Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sticky Solenoid on a xflow?
GaryM

posted on 9/3/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sticky Solenoid on a xflow?

Why would the cable between my stater solenoid and interia starter motor get so hot that it starts smoking the insulation AFTER i have turned the ignition off completely?

This happened at the weekend when I was trying to start the car for the first time with my new bike carbs installation. The car has been on the road for 2 years with no previous problems in this area.

After about 10-15 secs of unsuccessfull (engine not firing) cranking the starter motor slowed and then stopped so I turned the ignition key to the OFF position. A few seconds later I noticed a wisp of smoke from the high current lead, this steadily got worse with the most smoke coming from either ends of the lead close to the connectors.

Luckily, I managed to quickly disconnect the battery earth lead before the lead caught fire!

Starter seems OK, I've tested it in out of the car and after a battery recharge, the solenoid seems to switch OK too.

Nothing else seems to have been damaged (touch wood) but i'm curious to what could have caused it and thinking very seriously about fitting a battery isolator switch!

Cheers
Gary

[Edited on 9/3/09 by GaryM]

[Edited on 9/3/09 by GaryM]

02GF74

posted on 9/3/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
check the cable crimp connectors to ensrue they make very good contact with the riter; also the connection on the posts.

all of this takes big current so if the is any reistance, it will get hot as wold happen if the crimps are ppolrly made or corrssion on the contacts/terminals.

if the start solenoid was sticking closed, the starter motor would keep turning.

does the cabvle get hot when you turn the igntion on and have not tried to turn the start over, if it does, then that is very bad - I suspect the crnking over of the engine heated the wire up.

also check the earch starp is connected and again makes good contact with chassis, ideally back to 0 V of battery terminal

cjtheman

posted on 9/3/09 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
i have just had this problem myself
i turned out to be a faulty starter motor
changed starter and all ok even the coil was getting hot starter to solanoid wire was to hot to hold
hth
cheers
colin

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

AndyGT

posted on 9/3/09 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Totally remove the cable and check the flexibility of your cable. By doing this you might find that some of the strands of the wire have broken so when you were cranking over the engine, the strands that are still connected have to do a lot more work which would explain the wire getting hot. Also try another cable and see what happens... If it does the same it is not the wire.

Good luck!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.