Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Tank Help
Miks15

posted on 27/4/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Tank Help

Ive decided to make my own steel fuel tank instead of splashing out on an ally one.

Couple of quick questions:

Im using a GSXR 600 in tank fuel pump. Do i need to build a box type thing under the tank for it to sit in or can it be mounted flush to the bottom? (hope you understand what i mean)
If i do how deep does it need to be?

Secondly do i need to coat the inside of the tank with anything or can it be left as bare steel?

Thanks

Mikkel

bilbo

posted on 27/4/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
You'll have fun passing IVA if you make your own tank then!! Best to have a look at the IVA draft manual if you intend to proceed and wish to get road legal

What's the issue here? I've read through the IVA manual on this before, and I've just checked again. There is an issue for plastic tanks and tanks for gaseous fuel, but I can't see anything about why you can't make your own for liquid fuel, provided it is in compliance with the reasonable standards listed (e.g. it doesn't leak etc).
Maybe I'm missing something?

Edited to say, I see you checked as well
Must have been something they dropped before the final version - thankfully.

[Edited on 27/4/09 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

blakep82

posted on 27/4/09 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
metal tanks don't need any approval markings for IVA, and are deemed passable, as long as they're no leaks. so steel is no problem at all.

keep an eye on ebay though, i've seen some nice ally ones turn up cheap from time to time

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nick205

posted on 27/4/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
No idea on the pump Q, but there's no need to coat the inside of the tank - tin top makers certainly don't spend time and effort (money) doing it. I'd paint the outside obviously - or you could have the whole thing galvanised I suppose.
Miks15

posted on 27/4/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
You scared me there at first paul!

Nick: Thanks thats one less thing then, i assume rust isnt a problem then?

Anyone else know anything about the box around the pump? ( i assume if it needs one its only to keep petrol around the pump at all times?

Miks15

posted on 27/4/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh right, So it doesnt really need to be too deep either then? Just to have a small pool of fuel constantly around the pump.

Should be ok then, Thanks Paul

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.