Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Focus ST engine
Black Eagle

posted on 30/7/09 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
Focus ST engine

Hey,
I'm interested in putting the Ford Focus ST 2.5L Turbo engine in a Clubbie and was wondering whether a) it would fit, b) it can be converted to RWD and c) what gearbox would be suitable to use?
Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Eddy Wells

t16turbotone

posted on 30/7/09 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
As far as i know, the engine used in a ST is a volvo 5 cylinder T5 job, the only rwd gearbox that i can think of is the box from a v6 volvo 960
matt_claydon

posted on 30/7/09 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Do a search on here for "T5" as I and others have covered this a few times with respect to the Volvo T5 engine which is the same.

The ST engine is equivalent to the more modern T5 engine with VVT, whereas most people use the old one with sixed cams as the management is simpler.

Also spend some time on the TurboBricks forum as lots of people fit these modern engines into old RWD Volvos and so the RWD issues etc are well covered.

The engines are known as 'whiteblock' which is a good term to use when searching the volvo forums. There is a long thread on TB called "Whiteblock in a 240" that covers a lot of ground.

adithorp

posted on 30/7/09 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't someone on here do an Focus ST in a seven? I seem to remember seeing pictures.

I think the ST started life as a T5 but then Ford did some work on it; Different cams, induction, turbo and exhaust, etc?

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

omega0684

posted on 30/7/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
these engines seem a tad on the expensive side, just had a gander threw ebay and people want £500-£1000 for engines that have done well over 100K!

[Edited on 30/7/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 30/7/09 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
looking in the wrong place then !!.

you can get whole cars for that price !

if your intending on putting a 5 or 6 cylinder into RWD without the volvo gearbox (the ratios arent ideal) youll need the automatic bellhousing of a 960 too .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Vindi_andy

posted on 30/7/09 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at putting an ST170 in mine

4I engine and will mate to a type 9 not sure how easy to mate it to my existing MT75 but got a spare so we will see.

Just need to get the engine now

Black Eagle

posted on 30/7/09 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hey, thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. For the gearbox are most gearboxes usable if an adapter plate is used.. i'd assume they would be. As I'm in Australia I'm planning on using the Focus XR5 Turbo (the ST with different letters i think) so would the Holden/Ford Type 5 gearbox or the MX-5 gearbox be usable? There aren't a great deal of M90 gearboxes available down here so an alternative is needed... unless i import it...
Cheers
Eddy

Volvorsport

posted on 30/7/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
t5 box with 2.95 1st , as used in cossies mustangs , tvr etc .

there are adapter plates available from sweden too , klracing .se

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.