Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Caravan -> Trailer
Mark G

posted on 27/4/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Caravan -> Trailer

I know its been discussed on here many times before and I have done a search but I can't find the basic info that I need.

I've just bought a lovely caravan for the pricely sum of £40.

Lovely isn't she...

I'm going to do the obvious and turn it into a trailer. I've heard that the ali of the sides and lid of the van are ali and can be valuable as scrap. how do I get these off without wrecking them?

Also where should I be looking to buy any metal from which I may need to reinforce the chassis and make trailer ramps from? Does anyone know of anywhere in the Bristol (clevedon) area?

Any other hints and tips are greatly appreciated as this is my first caravan and I'm going to enjoy tearing it to pieces!

many thanks,
Mark

Confused but excited.

posted on 27/4/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ "I've heard that the ali of the sides and lid of the van are ali and can be valuable as scrap."

Blasphemy! Burn him! Burn him!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Mark G

posted on 27/4/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see that I'm gonna be able to use any of it. The pic is showing the good side of the van.

blakep82

posted on 27/4/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
i think as 'scrap' they're not too worried about condition. could be all shredded into strips, and crunched up.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mark G

posted on 27/4/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
sweet, that means a chain saw, sledge hammer and brute force aren't ruled out then.

I'm going to enjoy this!

dinosaurjuice

posted on 27/4/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
as much fun as chainsaws and hammers are: a low bridge is a much quicker, more elegant solution.

blakep82

posted on 27/4/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
i shouldn't think so, its all going to get melted down before its recycled isn't it?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Madinventions

posted on 27/4/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I took my caravan apart with a small hand axe! Just work your way along the glue lines chopping away merrily until you've got a pile of ali sheet lying there. I took all the internal wood and windows out first which made the whole thing a bit flimsy and dangerous, but it was a whole load of fun and netted me £54 in scrap value.
Great fun...

Danozeman

posted on 27/4/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Jus rip it all apart with a hammer then strap the ali to the chassis and use that to tow it to the scrappies.

trailer
trailer

This was once a caravan, I used 40x40x4mm angle to make the beds welded on to the original chassis.

i know some people weld in some extra channels to beef it up but i didnt see it necessary as its not carrying that much weight. Although i have had just over a tonne on there. Tows perfect.
the only thing i would change is the bed is highish so the weight is high but its not a problem when towing just needs longer ramps. So try and get you bed as low as you can which is ahrd with the axles etc.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Mark G

posted on 27/4/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a thought, what about strenghening the rear panel. Hinging it and emptying the inside to make it into a shuttle.

would obviously need to strengthen the chassis anyway...

GregSL75

posted on 27/4/09 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Quickest way:

Is now:

I once stayed by Bala Lake in that caravan, now I tow it behind my camper...

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

philw

posted on 28/4/09 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G

Also where should I be looking to buy any metal from which I may need to reinforce the chassis and make trailer ramps from? Does anyone know of anywhere in the Bristol (clevedon) area?

Mark

I've always found these helpful

Fred R Powell & Son Ltd.
Avonside Industrial Park
Avonside Road
Bristol
BS2 0TS (Road Map)
Avon

Tel: 0117 9717971
Fax: 0117 971986

Must try harder

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.