Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Are Robin Hood Cars in trouble?
MikeRJ

posted on 21/8/06 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I've been holding off asking this question, but as we're getting more generic ......

i was under the impression that Ali has an issue that it has no elastic limit. Every time it flexes it work hardens. How have robin hood modified the design to take this into account when mounting suspension etc?

Modified which design? They don't make a steel version of this chassis as far as I know?

[Edited on 21/8/06 by MikeRJ]

smart51

posted on 21/8/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
The original press release said that you could have a choice of ali, mild or stainless steel. That was before they were taken over though.
DorsetStrider

posted on 21/8/06 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Really really sorry to hear about your troubles Trevour.

Has there been any more news? Please keep us informed as I'm sure we are all thinking of you and hoping for a satisfactory solution for you.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Jon Bradbury

posted on 26/8/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

Modified which design? They don't make a steel version of this chassis as far as I know?

I think it is reasonable to assume the design of the chassis is in part derived from the earlier steel monocoques that RH used to produce (even if the means of construction differ). The front looks very similar. The rear suspension is the really different bit as it does away with the Siera semi-trailing arm setup. Instead, you keep the diff, half shafts and hub carriers and get proper wishbones instead (hooray!).

I'm a moderator on the RHOCAR forum and we are presently discussing the club's "official" response to this situation. There's been a lot of speculation on several different car builder fora and I think most of it is pointless and damaging to the kit car industry and to RHSC. It would be nice if people stuck to the facts for now.

For my part, I'm hopeful of a happy resolution. The LW is an important part of the Robin Hood line up, and that in itself is a good enough reason to for them to address these issues. I'm sure they will in due course - we just need to be patient.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/8/06 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I hate to say this but a reliable source has informed me that the investment company who own RH had the liquidators in on Thursday/Friday. I agree that its not good to speculate but I wouldn't post this if I wasn't confident in the accuracy of the information. Despite that, I do sincerely hope it is wrong especially for those that have invested time and money into the Lightweight kits that may never pass SVA, but from what Ive heard it doesnt look good.

iank

posted on 27/8/06 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'd heard the same rumour, but wasn't commenting since my source was of unknown reliability. If they aren't they should say so to quash the rumours a.s.a.p.

I would note RH have had their main sites suspended for some reason.
Try http://www.robinhoodengineering.co.uk
or http://www.robinhoodsportscars.co.uk

http://www.lolocost.co.uk/ and http://www.mr2kit.co.uk/ are still working...

Only reason I've seen that happen is when someone hasn't paid their web hosting company for some reason.

JoelP

posted on 27/8/06 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
theres a locked thread on rhocar where someone implies that he intends to get a winding up order on RHSC, for money owed. That was 16 days ago.

Certainly looks bleak for them, but it could be a series of coincidences. Would explain a lot though.

Jon Ison

posted on 30/8/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Broken Robin Hood Website

That's gotta be proper gut wrenching for someone, hope I'm not repeating from above, not read it all but didnt Robin hood recently change hands for a 6 figure sum ?

I know they have there fair share of knockers but been local i have used them a time or two for various bits and found them helpful and as long as you pick and choose what you use them for decent quality bits/parts too.
It was Robin hood that got me into locosts in the 1st place, i was pondering one till I stumbled across "the book" whilst doing a bit of research, very active owners club too, they know how too party.

Jon Ison

posted on 30/8/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just found this statement from Robin hood.

"We have been looking at the various comments on our lightweight and the issue of sva
Our lightweight demonstrater was succesfully sva tested prior to official launch of the car,with a car properly approved we started selling the kit.We have seen a number of Lightweights built and registered all over the world
Our car has been recently striped down for examination and NO PROBLEMS WERE ENCOUNTERED this car has been used on track days,on the road all year and if you remember used by the press (including a trip to France)

We have just re-tested our own car again (this week) succesfully!

