Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: volvo breather? how to fix it.
02GF74

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
volvo breather? how to fix it.

been poking round the engine bay - 850 T5 - and noticed that there is a pipe that is split - as shown by screwdriver in the photo.

It is to the left of the crank position sensor but due to the support strut being in the way, I cannot work out how to remove/replace it.

There is oil in the pipe but none around the engine so I guess it is a breather?

Assuming it is a big job to remove the support, how can I fit this?

I am thinking of putting a sleeve e.g. small hose and then glueing it in place or using insulation tape.

Any other ideas? Rescued attachment DSC04676.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC04676.JPG

DarrenW

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
i assume the black bit that the screwdriver is poking into is still partially attached to the black elbow? As you have said i think id be looking for a short length of hose, ID of which is close to OD of the hose on engine, to repair it. No harm in a bit of PU sealant or RTV silicon to seal it up.

02GF74

posted on 21/5/09 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
sorted now.

I got the small dentists mirror to take a look and could see a metal tube onto whcih the pipe is pushed on, held with a metal clip.

Must have took about 1/2 hour removing the metal clip!!!

Going to garage that does volvos this morning, they had a T5 in the back which did not have this pipe. It turns out to be a fittment to early engines to prevent oil furring up - in effect a breather. There should be a tube running under the spark plug cover.

Anyways, the tube is much like a distributor vacuum pipe in that is has two right angled fittings that go onto a tube.

The garage had a spare end, £ 3 they charged me eeek!!! So should get it fitted tonight. Rescued attachment DSC04682.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC04682.JPG

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.