Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a home security device
locoboy

posted on 30/8/09 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a home security device

Guys,

I had a bit of a strange occurance today.

Sat on my ass doing nowt at home and i hear the gate squeek open and the dog barks so i expect someone at the door.

Sure engough the door knocks and the dog goes bazerk as normal.

I open the door to see a bloke stood there in normal looking clothes.

He asked me if i had a pair of wire snips he could borrow and offered to leave his phone as a deposit.........

I asked why he needed thema dn he said he was walking his dog and the dog did a runner and has got tangled in some wire and he wanted to cut the wire from the dog.

Being a dog lover i thought fair enough and got him a pair of cutters, he offered again to leave his phone but i said no its ok, he said he would be back in 5 minutes.

4 hours later he is not back with my snips..............

Combined with the fact that he left in a car all seemed a bit odd - dont you think?

Now the snips i aint bothered about, its the fact that on reflection his story seemed a bit thin.

I am now concerned that over the next few days/weeks he could appear on my drive in the daytime when we are out with a 'legitimate' reason for being there if he is 'interupted'

I have a vague recolection of what he looked like but he just seemed genuine enough and given the offer to leave his phone i assumed it was all kosher.

Now as you can see from the photos below i have a black spikey gate/fence at the front of the house, (This is a big slidey gate, and a smaller padestrian gate) which is the only real access point to the property.

Description
Description

I want to be able to lock those gates without a big ugly padlock/chain going on, it needs to be easy to open and quickly as you block the road when you pull up to reverse the car in so i dont want to be faffing about unlocking it and stopping the traffic.

Ideally it would be remote too but i guess i could live with a key code or something similar

Does anyone have any experience of magnetic locks?

I have another picture of where the gates shut onto.

Description
Description

There are some more shots of the general lay out of the house and the garage and how the gates work to give you some info.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

ATB
Locoboy

Guinness

posted on 30/8/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Very weird!

TBH I don't think locking the gates is going to make too much difference. It looks pretty easy to pop over the section of fence next to the house, where there is a dwarf wall for a foot hold.

I'd use a cheap webcam and the "TimerShot" programme or similar CCTV software and put a camera up in the window above the front door.

Hope you don't need them though!

Mike

thunderace

posted on 30/8/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
did you see what coulour his car was make modle ect take a note of it and keep an eye out for it note the reg and any stickers ect .
if hes planing anything it will be soon the next 7 days or so and he will be watching for your car to be gone,when you go to work

CGILL

posted on 30/8/09 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
This is my trade....

But automating the gate would involve a track on the bottom rung of the gate and a motor that would be at the corner of your garage which would probably be a squeeze to fit, they aren't cheap.

However in the locost spirit, you could set up a bungee cord that pulls the gate open. From a security wholesaler, you can get a 12V power supply and backup battery, a single channel remote and receiver which would be inside the garage. Fit an angle bracket on the gate to hold an armature and a bracket off the side of the garage to mount a magclamp on (Not from the UK, but for an idea - http://www.zonetechnology.co.nz/shop/example1/Locks/-+Electromagnetic/Lockwood+Mini+Magnetic+Lock.html).

The relay of the remote reciever would open circuit power to the mag and the bungee would pull the gate open. You would have to pull the gate secure again by hand and the mag would hold the gate closed.
I will add a crude drawing to my photos.

Guinness

posted on 30/8/09 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
He's borrowed your cable snips so he can cut your phoneline and the power supply to the magnetic lock that you are about to fit.

Mike

l0rd

posted on 30/8/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Personally i would

1) Put bars on the Garage windows
2) Put an infrared camera overlooking the entrance
3) Put an infrared light- conected to a siren inside the garage,with a power switch hiden inside the house that you would have to disable before you go to the garage.
4) some sort of magnetic lock as suggested

blakep82

posted on 30/8/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
mention it to the police anyway. if he's just doing some crime tonight, your fingerprints are all over the snips

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

55ant

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
you could leave a massive green lump of metal in the way of the garage? oh wait
graememk

posted on 30/8/09 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
while you were getting snip swhat could he be eyeing up to nick ? what was in view?
locoboy

posted on 31/8/09 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies and the locost bungee gate solution!

The guy did not come into or near my garage and there is nothing of value to see from the front door area so he didnt see anything worth while.

My concern is that he came into the property and knocked on the door, what was he planning if no one answered?

If we answer he then has his snips excuse ready, if we did not answer was he going to be taking a look around???

I appreciate that locking the gates will not stop anybody getting in but it will look a damn sight more out of sorts to see people getting over the gate/fence and similarly handing tools / equipment over the fence/gate rather than just casually walking through the open gate dont you think.

I can report aht nothing has been taken from the garage/garden last night and i didnt sleep particularly well!

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.