Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop Focus speedo fault.
zetec

posted on 3/12/09 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Tintop Focus speedo fault.

I've just changed my tintop to a Focus 1.6 petrol after smashing my old one up...

I thought I had seen most issues with Focus but this one has me thinking.

Driving along the speedo will jump all over the place going full scale then back to normal, can go a few hours without it happening, then re occurs. Now the strange bit, when it does go mad the radio gets louder! The car runs fine. Today I managed to park while it was having a mad moment and the speedo goes to zero when I stop, if I let the car creep forward or back it started to go mad again, stop and all OK.

I've read lots of posts re speed sensor failure and speedo pod faults on Focus, but most say the car dies and the guages drop to zero when the speed sensor fails.

Any thoughts? Or have I got the "Christine" Focus with a mind of it's own. I might try and scare it by showing it the MK and let it know what happens to naughty Fords...Thanks in advance.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

mds167

posted on 3/12/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Not much help but I'm afraid but I've a similar speedo issue on an '03 mk1 phase 2 2.0l Focus. My dials periodically falls to zero and then go back to normal. Gets a bit scary but the car still performs OK.

Like you I googled the issue, found lots of stuff on fourms but when I took it to a local garage they recommended taking it to Ford for a diagnostic rather than change the speed sensor.

A good Reading-Stranraer-Belfast and back run seems to have quelled it for the moment.

I do threaten the Focus with what could happen to it (when budget and space allow)...

Perhaps only someone with Ford diagnostics will be able to truly say whether the cluster is at fault? Or did someone just not fancy tkaing the lid off my dash...?

stevem2727

posted on 3/12/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi really common fault with the focus.It is the speedo drive in the gearbox,inexpensive and a 5 mins job.
speedyxjs

posted on 3/12/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec
I might try and scare it by showing it the MK and let it know what happens to naughty Fords...Thanks in advance.

lol

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mcerd1

posted on 3/12/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mds167
Not much help but I'm afraid but I've a similar speedo issue on an '03 mk1 phase 2 2.0l Focus. My dials periodically falls to zero and then go back to normal. Gets a bit scary but the car still performs OK.

mine does that too...
its a Y reg 1.8l - but it only happens about once a month so I've never got round to looking at it

-

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 3/12/09 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by mds167

mine does that too...
its a Y reg 1.8l - but it only happens about once a month so I've never got round to looking at it

The little Pug never had any issues like that lol........

Madinventions

posted on 3/12/09 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Swap the speedo sensor on the back of the gearbox. That should sort it, and will only cost pennies from the scrappy.

The radio volume increase is normal because the Ford head units turn themselves up when you go faster, so if the speedo is all over the place, then the volume will be aswell.

Ed.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

mcerd1

posted on 3/12/09 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshopThe little Pug never had any issues like that lol........

Actually it did....

...when I swapped the gearbox the speedo cable's held in place with a stupid rubber pin and it fell off

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.