Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone ever exported their car?
DarrenW

posted on 20/7/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone ever exported their car?

Just had an enquiry from a chap from Holland for my Mac#1. Ive no reason to suspect its a bogus enquiry but am well aware of the issues regarding payment etc from people abroad. Just out of curiosity really - has anyone ever successfully sold their car to a person from Europe and exported it? This guy seems to be suggesting he will handle the actual export etc, will just need the V5 (im guesing) marked up as exported. I thought it was just a case of someone coming over, paying for it as normal UK sale then driving it back and re-registering it themselves. Am i right in thinking if someone pays for the car and takes it away it is up to them what they do with it or could there be come backs on me?

Im sceptical that the sale would go ahead so just curious about the process.

MK9R

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sold my car to a dutch guy, met him at dover, he paid in cash (sterling), i signed the V5, he signed the section for permanent export, he had the V5 except for the export part. As the seller all you have to do is send it off to the dvla with a letter explaining thats its been permanently exported. Thats it all done. I was sceptical all the way up until i had the cash in my hands and watched him drive away. I had an email form the guy a few weeks ago saying it was all registered and MOT'd and he was driving it. All in all it was a great sale for both partys.

But saying all that my mate tried the same thing a few weeks later and the guy never showed up, even though he text him saying he was on the way to the airport, what a c*ck!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
That is how i thought it would work. Thanks for the reply. Sounds quite simple.

I also guess that ref paying for the car then either cash in hand or cleared funds in bank would be safe. Id hate for someone to take the car then get the money back some how, but then same rules apply for normal sale within UK. What would happen if someone paid for it using a credit card by transferring money into my account? Can they reclaim the money off the card and leave me out of pocket?

MK9R

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Payment wise it just the same as selling over here really i suppose, the only difference is you don't keep hold of the V5 so have a little less to go on if it is a scam. The guy i sold to said 2 or 3 of his mates have bought UK cars as they are so cheap because of the euro. Also my mate who was trying to sell his elise had a lot of foreign interest.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
So the only real difference in the sale process is that the new owner will need to take sections 1 - 8 of the V5 with them so they can hand into their registration body in their own country when re-registering the car? Whereas in UK the new keeper only gets section 10 and the seller sends sections 1 - 8 off to DVLA. Either way the seller doesnt keep the log book so i guess its not much different.

Ill contact the buyer and see what they are thinking about doing. Its probs a long shot but thanks anyway for the info.

I didnt think about the Euro conversion being favourable for overseas buyers. This is good for my negotiation on the price should they make an offer.

MK9R

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
So the only real difference in the sale process is that the new owner will need to take sections 1 - 8 of the V5 with them so they can hand into their registration body in their own country when re-registering the car? Whereas in UK the new keeper only gets section 10 and the seller sends sections 1 - 8 off to DVLA. .

correct!

Just makesure you agree price in sterling and get the cash in sterling! Or if being paid via paypal or BACS, be aware of the terrible charges, and if being paid this way makesure the transaction is in sterling direct from the buyer!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

DarrenW

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt think about the charges. Thanks for the heads up. I wouldnt take a paypal payment - heard to many horror stories about people filing complaints and getting their money back. Im not well up on BACS transfers but seem to think that once the funds are cleared into my bank then they cant be reversed without my authorisation.

Does anyone know what the BACS charge would be for me if i accepted a payment from abroad (eg from someones Euro account). I kind of assumed that the buyer would pay the charge for their bank to convert the funds into sterling and wire across, i didnt realise there would be a charge to accept the payment or is that only in the case where the payment is in Euro's and my bank converts it?

Thanks again,
Darren.

Guinness

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I sold the Landie to a crazy Dutch dude last November.

Lots of phone calls and emails first, then a phone call, he's landed in Glasgow, on a Sunday afternoon. He gets the train down to Newcastle. Arrives at about 6pm on a Sunday night, looks over the truck, pays in Euro's (there was no-where open to exchange them). I tested the notes with a UV pen borrowed from SWIMBO's work. Gave him the V5 and ran away. He was booked on the 7.00am ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam and had booked into a B&B!

A few days later I wrote a letter to the DVLA saying I'd sold it to this guy, gave them his name / address and said that due to the language barrier (Geordie / Dutch) that there had been a cock up with the V5 and he'd gone away with both bits.

Got a letter from the DVLA a few weeks later saying "thanks for notifying us that you are no longer the registered keeper"

It can go well.

Mike

MK9R

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Does anyone know what the BACS charge would be for me if i accepted a payment from abroad (eg from someones Euro account). I kind of assumed that the buyer would pay the charge for their bank to convert the funds into sterling and wire across, i didnt realise there would be a charge to accept the payment or is that only in the case where the payment is in Euro's and my bank converts it?

Thanks again,
Darren.

I only pay about £8 for a £6000 transaction when my invoices get paid by the company i contract to (who are dutch), but i did stipulate they paid in £ not euros, so not sure what charges they are hit with their end. I have been paid by paypal once in euros and they stung me with a terrible exchange rate and charges which for £450 payment cost me £90!!!!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

DarrenW

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Mike. Maybe not such a mad idea after all!

Ive emailed him back so ill soon see if he is serious or not.

I had 2 guys from Washington come to view the car at the weekend. In the end they bought a Westfield megablade. We might see them at the next Church mouse meet. Top blokes and keen on track days so should be good members of ne7ers.

Guinness

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for that Mike. Maybe not such a mad idea after all!

Ive emailed him back so ill soon see if he is serious or not.

I had 2 guys from Washington come to view the car at the weekend. In the end they bought a Westfield megablade. We might see them at the next Church mouse meet. Top blokes and keen on track days so should be good members of ne7ers.

Canny!

Mike

Peteff

posted on 20/7/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Is it Bas ?

He had my car, sent someone with a trailer to take it to Immingham and paid by international bank transfer no problem and no charges my end. Sound chap.

[Edited on 20/7/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 20/7/09 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
No its not Bas. He has just sent me a U2U to explain how simple it is. Bank transfer in pounds sounds like a good way to do it.

trextr7monkey

posted on 20/7/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sent a car to Ireland once hassle free, had an English guy living in France wanting to buy a jeep, he sent a deposit but then pulled out saying hecouldn't get it registered as it wasn't a Q plate. Now we have nother english person living in France on the case and they reckon they can get it registered. Time will tell
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

02GF74

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Bank transfer in pounds sounds like a good way to do it.

if it were me, and I trust noone, I would go to the bank and discuss options and in particular how to guard against it going tits up.

Seller brings bag of cash and depsoits to your bank account would be fool proof but there may be other methods.

Better to be careful as it is quiite a few quid at stake.

Incidnetally, why would the UV pen work on Euros? Does it work on all bank notes and what exactly does it show/detect? (time for a goolge perhaps....).

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.