Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much to respray a car door?
flak monkey

posted on 10/7/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
How much to respray a car door?

The leon I am going to look at sunday looks spot on other than a smallish (2.5" square) patch of laquer which is peeling on the front edge of the drivers door.

Its been there for a good couple of years (on a 2005 car too!) and hasnt got any bigger (car is rather pampered) and I would really want to get it sorted if I decided to go for the car.

Just need an idea on the cost of putting it right really....any ideas?

Colour is flat yellow if that makes ay difference.

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

speedyxjs

posted on 10/7/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
We had the back door of a transit connect done for less than £300

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Peteff

posted on 10/7/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Our local shop sells pIss cans of lacquer for about £1.80 I've seen a few yellow Seat cars with lacquer peeling problems, one was almost the entire bonnet and looked to be caused by sunlight exposure. If it's a minor problem you could get a Chips Away type repair man to look at it and you might get a reasonable quote.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Steve Hignett

posted on 10/7/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on whether you intend to any of it yourself ( I can give you enough hints/tips to enable you to do it with enough confidence).

I reckon you could do it for less than £100 and have it looking top notch...

austin man

posted on 10/7/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
if the car has a full service history there is a good chance that this can be done on warranty. I bough an 01 Golf GTI neary four years ago and notice a blemish on the door, contacted my local VW dealer who asked me to bring it in they assessed it and put me a new door on for free due to the service history being full VW with none missed bargain.

a staff member of mine has had several paned retouched following some idiot with a key this cost £250 for 3 door tops and repairs to both bumpers from a man in a van who repairs scratches and dings. Did it outside work too.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

MonkeyBoyJnr

posted on 10/7/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I had 2 doors delocked and welded up, then both sprayed for £100. Top job too as it was a Metallic Red (Nightfire Red if my memory serves me correct).
rayward

posted on 10/7/09 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
proper job........£200 - £300

hth

Ray

omega0684

posted on 11/7/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
mate of mine has just had his front & rear bumpers done and skirting kit and it cost him £180
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 11/7/09 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
If you have peeing lacquer it is because it has been painted before, applying the lacquer to unkeyed paintwork or leaving to long after applying the basecoat.

I think your colour is LD1D (check the paper data sheet stuck to your boot floor. If it is you may have problems as the colour has very low opacity and will need blending out.

If you are very lucky you may be able to blow ALL the lacquer off using and airline and then just relacquer - I have never been that lucky.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

flak monkey

posted on 11/7/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark. The history of the vehicle is clean so I dont think its had any spraying done before.

Peeling laquer seems to be a common thing on Ovni Yellow Seats for some reason. They also seem prone to fading if not kept polished (thankfully this one has been cared for pretty well!)

I'll see how bad it is tomorrow (only seen pics at the moment) and take the cost of getting it fixed into consideration.

Cheers chaps

David

Sera

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/7/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
A rough guide would be £200 for the panel plus £100 for each blended panel plus any mould which need to be removed (coded ones can stay on, black will need replacing at about £20 each)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

flak monkey

posted on 11/7/09 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks that gives me a good idea. All the body moudlings are body colour I think.

Cheers,
David

Sera

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.