Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone guess the answer to this email to DVLA Headquarters
AdrianH

posted on 18/6/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone guess the answer to this email to DVLA Headquarters

Could you please help clear up an uncertainty for me. Long explanation sorry!

I am building a kit car from scratch that will have to pass the new IVA test. In the IVA manual the rules state it must have a manufacturers plate with the manufacturers name and a vehicle identity number.

That both the name and VIN can only consist of capital letters and numerals and that the VIN must consist of 17 characters.

For the name I can use my own name, so no issue with that, but there are no rules laid out for the VIN number other then the above use of capital letters ,numerals and 17 characters long.

A fellow builder used a mixture of his initials, date of birth, completion date, etc. to make up a unique VIN number. This passed the VOSA paperwork, the vehicle passed SVA/IVA Inspection, had a MAC form issued etc.

At the next stage of DVLA Inspection to obtain registration documents, where the pass forms are checked against the VIN number. The VIN was rejected as it did not conform to a standard numbering scheme for cars manufactured in the UK! The builder then had to change the VIN and chassis number and have the VOSA forms re-issued with the new number before once again applying to the local DVLA office for registration documents.

So please, what are the rules on creating ones own VIN number, as other builders are telling me the only rules are the number must be unique but can be made up of any letters/numbers. I would hate to get so far down the line to be set back on this at a local office?

My build is nearing completion and need to add the VIN number soon.

Many thanks

Adrian

Just checked something with CS and I got the bit wrong about VOSA redoing the forms, DVLA just issued a different number.

[Edited on 18-6-09 by AdrianH]

[Edited on 18-6-09 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

mad4x4

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
you should be able to apply to DVLA to get them to issue a VIn number
Flamez

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
submit a number for consideration?????

I made my own up and admitted it and the inspector was ok.

my build mac1motorsports

Paul (Notts)

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
The simple answer is – get the dvla to issue you with a vin. It saves a lot of potential hassle.

If you make up your own then there are certain letters , numbers that it can not contain.

I made my own up with the correct letters and numbers BUT was told by the local dvla it was not acceptable as it did not comply to European standards for cars manufactured in the European community. I challenged this as the legislation is worded “ car manufactured for Sale “ as my car was not manufactured for sale then these rules did not apply.

Swansea did not accept my challenge BUT decided they would accept my VIN as a simple way to resolve the issue ( Friday). They sent someone out on a Sunday to inspect the car and had docs ready by Monday lunch.

Paul

COREdevelopments

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
"I'm the only one here who will be giving out chassis numbers hahahaha!!!" thats the reply i had from swansea
BTW Flamez your car looks awesome. aint seen it blasting about yet though. il keep an eye out.

Rob

[Edited on 18/6/09 by COREdevelopments]

MautoK

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I wrote to the local DVLA (Exeter) proposing the VIN I had concocted. They wrote back, quoting the number and said it was acceptable.
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

Guinness

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I can't tell you what the answer will be,

but I can promise you one thing,

it'll be a different answer next time you ask.

In fact, can we have 10 people send the same email / letter in and see what the average response is?

Mike

James

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
My very first contact with DVLA was a faxed letter to local office along the lines of:

"I've built an amateur built vehicle. I want to use chassis number: XXXXXXXXXX is this ok? Please contact me and send me the relevent forms.
My chassis number was fine, the car was inspected before SVA and the car was registered and I had tax and plates the day of my SVA pass"

I know that my case worker was considered the 'expert' and other DVLA workers would contact her from around the country for how to do it. Maybe just dropped lucky!

Cheers,
JAmes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mad-butcher

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on your local office (chester)I made mine up and it was accepted. the same thing/problem also applies to registration as regards to Q plate or age related
no consistency

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
The fact you can import a car from any country with any number and structure and register means the process is in place for it to be fine.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

alistairolsen

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Id imagine it wont be able to contain zero, i, z, u, o, etc in the same way as number plates?
AdrianH

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
The response is: -...

You will need to contact the DVLA Local Office that you will be making your application to register the vehicle to regarding the specific make up of the VIN number.

So no central policy. I will be in contact with my local office tomorrow. I just want a smooth process if such exists?

Adrian

stevegough

posted on 18/6/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, Adrian - are you dealing with the preston office? If so, let me (and everone else) know the outcome as that is my local VLO.

Cheers, Steve.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

kendo

posted on 18/6/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I found on the DVLA site an explanation of how the VIN number can be constructed. For a UK car it must start with an 'S' be between 9 and 17 digits contain no 1's o's or 0's and the last six digits must be numbers.

That said I've not got mine through DVLA yet.

Answer me this though, why would a national organisation not have uniform and centralised policies and proceedures?

ReMan

posted on 18/6/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
"Answer me this though, why would a national organisation not have uniform and centralised policies and proceedures?"

Because they are a national organisation?
Because they are a bunch of half wit cocks?
Because they are goverment run?
More?

zoom

posted on 18/6/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going through this at the moment, My home made vin was accepted by vosa, by my insurance and also noted down during the built up inspection, but dvla are refusing to accept it and insisiting I change it to one they issue. Tomorrow I will have the vin changed and have the paperwork stamped by the garage who stamp it to prove to dvla its been changed and only then will they issue a reg.
Just ask for a vin from them when you apply with your v55/5 form and yoou can't go wrong. (maybe)
Oh its been 7 weeks for them even to reply to my application then 3 weeks to get a bui and then 2 weeks later they want the vin changed.

mycar
mybuildsite

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdrianH

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I am planning to speak with, or try to the Preston Office tomorrow.

I want the VIN number before going for the registration forms if possible as I would like to have some form of insurance on my car for the last part of the build stage, and would like to think a chassis number is better then using an engine number. It also give me chance to have plates made and the number stamped into the chassis or if permissable on a plate welded onto the chassis.

I will post in this thread how I get on if a make any headway.

Adrian

AdrianH

posted on 19/6/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
What a frustrating day it has been today, Swansea do not give emails or phone numbers for the local office, so had to discuss with someone at Swansea. Did not get put through to Preston either.

Said I had to write or visit the office to get the forms and they are only open Monday to Friday 9 to 5.

Luckily I was passing on business so used a bit of my own time to call in, explained home build and own chassis so no manufacturers VIN number. Told that they will issue a VIN number after the car has been inspected and it has to be a complete car before they inspect.

I explained about wanting insurance on a VIN number as I near completion as I could not do it on any registration number.
When asked about donor V5, yes I have.
Receipts yes I have,
Build proof, yes I have.
I came away with a V627/1 to complete and a V55/5. I am not going to complete them yet as I will be getting a call from their Kit car man on Monday as he was on holiday today.

The nice lady I dealt with was polite and tried to be as helpful as possible, could also understand my frustration I think and did say it was a long process and a bit of a catch 22 situation.

So if I understand it all.

1) Get very near end of build
2) Apply for VIN and complete V627/1 and V55/5
3) Get car inspected, this may happen at build site?
4) Provide all documentation, receipts, build pictures, donor V5 etc.
5) Get issued a VIN
6) Stick on car and pass IVA
7) Take MAC to DVLA
8) Get registration number as car has already been inspected
9) Produce Insurance certificate and get Tax disc
10 ) Walk out with big grin.

That would be nice if it went like that wouldn't it?

Adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.