Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: So, what have we all achieved this weekend?
aerosam

posted on 22/3/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
So, what have we all achieved this weekend?

I've just got back inside from my first session in the garage for a week and a half, must get more motivated.

I did some more work on my chassis, welding in half the tubes that make up the rear bulkhead.

Earlier in the week I met Wyn (aka lsdweb) who gave me a MIG welder for free! Thanks again!

Earlier again I rather rashly bought a BMW 540i I don't need. Now I have 2 projects on the go. Doh!

I also recieved from Lee (aka Maximill666) sierra front discs, calipers, pads and maxi balljoints. Cheers Lee!

So, what's everyone else been up to?

[Edited on 22/3/09 by aerosam]

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

tegwin

posted on 22/3/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
First weekend out in the sun driving the car for me.... LOVED it!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

speedyxjs

posted on 22/3/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Extended the driveway to accomodate 2 more cars, loaded the old engine into the back of the astra and did a bit more welding to the chassis.
COREdevelopments

posted on 22/3/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Been clocking up a few miles on the car as i just got her out earlier this week!! needs a good wash now.

Rob

big_wasa

posted on 22/3/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Fitted my exhaust and ran the engine for a good hour

The inlet raw from the dcoe's is much louder than the exhaust

Even the wife said "bloody hell is that nearlly finished "

Ive got to cut one more hole in the bulk head for the seperate engine managment loom and then make friends with the local fastner firm as that about all I need now, The nuts and bolts to put it all together

blakep82

posted on 22/3/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
nothing went and had a look at it. that was about it...

nearly broke my dads nose though, on his birthday. lol
i didn't realise he was pulling on it that much, i gave it a light tap, and off it came! very quickly, and right into his nose

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

westf27

posted on 22/3/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Did the right thing for me Mum today

omega0684

posted on 22/3/09 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
150+ miles of wind in my face action for me! bloody brilliant!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madteg

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Made seat pads
Fitted intercooler into a box
fitted new bonnet
fitted new scoop on bonnet
fitted new expansion tank
but never got to go for a spin as i am waiting for glue to go off.
ROLL ON NEXT WEEKEND.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just got back after watching Liverpool demolish Villa 5-0 at the pub - nothing else matters too much but seem to remember that Everton, Man U and Chelski all lost yesterday... plus i think i was out in an R1 locost at some stage and may have tried to play snooker and drink lager!! Ah well - whatever!!!

Good weekend me thinks!!

jollygreengiant

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Finished preping for SVA monday morning. See post elsewhere.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

clairetoo

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had a good run out yesterday in the sun after swopping the fuel pump , and spent today machining and re-spacing throttle bodies

[img][/img]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Went blind on Friday night and passed out on someones floor, must've been something in that last pint Was a bit unsteady on Saturday and was in bed early And today I tried to fit a bias valve which didn't go on and needs some fettling and I'm seriously close to having to replace the now too short brake line. All in pretty rubbish

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I make a 300 mile round trip to:

1) pick up dog from stud (anyone fancy a lab pup in a few months???)

2) pick up 3.92 LSD for a diff swap

oh yes - and stripped and cleaned brake calliper, and adjusted ride height

[Edited on 22/3/09 by Xtreme Kermit]

Staple balls

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Outside internal panels mostly made.
Footwell firewall top bits made.
Brakes/discs de-crapped and bled, one brake line replaced
Rivnut fitted (most time consuming job of all, proper rivnut tool wouldn't fit, MK pile of bolts one rusted solid, bodged back to usable, 3 hours wasted, stopped me getting chassis repainted
Pedals/steering column painted.

givemethebighammer

posted on 22/3/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Took motorbike out of storage, checked it all over, changed the oil, fresh tank of petrol and off out for a ride in the sun.

Looked at the tiger after getting back with a grin on my face and decided that could wait a week or two (confirmed by the weather forecast for next week)

Simon

posted on 22/3/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Up at 6.15 this morning, get to Pease Pottage services to organize the marshalls for the Pioneer Run (Epsom to Brighton Veteran bikes - pre 1915).

