Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How far will I get in a week?
MikeR

posted on 24/8/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
How far will I get in a week?

After building the car for 9 years i've taken a week off to get as much done as possible......

How far will i get in a week???

(bear in mind i've already lost the last w/e to go to a football match / see parents / brother / celebrate birthday & agreed to go to notting hill carnival + local national trust house next weekend to keep g/f happy / me sane)

plan is to ....
strip the chassis,
check i've missed no welds,
finish any little bits of welding (radiator mounts, fuel tank mounts, seat belts etc)
rebuild the car with the 'final' engine, box, diff etc,
add fluids,
add brake lines, fuel lines,
make fuel tank
order drive shafts
weld in roll bar
make / weld in front roll bar mounting points just in case i ever fit a cage
order missing bits
100 other jobs.

didn't take a picture before I started but so far i've ....
made two waterproof shelters to store stuff,
messed up making a seat (ran out of foam),
cleared lots of rubbish off the car,
had a chat with the neighbour who tried not to laugh that i was on year 9!!!!

Bets on how far i get please and photos / updates will occur as i get miffed with something or come in to eat (having lunch now).

irvined

posted on 24/8/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go as far as to say, if you actually get into the garage, you'll make more progress than you've made all year.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

RK

posted on 24/8/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, the neighbours come over just when you haven't got anything for them to do except slow you down. I appreciate the interest, but the weekends are short!!!

Can you get a knowledgable person to come and help make some real progress? Surely there are ways of paying them without writing a big cheque: beer, help on their house renovations etc.

You can only do so much on your own. I have never taken a full week off to do the car, so it's always one day here and there and a few nights a week. But with someone who knows what they're doing along, a few hours replaces a few days!

[Edited on 24/8/09 by RK]

blakep82

posted on 24/8/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, with all the other stuff you need to do, it doesn't leave much time in the garage,

strip the chassis,
check i've missed no welds,
finish any little bits of welding
order drive shafts
^ you could do that in a day

rebuild the car with the 'final' engine, box, diff etc
^theres another day i'd guess

add fluids,
add brake lines, fuel lines
possibly - make fuel tank
for day 3

of of that is if you REALLY put yourself into it. not like me who has just been thinking about doing mine all day.

[Edited on 24/8/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

omega0684

posted on 24/8/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
if you have the engine and box in already i would plan your fuel and brake lines now and then fit them when the engine and box are out of the car, well at least the tunnel section as trying to rivet in a p-clip in with the gearbox and prop in please can be a right bi*ch!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 24/8/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
mike im free wednesday evening, thursday after 3pm and all day friday if you need some help.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 24/8/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Given your record so far I'd say halfway through stripping the chassis

Seriously, you should get half that lot done if you stick at it.

adrian

ps. What are you doing reading this? Get on with it!

[Edited on 24/8/09 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

maartenromijn

posted on 24/8/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Get up early to do your thing. Work at least 12 hours a day. Lock the door for unwanted visitors. Don't accept any jobs from the girl. Put your cell phone on silent mode. Then you should be able to complete the list.

If I were you, make a list of all the welds to be made, and do them all at one go. Then you do not have to rotate the chassis so often, thus saving time.

PS: order driveshafts in the boss' time!

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

Dangle_kt

posted on 24/8/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Write a detailed action list, with what you need to do not a vaugue title, that waythwre will be less head scratching and you wil work in a sensible order. With no list I can waste 50% of my time thinking about what to do.

Make sure you have all the bits and prices in that you need too.

blakep82

posted on 24/8/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
^ he's right. it definitely helps

heres mine
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/pickup jobs.JPG

its help put things into perspective

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Irony

posted on 24/8/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Fighting boredom

I have a terribly short attention span. Almost invisible for that matter. For example I stopped writing an email to a very important client to write this email. I then got bored of this and finished that off. I just have no focus (or so the missus claims)

This is a problem that I constantly struggle with. When doing boring tasks that are routine I have solved the problem. That solution is AUDIO BOOKS. When I am clearing the garden/at the gym/stripping a chassis or as I did recently build a shed, I listen to a damn good audio book. I have managed 12 hour days with only stopping for food and toilet without being distracted onto other jobs before. It really helps me and if the book is good enough I actually WANT to go out and paint the back fence etc.

