Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Robin Hood vs. Westfield
maartenromijn

posted on 11/12/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood vs. Westfield

Hi all,

With regard to the registration questions (for Netherlands) that I still have, one of the options I have is to buy a registered car.

I have done some searching to find the pro's and cons for Robin Hood compared to Westfield. I have found that the RH is heavy. But does it provide quality or stiffness in return? Wat about the quality of a Westy? Or is it all depending on the setup?

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

mr henderson

posted on 11/12/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Why restrict yourself to those two makes.

If I was looking at buying a second hand car I wouldn't consider either of those unless I saw an exceptional one.

I would be looking at MNR, MK and MAC, maybe Tiger (although I don't like that bonnet bulge) and Luego

John

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/12/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
The westy will probably easily out handle the r/h but prefer the stainless panels and the bent tube chassis of the r/h as it should be very durable and safer so that’s the one I’d go for, also costs less

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 11/12/08 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I very much doubt the RH 2B is either safer or stiffer than a Westfield, it's has an appalling chassis design.
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/12/08 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I very much doubt the RH 2B is either safer or stiffer than a Westfield, it's has an appalling chassis design.

in what way?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 11/12/08 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I'd tread carefully with RH, and do some reserch.

There a few different models, some are meant to be aweful, I think the more modern ones are better - but not sure which one...

Westfield is a well known brand, and they produce decent cars.

But those two marques are at the two extremes of the market, as has been mentioned why dont you look to the MNR,MK etc.

I think I'd be looking at them, but it is a buyers market at the moment, so dont rush into it, take your time, and pick one that is as closely speced to what you want as you can.

[Edited on 11/12/08 by Dangle_kt]

tendoshingan

posted on 11/12/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I had similar thoughts when I was about to purchase.
I ended up getting a Robin Hood Zero as I thought that it looked much better than the original 2B and seemed to follow the original design much better.

I also know that it stands up pretty well getting hit in the side by a car on a roundabout.

Seeing as that was what happened when my mate was having a test run at the Robin Hood workshop!!

My only gripe is that there is no build manual (so no shock from RH there) and you still need to fettle a bit. But Richard at RH is always helpful when I've whinged down the phone.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 11/12/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
If it were me, I'd look at a R1ot.... in fact, I am. Let's call it a GSXRot.

As a Westfield owner I can say that the car is OK, though a tad outdated and certainly not the best in the value for money stakes. For durability, the Tiger has a great chassis, very strong. MK damn good on the VFM stakes.

maartenromijn

posted on 11/12/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Problem is that I have started to build a locost for the reason that LO is in the word. Since I have other financial obligations, children, expensive house, wife I do not have that much budget.

Moreover, I think my other half will not agree if I will invest a couple k €€€€ in a 'toy' / hobby. Building the locost is perfect: the investment are spread over a couple of years.

AND I want to used my saved up money to build a decent garage, 100 sq. metre, isolated, etc.

That's why I am looking into the mentioned cars. I think MNR, Tiger, etc. are too expensive...

mr henderson

posted on 11/12/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maartenromijn

That's why I am looking into the mentioned cars. I think MNR, Tiger, etc. are too expensive...

I can see why you might think that, but I don't see why you would think Westfield would be a less expensive option

John

maartenromijn

posted on 11/12/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Westies are more common in the Netherlands, hence cheaper available.

If there are other brands available (registered) then it is usual a more exotic setup.

I might look into importing myself as well. Should I look on eBay, or are there other possiblities?

Note I am only considering, not actually looking to buy a registered car.

mr henderson

posted on 11/12/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Westies are more common in the Netherlands, hence cheaper available.

That would seem to be an excellent reason. In the UK they are generally considered to be more expensive than many, due to the firm being large and well established. Having said that, some of their older cars can be bought at good prices.

quote:

I might look into importing myself as well. Should I look on eBay, or are there other possiblities?

Ebay would probably be the main source, this forum and the westfield one sometimes produce bargains too

John

Dingz

posted on 11/12/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
As someone has already said there are lots of different types of Robin Hoods, although the 2B is quite heavy it is also roomy, so if you want to carry a bit of luggage or a tent it is ideal. The stainless steel is a plus too. The westfield will beat it on a track but it depends what you want to use it for. Could you get over to a show over here? that way you will see lots of different makes and talk with the owners
MikeRJ

posted on 11/12/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

in what way?

I don't think Tricky Dicky ever fully grasped the concept of triangulation.

The sides of the chassis have a couple of nearly-triangles connected by a couple of definately-not-triangles. The sides passenger compartment that could have provided some side protection are probably weaker than the ones on a locost/westy since they do not directly attach to a stiff bulkhead structure.

2B Chassis Pic

Bits of bent exhaust pipe were never going to provide a great chassis design, but very importantly for RH it provided a very cheap one.

[Edited on 11/12/08 by MikeRJ]

maartenromijn

posted on 11/12/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Lookin at the pic, this chassis does need some serious triangulation!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.