Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help!!! twinky has died I am lost
Vindi_andy

posted on 2/4/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Help!!! twinky has died I am lost

I have a 2.0l dohc from a 92 sierra in my kitcar.

With assistance from Jeroen I removed the anti theft module and have had the engine running but the fans dodnt kick in. bought a mondeo fanswitch and manage to crack the stat housing fitting it. Sourced a new housing through the forum and while I was waiting for it to come I tidied up the wiring and removed some excess wire.

I have put everything back the way it was but now it wont start. The fuel pump runs and there is fuel going hrought the system I can smell it. The engine cranks over but its not firing. There is power at the coil but there is no spark

Someone please save my sanity and my kitcar Ive got my roadworthyness test in 3 weeks and if i dont get it started soon i dont know what im going to do.

jollygreengiant

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
The only time I have had any problem starting one of these is under the following conditions.

1)
The timing chain has broken. Remove cam cover turn engine & check for cam rotation.

2) thought to be as above, however, when the engine was turned over the cams turned. Hmmmm.

SO fitted snap-on ecu scanner, ECU dead so replaced. Still no start.
Turned out that one of the chain guide bolts had come loose, dropped down the chain guides (with out doing ANY damage), bounced along the bottom of the sump (crank assisted, apparently doing 70mph when this happened), unit it met up with number 4 web. At this point it removed (randomly) one extra finger from the CPS ring fitted to that web. This sudden event then gave the ECU 2 TDC missing fingers which was enough to confused the ECU's pin counting program and blow the ECU.

Remove engine, fit new plate, replace sump, refit JD.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

NS Dev

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
bloody hell! That's one to give the apprentice for training!! How the hell did you track that one down!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Vindi_andy

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
thanks that just confirmed my fears, my mechanic mates suspicions and someone on ford sierra owners forum.

Given the engine hasnt turned over since the last time it was running I think i may need a new CPS

Bugger more expense i didnt need

t.j.

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
bloody hell! That's one to give the apprentice for training!! How the hell did you track that one down!

I would go for a loose cable, or fuse, as he worked on the electrics.....

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

aerobrick

posted on 2/4/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Since you have played with the wiring check to CPS wire and maybe the CPS itself these are prone to failing also from memory mines a Twinky Carb version but similar if you are using the Ford ECU check the connectors to the Ignition amplifier as well.

Just A thought are you still using the Origional Ht Leads and Cap if so check them and the rotor arm since these are very close to the thermostat housing they may be wet...

[Edited on 2/4/09 by aerobrick]

Vindi_andy

posted on 3/4/09 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Ignition Amp has a cover fitted over it and hasnt been disturbed during the tidying session. All the tidying was done under the fusebox.

Will double check what I have done tonight was getting cold and dark last night and I was getting more and more frustrated and angry so not concentrating properly.

ETA

Was looking for the biggest "Damn-it tool" last night fortunately I didnt find one otherwise I could have damaged something I shouldnt have.

[Edited on 3/4/09 by Vindi_andy]

Vindi_andy

posted on 4/4/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Quick update and still looking for any advice.

Injectors have voltage so I now font think its the CPS. There is power at the coil. Strange symptom tacho registers 250 rpm for the first second or so of cranking then drops to 0.

No spark at the plugs. I suspect its the ignition amplifier but any other suggestions appreciated.

Vindi_andy

posted on 13/4/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
ok quick update. The car had its own easter moment and has risen from the dead.

Turns out it was the live feed to the ignition amplifier that had pulled out of the bullet connector when the wife had been tidying it up

rusty nuts

posted on 13/4/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vindi_andy
ok quick update. The car had its own easter moment and has risen from the dead.

Turns out it was the live feed to the ignition amplifier that had pulled out of the bullet connector when the wife had been tidying it up

That right , blame the missus. Glad you have it sorted

Vindi_andy

posted on 14/4/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Message from the Wife

Yes - my fault - did not realise I had pulled two bullets apart from I wrapped all the wires in convulated tubing. Ah Well - only trying to help

Edited to correct wife's bad spelling

[Edited on 14/4/09 by Vindi_andy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.