Home about 2pm, thought about going to work on car after quick lie down, wife wakes me at 6.00pm. Ooops

ATB

Simon

hobzy

posted on 22/3/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Took the Mrs and sprogs to Harting Down for a nice walk and a picnic as I have spent some considerable time in the car on Pistonheads runs over the last few weekends and we have a 5 week old son, so really did owe her big time. Actually a glorious day and spent the afternoon in the garden building an obelisk for the Clemetis I bought but couldnt decide where to plant . Ah, how my life has changed over the last few years

Need to find out what I've done to second before the long run to Stoneleigh...might help if I stopped driving it

scutter

posted on 22/3/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for pic size, but I spent Sat wearing out the tyres at Lydden hill.

Lydden 09
Lydden 09

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 22/3/09 by scutter]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 22/3/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Finally got the horses moved out into the field after all that bl**dy rain, it eventually dried out enough!

Spent most of yesterday afternoon checking all the chassis welds and giving it a coat of red oxide.

Also finished off the painting of all the suspension bits, bones, trailing arms, uprights, axle, etc.

Just got to get some new bearings for the diff pinion then I can get the diff and axle rebuilt. With any luck, I can get the chassis on wheels soon

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

DIY Si

posted on 22/3/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to clean my garage up at last. Only been meaning to do it for 3 years! Only to realise that I still have one mini engine and box with 2 spare cylinder heads, a 1.8 CVH with no head, a 2.5 Alfa V6 and it's gearbox, and my Indy's engine in bits on the bench too. Oh, and I managed to pour the entire contents of the mini's sump on the floor. A mere gallon of 4 year old oil. At least I can get at all of bench now though!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

02GF74

posted on 22/3/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
spent most of sat cutting/filling/drilling/welding up this.

despte MIG plaing up.

seems sturdy enough but when I lift up engine by mount on other side, the 3 mm plate is flexing!! not sure if that'll be a problem or not - I intend to weld an adjoining brace.

couldn't face doing the same on Sun so took the mountain for a spin on a big hilly route that I knew woold not be muddy. and it wasn't, which was nice but seems everyman woman and their dog spot was out there too.

driving on way back just missed seeing biker coming off - some ninja leathered black bike dude come off and lying on ground whit his mates and various other bystanders standing by.,

made note to 'self to sign up for St Johnies first aid course. Rescued attachment DSC04502.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC04502.JPG

kipper

posted on 22/3/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
This w/e

Friday I fitted a high torque edge starter motor from cambridge eng to the crossflow. and it has completely cured the lazy stating probs. First time every time now.
Sat ,took the cb72 honda for MOT , IT passed with no bother , then over to the post office for my FREE tax disc.
Could'nt resist going for a short ride in the sunshine.
Sun ...Went out on the Honda to Sherburn in Elnet to the biker cafe for a ride. It was very windy so took the bike back to the workshop and got the STM out and went for a blat in and around YORK.
all in all a very good W/E
Kipper

Where did that go?
<<<<

MikeRJ

posted on 23/3/09 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
spent most of sat cutting/filling/drilling/welding up this.

despte MIG plaing up.

seems sturdy enough but when I lift up engine by mount on other side, the 3 mm plate is flexing!! not sure if that'll be a problem or not - I intend to weld an adjoining brace.

It doesn't look anything like strong enough enough to me, is that 25mm RHS?

The problem with that design is that with the angled rubber mounts, the weight of the engine will be pushing the tops of the mount outward, which creates a large moment at the solidly mounted bottom. Consider what will happen over bumps and dips in the road as the mounts get loaded and unloaded.

A triangulated design would significantly improve things, but the traditional locost type mounting with the rubber horizontal on the lower chassis rails is a better bet IMO.

02GF74

posted on 23/3/09 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

It doesn't look anything like strong enough enough to me, is that 25mm RHS?

The problem with that design is that with the angled rubber mounts, the weight of the engine will be pushing the tops of the mount outward, which creates a large moment at the solidly mounted bottom.

yep - back to the drawing board - I suspect the welds aren't up to it either.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.