mounting point for the rear trailing arms. As Tiger originally designed the car, the trailing arms are very short (245mm c-c) which promotes an unhealthy amount of roll steer. By moving the mounting point forward I can lengthen the trailing arms by about 100mm, which should help. I need to make some more trailing arms anyway, because a) I want to rose-joint these, and b) I've sold the old ones.

Old mounting point:

Chopped out:

New upright made out of 40mm box section, with one side cut out. This has 3mm wall, so should easily stand up to the job. I was only going to cut the rear away where the trailing arms protrude, but didn't want it to trap water and rust from the inside out, so cutting the whole back of the tube away should give the water nowhere to get trapped.

New trailing arms also made now, just need to buy some polybushes for the rear end of them. Anyone know where they are cheapest? I need 4, id of the trailing arm tube is 28mm, od is 33mm and width is 33mm.

I feel quite pleased now - feel like I've achieved quite a bit over the last week or so!

Tom

MikeRJ

posted on 15/7/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Probably a good move chopping that section of the De-Dion out as well, I always thought the loading on the central welded joint would be quite high, and someone did have this joint fail in use!
HOL

posted on 16/7/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
I finally decided what to do about the rear end and bought a GTS De Dion axle from HOL (cheers for that Andy!).

Only cos I found and bought two!

Ill be bring the second one along for modification once you get all the bugs ironed out!!

djtom

posted on 16/7/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote

Only cos I found and bought two!

Ill be bring the second one along for modification once you get all the bugs ironed out!!

I'll keep the jig handy then - although it may be a while before the bugs get ironed out!

mark chandler

posted on 16/7/09 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Polybushes can be turned down in a lathe, cheapest will be landrover panard rod or trailing arm I recon.
contaminated

posted on 6/10/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Any more progress?

Dan

HOL

posted on 2/12/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Come on Tom, I know you are further in, lets have an update.

Andy

dave

posted on 29/12/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I thought I was mad rebuilding my E1 but this is a full redesign I am still thinking of replacing the sierra beam set up with something a bit lighter.

loggyboy

posted on 29/12/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Its also a 2 year old thread?!
djtom

posted on 29/12/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
It is indeed a 2 year old thread - keeping it up to date rather fell by the wayside! However, I'm pleased to report that as of early this summer the car was back on the road, and barring a few teething problems all went well.

First trackday of the year was at Lydden a couple of months ago and it went very well indeed, the changes to the geometry all seem to have worked out nicely. It now looks like this:

Lydden
Lydden

Regards,
Tom

[Edited on 29/12/11 by djtom]

JimM

posted on 29/12/11 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work .... Good bit of re-engineering
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.