Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Noise meters
iiyama

posted on 16/4/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Noise meters

Anyone know anything about them?? Basically I need to know if ± 3.5dB @1KHz, 94dB is accurate enough to check the car? Failed noise at SVA and want to be certain of a pass when I take it back! Other options on the bay include meters with an accuracy of +/- 2dB @ 114dB but this is an analogue meter where as the former is digital. If the latter had a hold feature it wouldnt be too bad I guess, but it hasnt. The former is easier to read and has hold.

Hit me with your knowledge geeza's!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

dan__wright

posted on 16/4/09 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
i got a digital one on the bay with an acuracy much better than that for about £40 it was +- 1 i think
iiyama

posted on 16/4/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Both of these are half that dude, hence the accuracy.......or lack of it!!!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

v8kid

posted on 16/4/09 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a digital one from Maplin about £20 ish mebbe less and it seems OK.

I compared it to a professional one at the track and in the round it was within 3dB.

I say in the round because it was incredibly difficult to get a consistent reading due to reflections, passing traffic, standing in a diffeent position etc.

At the end of the day the absolute accuracy is not the issue it is the reduction in output you want to see.

Take 5 or 6 readings before any mods and average them,, then do the same after the mods and see the difference.

Remember to use the right weighting and scale range. These things default to the low range after a few mo and the results are rubbish.

By the way 3dB is 50% power so they are really woefully inaccurate!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 16/4/09 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
The problem always with noise meters is calibration (or lack of).
When uncalibrated are useful for relative measurements (e.g. measure with a standard exhaust, change can, re-measure, see if quieter or louder) but just because your noise meter says you're running at 95dB doesn't mean you'll pass SVA when you're measured with a properly calibrated one....

iiyama

posted on 16/4/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ive already modifiyed the SVA/MOT can. Guess I could pull out the mods and take a before and after reading. If I fail on noise its gonna cost me £40 anyway for another retest so figured I could spend up to £40 on a meter and make a decent attempt at passing. Gotta drop the noise by 2.5Dba

[Edited on 16/4/09 by iiyama]

matt_claydon

posted on 16/4/09 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
As Ben says, unless properly calibrated they are only useful for comparisons or very rough measurements.

Also, the site used makes a big difference (floor surface, nearby structures, etc) so a reading you make may not bear much relation to what is taken at the SVA.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.