Just my thoughts on the subject

mookaloid

posted on 24/8/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've found that having a mate who preferably is building/has built/wants build to come round and work with me helps a great deal.

you push each other along and decisions get made quicker.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

alistairolsen

posted on 24/8/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
As said, a decen list helps, break it down a long way for instance instead of "paint wing" put:

Remove wing
rub down wing
prime wing
gloss
wing
flat
polish
refit

Makes for a longer list, but you check more items off in a day, instead of doing half an item on two things.

I also work better with someone else to bounce ideas off and some craic. This doesnt happen ofted due to location but its a godsend when it does

My Build Thread

maartenromijn

posted on 24/8/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

I double that. When doing everthing by yourself, you need to think it over, and again. Post something on here to let us think some more, etc. With the 2 of you decisions are made easier.

PS: When writing this I thought maybe you should get rid of your computer in this week too!

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

Brooky

posted on 24/8/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mike, I am back on the building scene as of sat.
I can come round and give you a hand as well if you want.
Brooky.

blakep82

posted on 24/8/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
mike, fuel tank for sale could be one job off your list

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=120171

clairetoo

posted on 24/8/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I've found that having a mate who preferably is building/has built/wants build to come round and work with me helps a great deal.

I agree totally with that - and if you can write a comprehensive `to do` list on the wall , it saves thinking time

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

MikeR

posted on 24/8/09 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've written a couple of todo lists (all in the bosses time) had a cunning plan to review them whilst waiting for the seat to 'form' around me. except i forgot them and ended up sat there thinking "bugger"

In the house now for a drink and a curse after lending out my trolley jack, getting it back and now finding its semi bust! Getting pee'd off with lending stuff out and it not coming back / coming back bust / missing bits.

anyway, car almost stripped just got to get rear drive shafts out and front suspension off - thats the next 'lump' of work and hopefully it will be around the time the g/f turns up with dinner. (i am being hopeful, i know i've got to go round to hers).

If i am lucky by the end of today the car will be in the air and ready for tomorrows 'final' welding session. Tonight i'll be ordering some stuff from big red / brakes int that i should have ordered last week.

Tomorrow will also involve planning ...... at some point. Definitely agree with the list thing (hence the lists made during meetings).

Was intending fitting lines when car is in the air - already added strips that are pre drilled for the lines to clip into so should be easy (ish).

Fuel tank - got my own design to fit my caterham inspired rear end with integrated swirl pot feed.

Some photos will be loaded later. Garden has bits in it, drive has bits under temporary covers, kitchen has bits in, dog bowl is currently a spanner holder its great living on your own at times

Offers of help may be 'accepted'. If peeps want to come round and generally disturb me you're more than welcome but you may end up holding something and i will keep faffing with the car.

Brooky - good to see you're still with us

blakep82

posted on 25/8/09 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
where's these photos then?!

MikeR

posted on 25/8/09 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
ok, woke up early, didn't have an alarm, fell back to sleep. Bit of a disaster last night, wasted a couple of hours making pivots to rotate the chassis - it won't work as simply as i wanted so today i'll just man handle it onto its side etc. Not as easy but far quicker. Boy the chassis isn't light either !

(then again i'd fogotten how heavy the de-dion or front wheels set ups are).

Just about to head out but to keep blake happy ....

pics are all here
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=MikeR&folder=1Week

MikeR

posted on 25/8/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
ok, bored now. Sick of lifting, moving, putting down, welding, lifting, moving etc

head is starting to hurt as well from the welding fumes - haven't got much left to go before i start on the final additions like seat belt mounts / side curved bits.

alistairolsen

posted on 25/8/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Have a drink and stick some music on for ten mins while the workspace clears and then get back to it or you'll procrastinate until dinner and then not go back out.

My Build Thread

MikeR

posted on 25/8/09 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
did that, also organised for g/f to cook me dinner again

(she is good, only issue is its fat club food so i'm eating healthy tasty food and losing weight!)

Just packed in for a bit as i realised i was welding next to a plastic fuel tank ....... ooops.

sebastiaan

posted on 31/8/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
The week is over, so how far did you get?
blakep82

posted on 31/8/09 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
yeah come on, i've been waiting all week for this

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.