Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking to build
racing57

posted on 30/4/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Looking to build

i am looking to possibly build a car this year... i was going to build one to race a couple of years ago, was going to sell my race XR2 and race a locost instead, sold the XR2, but things didnt quite turn out as planned..... anyway, i want to build one for possible road use, and defo track days...

i am thinking of a 2ltr zetec... what donor car would i need for all the running gear etc ?? i have the mcsorley drawings etc for the chassis.. and the original Ron Champion Book...

would a type 9 sierra gear box be ok ? what about prop and rear axle ?? any advice would be much appreciated..

Thanks
Lee

[Edited on 30/4/09 by racing57]

adithorp

posted on 30/4/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra will supply all the donor parts you need apart from the engine...untill you get lead astray by shinney bits!

If you don't have other plans I'd get to Stoneliegh show this weekend. It's the biggest show of the year and there'll be hundreds of cars to nosey at for ideas.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

blakep82

posted on 30/4/09 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, xr2 racing? not racing at knockhill were you?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

racing57

posted on 30/4/09 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
i know all about shiney bit after having the Fiesta.... the amount of stuff i bought for that, which i didnt really need....

so a sierra will get me everything i need... is that a different axle to the ron champion book... ?

racing57

posted on 30/4/09 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
hmm, xr2 racing? not racing at knockhill were you?

no i was racing in the 750mc stock hatch.... sold the car last year....

blakep82

posted on 30/4/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
ah, i didn't know of anywhere else where they raced xr2.

sierra is a different axle to the ron champion book. sierra is IRS, but should give you everything you need except the zetec engine (unless you're happy with a pinto engine)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

racing57

posted on 30/4/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
ah, i didn't know of anywhere else where they raced xr2.

sierra is a different axle to the ron champion book. sierra is IRS, but should give you everything you need except the zetec engine (unless you're happy with a pinto engine)

i think i will defo go zetec.. so that will bolt straight to the sierra gearbox... will i be best getting the new book, does that explain the different axle ??

Cheers

Miks15

posted on 30/4/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the haynes roadster book by Chris Gibbs has got plans for the sierra rear end
racing57

posted on 30/4/09 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
Yes, the haynes roadster book by Chris Gibbs has got plans for the sierra rear end

cool, well i have just ordered all the steel for the chassis and am watching a couple of sierra's on ebay....

seen a couple of zetec's but is there much difference between the 2.0l and the 1.8l ??

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.