Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: getting pistons back into callipers
JoelP

posted on 4/9/09 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
getting pistons back into callipers

any techniques, or just force it? Pad fell out so the pistons are well out. Googling now but thought id post here as well in case someone knows faster than google!

Cheers.

blakep82

posted on 4/9/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
sierra calipers? you need to wind the piston back in

grinder spanner thing fits i hear

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr G

posted on 4/9/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
same question only asked a little while ago! search really is your friend! you need to put pressure on them when winding them in btw. I'm also assuming its rears as you should'nt have any trouble with the fronts.
cheers

G

[Edited on 4/9/09 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

turbodisplay

posted on 4/9/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
G clamp worked wonders on my celica caliper
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 4/9/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
A wind back tool is a good investment. If you start using mole grips etc you can rip the rubber thiny leading to grip and rubbish getting into the brake cylinder leading to scoring.
Johneturbo

posted on 4/9/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
angry grinder spanner does the job!
Liam

posted on 4/9/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
As above if they're rears. If you can't return front caliper pistons by hand your brakes aren't in tip-top condition. You're somewhere along the path towards siezed pistons or flexi lines breaking down and closing up, and the resulting binding brakes.

EDIT: I was assuming the locost/toy car with no ABS

[Edited on 5/9/09 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mediabloke

posted on 4/9/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
If it's just a pads-width, you could try taking the reservoir cap off and prising it back with a block of wood. Made a similar mistake on SWIMBO's old Fiesta a good few years ago - same calipers IIRC - and they went back in no problem. Whilst it's out, I might be tempted to push the rubbers back & clean the top edge where it tends to bind when the pads are new.

If piston & caliper have parted company, you'll need to pop it in some brake fluid to get it back in...

HTH - Francis

JoelP

posted on 4/9/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
good guesses, but its vivaro fronts! You should know im not building at the min

The pad went tumbling down the road, and the piston got a touch scored on the disc. Its out far enough that it wobbles. Im going to loosen off the bleed nipple due to the ABS, and have a go with the G clamp. I managed on the sprinter with a quick clamp but that wasnt powerful enough for this.

If they have popped out past the seals, do i just need to lubricate it with some brake fluid?

Cheers!

rusty nuts

posted on 4/9/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
As you say loosen the bleed nipple , then press the piston back into the bore but it needs to go back in squarely . If it doesn't go back in then you may have the piston jamming on the seal in which case clamp the brake hose , remove the piston and make sure the seal is fitted correctly in it's groove , lubricate piston and gently insert so it passes the seal. It would make sense to replace the caliper seals if you can get a repair kit. If all else fails then check out the cost of a recon caliper.
JoelP

posted on 4/9/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
cheers bud!

JoelP

posted on 4/9/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
nice the g clamp did the trick!

Thanks for the help!

One corner down, 3 to go

blakep82

posted on 4/9/09 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
good guesses, but its vivaro fronts! You should know im not building at the min

my mind reading must be a bit off today

glad you got them sorted

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

britishtrident

posted on 5/9/09 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
nice the g clamp did the trick!

Thanks for the help!

One corner down, 3 to go

Never force the pistons back on calipers with built in handbrake mechanism ! it knackers the self adjusters.

To get the pistons to go back you either have to take the lid of the master cylinder or (preferred method on ABS systems) clamp the hose and open a bleed nipple a little.

On Sierra syle rear calipers use a combination of turning and pushing back, Front calipers pistons should lever back quites easily -- if they don't the caliper needs overhauled.

gavin174

posted on 5/9/09 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
if it has abs make sure you remove the keys from the ignition..

some systems self test and push something like 100lbs per square inch through the piston, and if your fingers happen to be betwwen the piston and the disc...

well you know the rest..

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

BenB

posted on 5/9/09 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Clamping the hose and opening the bleed nipple then using a wind back tool is my preferred approach. With a bit of care they hardly need bleeding afterwards...
JoelP

posted on 5/9/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
by clamping, i assume you mean flat? Seems odd after the care i took not to kink it!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.