Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wet patches in tin top
roadrunner

posted on 21/12/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Wet patches in tin top

I have two wet patches in the foot wells of my golf, i do know there are rubber patchy thingys under each foot well, are these supposed to be sealed over like the rest of the under carriage or left clear.
Thanks Brad.

rusty nuts

posted on 21/12/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Check the bulkhead drains under the bonnet. The drain holes get bunged up with dead leaves .
roadrunner

posted on 21/12/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Its also effecting back seat wells too.

MikeR

posted on 21/12/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
friends got a seat leon where the door seals have gone. she parks on a hill, depending which way the car faces she gets either 1" water in the front or rear.
austin man

posted on 21/12/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Golf MK4 if parked on the pavement water gets into the car via the door seals too
matt_gsxr

posted on 21/12/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
drill holes in the floor and remove the carpet.

Locost solution.

Matt

f1ngers

posted on 21/12/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Also worth checking the the polythene liner behind each door panel is sealing properly. Water that gets past the window rubber flows into the car rather than down inside the door and out the bottom.
Also the drain holes in the bottom of the doors can get blocked and in heavy rain the doors start to fill up and overflow through a poorly sealed polythene lining and into the car.

omega0684

posted on 21/12/08 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
not sure about the back seat footwells but i had a similar problem in that i was getting regular puddles of water in both footwells,

turned out the the heater radiator had sprung a leak and as it was mounted behind the dash it was leaking down into the footwells.

as a result the car was over heating a lot and i was regularly topping up with water,

just a thought......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
focijohn

posted on 21/12/08 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hate to second the matrix but that or door seals have cured most the problems at work???
Pressure test the cooling system and x your fingers

HTH

John

[Edited on 21/12/08 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

AR-CoolC

posted on 22/12/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
What golf is it? Mk4?

If so there have been quite a few "issues" with water entry.

First off, has if got a sunroof? if it has check the drain tubes are not blocked.

Second, check under the plenum chamber cover, that there are no leaves etc blocking the drains at each outer end. and then that the pollen filter is correctly fitted and not bunged up with leaves etc.

Third, there is a problem with water coming past the foam seal on the metal inner door cassette, the locost solution to this, is remove the door panel, and smear the lip around the cassette with silicone sealent. Also check the outer door seals fro signs of damage, or marks where water has been getting past.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/237075.aspx?PageIndex=1

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/41893.aspx

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

Agriv8

posted on 22/12/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Passat suffered with leaves blocking the drain holes on the scuttle just bellow the screen.

when parked with Ns on kirb and os on road used to fill up and track down where the ECU connectes through the bulkhead to the fuse bord realys act.

fixed by taking it apart and sealing with silicone.

still dry 5 years later.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

nick205

posted on 22/12/08 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
This all reminds me of my dear old MK1 Fiesta - used to leak like a seive. Punched a few holes in the floor (through the rusty patches ) and let it drain out.

Never had a problem with my old Leon, but you'd think manufacturer's would have this sussed by now really.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/12/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
The same thing happened to my daughter's Mk4 Golf Gti - the carpet used to get sodden when the wind blew the rain in the right direction.

Considering how much it cost when it was new, it was a heap of absolute rubbish - absolutely full of well-documented faults (e.g. front windows that fall into the door, glove compartment lock failure, leaks and, apparently, a flywheel that falls of the crank! - had all these faults, apart from the last - thank heavens). Thankfully it's now long gone...

roadrunner

posted on 26/12/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The same thing happened to my daughter's Mk4 Golf Gti - the carpet used to get sodden when the wind blew the rain in the right direction.

Considering how much it cost when it was new, it was a heap of absolute rubbish - absolutely full of well-documented faults (e.g. front windows that fall into the door, glove compartment lock failure, leaks and, apparently, a flywheel that falls of the crank! - had all these faults, apart from the last - thank heavens). Thankfully it's now long gone...

Thanks fellas lots of usefull ideas to check out , as for your daughters GTI David, mine has been spot on really, mines the 170 V5 cracking engine really smooth but crap chassis especially after driving a BEC seven.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.