Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Time to face the music
02GF74

posted on 25/11/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Time to face the music

... well the F27 is back in the garage so maybe I'll get round to looking at what went wrong with the engine (overheated).

I am kinda toyingwith putting the old 1300 block that I replaced by the 1660.

I have a nasty suspsicion the 1660 was/is duff.

With 1300, may look to put in 1100 cc pitons and bore out to 0.090, fit whacky cam BCF2 and nice head, almost what I originally planned before the lure of extra capacity became too hard to resist, oh well....

Hopefully the head is ok as I will be in tears otherwise.

Opin onions?

[Edited on 25/11/09 by 02GF74]

TimC

posted on 25/11/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Why don't you see how good a motor you can make applying 750MC regs? If it's a good one you could make a fair amount of money I reckon (Randall apparently charges c.£2000!)

Humbug

posted on 25/11/09 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Try here?

D Beddows

posted on 25/11/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
1300 crossflows are actually a theoretically better/nicer engine than the 1600.........BUT they don't make the same power because they're a 1300cc engine rather than a 1600cc - unless you build a full on race engine - and then it wont work anywhere else apart from the track..... I have collected all the right bits to make a proper 1300 crossflow screamer over the years but I can never justify the money of actualy building one when a standard 4AGE Toyota engine (of which I also have a few) is basically very similar to a crossflow/BDA that's already had thousands thrown at it......

Chippy

posted on 25/11/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Why bugger about with a bloody Xflow, when a Zetec will fall straight in, far better engine and you dont have to mess about to make reasonable power, and there dirt cheap!! IMHO Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

flak monkey

posted on 25/11/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
What he said ^^^^^^^^

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

D Beddows

posted on 25/11/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
but there's no romance to a Zetec (or a Duratec come to that!) engine...... it's a stupid thing to say in a lot of ways.....but a zetec is the sensible and boring option for what is at the end of the day a very un sensible car.......and no I'm not saying a crossflow is the way forward either........

whitestu

posted on 25/11/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
A Zetec, bike carbs and megajolt is a dead cheap way to get a set up that is miles better than a crossflow will ever be.

You are welcome to have a look / spin in my zetec Indy if you like.

Stu

paulf

posted on 25/11/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I liked the cross flow that I had in my car when first on the road but when it needed a rebuild I decided that it was way to expensive to rebuild when compared to a cross flow that gives far more power and is reliable and if it does fail can be quickly and cheaply replaced .
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
but there's no romance to a Zetec (or a Duratec come to that!) engine...... it's a stupid thing to say in a lot of ways.....but a zetec is the sensible and boring option for what is at the end of the day a very un sensible car.......and no I'm not saying a crossflow is the way forward either........

MikeRJ

posted on 25/11/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Why bugger about with a bloody Xflow, when a Zetec will fall straight in, far better engine and you dont have to mess about to make reasonable power, and there dirt cheap!! IMHO Ray

Whilst it's certainly one of the easier engine swaps they hardly fall in. Off the top of my head:

1) Different engine mounts.
2) Taller engine, so likely needs shallow sump and maybe bonnet mods. IIRC the the difference in height between the 1.3 and 1.6 xflow engines caused 02GF74 several headaches.
3) No distributor, so need some form of distributorless electronic ignition.
4) Need to sort fuelling, either EFI or carbs. Plenty of work for the former if car has been plumbed for carbs.
5) Likely to have clearance issues with steering column.
6) Needs new clutch and release bearing.
7) Cooling system very different, possible clearance issues with rear mounted thermostat.
8) Need to sort out alternator mounting.

None of these are especially difficult, but can be either costly or time consuming depending on if you buy solutions or DIY them.

Chippy

posted on 25/11/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
MikeRJ, while I take your point, I don't see any of that beyond the wit of somebody that has built there own car. When you start totaling up what you would need to purchase to overhaul your 1300 Xflow, and then try to get anywhere near the power from the Zetec, the Zetec install would be (many) pounds cheaper. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

02GF74

posted on 26/11/09 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
nope - we went through the "install a zetec" and/or "install a 4age" when I planning the swap, must be almost a year ago.

I had difficulty enough getting the 30 mm taller 1600 as it is - main reason was not to fit bonnet bulges ... but thtat is sorted.

The 1300 would need some spacers for the engine mounts and that is all, and a new spigot bearing.

I don't want to spend any more money on unknown engines since I know I have a perfectly working 1300 - apart from the spigot bearing.

Maybe this weekend I'll get round to peeking inside the 1600 to see what the damage is.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.