Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Timing
mistergrumpy

posted on 21/12/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Timing

Helping someone with his car and I suspect that amongst other ideas the timing might be out but how do you adjust timing on a distributorless engine. I know to get an inductive strobe light to check it but how do you alter it?
flak monkey

posted on 21/12/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
What engine is it?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/12/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Misubisho 3000GT 3.0 V6 thingy.
To expand a little. I went to change his alternator and he said that it was backfiring so when I'd done I started it up and it sounded like a bag of spanners for about 10 seconds then it sounded fine. Took it around the block and it lacked a lot power setting off and was backfiring ocassionally. The abs light was on(?) and the cat overheating light. I checked the plugs and they were wet and smelled of fuel so overfuelling and I suspect maybe a knackered O2 sensor but another theory is maybe it's slipped a tooth because when I took the timing cover off I noticed the belt was a bit loose on one bank than it was on the other but I have heard that it sometimes is like this.
Ordered a datalogging cable but was just thinking ahead.

snapper

posted on 21/12/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
If its a tin top....
Unless you can get into the ECU with software you can't change it and should not need to, the parameters are factory set and i would suspect the only thing you may be able to fiddle with is the VR sensor, but again i would not.
Perhaps the Cam position sensor is faulty or even the Crank sensor.
Vacuum pipes to the ECU or TPS on the throttle body.
If the cam belt has been changed it may be a cam timing issue.
Its worth putting a timing light on and seeing what advance you have right now.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/12/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cool. I suspected that the ECU may be in control. At least I know now though. Learn a new thing every day, ta
britishtrident

posted on 21/12/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Most likely to be a bad connection (arcing) on one of the alternator cables causing voltage spikes.
turbodisplay

posted on 21/12/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Faulty knock sensor a possibility, bad coil pack another.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 21/12/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
check the sensor which picks up the signal from the flywheel I had a problem years back car back firing would accelerate then held back and so on, removed the sensor cleaned it refitted ran brilliantly.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

rayward

posted on 21/12/09 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
sounding like a bag of spanners on startup could be the hydraulic cam followers being worn and needing to fill with oil before they quiten down, i had an FTO which did the same thing !
CGILL

posted on 22/12/09 at 01:37 AM Reply With Quote
The timing is set with strobe off plug 1, dunnoe on that one, but there are two pins to short in the "engine check" box under the bonnet which remove ECU advance, adjustment is made by turning the crank angle sensor (it's a DOHC yes?) off the back running off the back of the cam.

ECU probably needs resetting though, there will be a proceedure, like batt off, then on, press brake 5 times etc etc, google will help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.