We all know the SVA centres vary enourmously from region to region some things they pass in one station sometimes same fail in others
It apperars the kit car industry suffers from these inconsistancies and interpritations through no fault of their own"

Jon Ison

posted on 30/8/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Also this statement re web site........

"The reason for the current website downtime is due to us reaching our download limit.
This is down to the sucess of the new pdf parts brochure we have recieved over 50 megabites worth of downloads. This has resulted in the website being down. Therefore the pdf will be removed and if you require it please email me subject title parts pdf and we will send one via email.

RHSC"

robinbastd

posted on 30/8/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Also this statement re web site........

"The reason for the current website downtime is due to us reaching our download limit.
This is down to the sucess of the new pdf parts brochure we have recieved over 50 megabites worth of downloads. This has resulted in the website being down. Therefore the pdf will be removed and if you require it please email me subject title parts pdf and we will send one via email.

RHSC"

It seems to be taking a very, very long time to get the website back online.

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

MikeRJ

posted on 30/8/06 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
50MB download limit? Are they hosting the website on some free webspace somewhere?
MartinDB

posted on 31/8/06 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, something fishy there.
Looking at the hosting packages their provider has (following the link on the "This website has been suspended" page), the cheapest has 2GB/month bandwidth.
Even if it was over their limit, surely they'd just pay for more bandwidth.

Martin.

stevebubs

posted on 31/8/06 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Doing a search on rhocar.org finds a quote from "diyer"

"Mu lightweight 2.0l zetec powered hood weighed in at 590kg"

Light compared to a 2b, but not that impressive IMO.

Blimey - my Fury with windscreen and weather gear is only 620kg...

kipper

posted on 31/8/06 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble at robin hood

On the local news here in sunny Hull it was reported that Humbrol, the makers of Airfix kits and those little tins of paint for modelers has gone into liquidation.
Humbrol, I believe, are the parent company of Robin Hood Kit cars.
Is this the end of Robin Hood?
It would be a shame if another manufacturer went
Regards Kipper.

marc n

posted on 31/8/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
i think the only link between rh and humbrol was the rh md ian rowley ??? used to be md of humbrol, i think thats the link dont think humbrol owned rh but could be wrong

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kipper

posted on 31/8/06 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Robin hood

I hope you are right Marc, I used to race motor bikes with Ian Rowley and was good friend of his dad.
If you read this Ian, best of luck mate.

marc n

posted on 31/8/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
i think im right but not sure, treid to find the original press release but failed, sure it said something along the lines of a venture capitalist group headed by ex humbrol md ian rowley purchased rh

think it was on total kitcar ????

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 31/8/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
i can assure you humbrol have nothing to do with RH . They might be owned by the same people , but not the same company .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

marc n

posted on 31/8/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
thought i wasnt losing my marbles, so all is ok

best regards

marc

the_fbi

quote:
Originally posted by marc n
i think im right but not sure, treid to find the original press release but failed, sure it said something along the lines of a venture capitalist group headed by ex humbrol md ian rowley purchased rh

think it was on total kitcar ????

http://www.totalkitcar.com/tkc_article_1034.php

kipper

glad to hear that, thanks for clearing it up.
Kipper.

Jonte

posted on 10/9/06 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
Any news on this?

Click it

locostv8

posted on 19/9/06 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=12786&st=240

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

Guinness

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Don't let the RH boys see this, but this is the latest from Lotus:-

"The new Esprit sticks to Lotus's 'performance out of lightweight' ethos. So the chassis is made largely of extruded aluminium, cold cured and riveted together. The lightweight construction saves weight and boosts rigidity. This time, a convertible version of the supercar will be produced. The chassis is certainly stiff enough - sources claim its torsional rigidity is three times better than that of Ferrari's F430 Spider. Engineers are so confident, they are currently exploring making the chassis floor thinner in places, to keep the mass down."

Sourced here:-

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/secret_new_car.php?sid=14&page=3

Mike

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.