Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: just some driving a kitcar Q
jpindy3

posted on 22/6/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
just some driving a kitcar Q

right when driving and cornaring hard my prop makes a tinging noise it sounds like there is something hitting it,but i have looked and its all clear around the prop,
so im a bit baffaled?????

fuel filter, i have 2 the one next to the carbs,somtimes after driving i look at it and its empty? some other times its
its full?
i have got fuel in the tank, its a bike fuel pump as i have zx9r carbs,also i have a pressure reg,thats set at 3psi.

thanks

flak monkey

posted on 22/6/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel filters rarely sit full of fuel so I wouldnt worry about that.

The prop is probably rubbing on something as the engine and gearbox will move under hard cornering. My gearbox clouts the chassis on occasion and is kind of the limiting thing which stops the prop hitting it!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

pewe

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Check that the cups on your UJs aren't rotating i.e. knackered.
I've just cured a similar noise on the front of mine , originally thinkiing it was the UJ's (turned out they were knackered but not the cause of the noise).
After taking the front wheel bearings apart a number of times I discovered that it was the alternator body kissing the aluminium side panel on right hand corners.
Have you taken a passenger (preferably one with mechanical sympathy - if you get my drift!) out to help you narrow down where the noise is coming from?
Cheers, Pewe
PS what about prop or driveshaft hitting a zip-tie or similar?

[Edited on 22/6/09 by pewe]

jpindy3

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
ahha

i just thort when my tank is full the pressure keeps fuel in the filter as the fuel is used and the leval reachs the filter hight or below when the engine is off the filter is empty,

god i suprise myself,there is somthing there somwhere somtimes

Steve G

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Bike fuel pumps dont need a regulator - they self regulate themselves. All the ones commonly used do anyway so not aware of any that dont. So long as you get fuel through when you then as said i wouldnt worry too much.

Are you sure its the prop thats hitting?? May be worth having a good look at your gearbox and maybe even engine mounts to see if they are stiff enough. 160kg with sideways force on it will certainly move a soft rubber mount a fair way

jpindy3

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Check that the cups on your UJs aren't rotating i.e. knackered.
I've just cured a similar noise on the front of mine , originally thinkiing it was the UJ's (turned out they were knackered but not the cause of the noise).
After taking the front wheel bearings apart a number of times I discovered that it was the alternator body kissing the aluminium side panel on right hand corners.
Have you taken a passenger (preferably one with mechanical sympathy - if you get my drift!) out to help you narrow down where the noise is coming from?
Cheers, Pewe
PS what about prop or driveshaft hitting a zip-tie or similar?

[Edited on 22/6/09 by pewe]

thats it alternater,all the other stuff new,and the alt is clse to a rail

thanks

matty_64

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
ill second the check your uj comment.i had the tinkle tinkle noise,found a bit of play and this was why.new joint is only a tenner and fairly easy to fit Rescued attachment DSC03000.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC03000.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
This is what i made to stop the engine moving side ways
engine mounting
engine mounting

Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.