Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Nuts and Bolts
dubstar_04

posted on 2/12/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Nuts and Bolts

I want to order a load of nuts and bolts for my build.

I was wondering what the most common bolts setscrews, nuts etc are?

I am probably going to order them in bags of 100 from screwfix so I need to get the most common ones really.

Another option would be to buy smaller quantities from the local engineering suppliers but I figured it would be handy to have a good collection of fasteners for any future projects!

Many thanks,

Dan

BenB

posted on 2/12/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
M8s. Can't get enough of them. Always using M8 bolts and nuts. And washers. Lots of washers.....

And nylocks. You can re-use bolts and washers but re-using nylocks ain't good....

Screwfix are good in bulk....

RichardK

posted on 2/12/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Buy normal nuts and replace them with nylocs at the end of your build.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 2/12/08 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Besides ordering M8s I tried to use bolts which are graded for strength 8.8 or more.
It strikes me that for the extra cost involved I'd rather have peace of mind than the off-chance a lower grade bolt failing, especially since our applications are probably more vibration prone than most others.
For that same reason I've tried to avoid stainless as they tend to be more brittle.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

designer

posted on 2/12/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
ALWAYS use top grade bolts; for everything!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Theshed

posted on 2/12/08 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
The best rant on bolts is to be found in "Engineer to win" series of books. I agree with Designer above - I would never use a bolt from screwfix in a car that I wanted to drive fast. You can safely use capscrews of industrial quality or aircraft bolts are just fine.....but not locost!
iank

posted on 2/12/08 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
The best rant on bolts is to be found in "Engineer to win" series of books. I agree with Designer above - I would never use a bolt from screwfix in a car that I wanted to drive fast. You can safely use capscrews of industrial quality or aircraft bolts are just fine.....but not locost!

Screwfix bolts are grade 8.8, except the cap screws at 12.9, or do you have a reason to believe they are lying?
Now B&Q bolts are another matter

[Edited on 2/12/08 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 3/12/08 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
i've actually started using cap head bolts for everything. i think they look better, plus grade 12.9, you can't go wrong.

but thats not the question. M8, M10 and a few M12 probably. but whatever number you get, you'll probably need at least twice as many washers as bolts, and nuts too. as said, build using normal nuts, and only use nylocs for the final tightening up

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

02GF74

posted on 3/12/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ as above .... but no matter what diameter/lenth you buy, the one you need in a hurry will be the one size you don't have.

thunderace

posted on 3/12/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
b&q bolts are made of zink
iank

posted on 3/12/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
b&q bolts are made of zink

I thought it was silver painted cheese.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.