Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover
LBMEFM

posted on 31/1/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Rover

As with a recent post by James I have the same problem with my sons Rover 200 injection. When you rev the engine it will not return to idle. Had a quick look yesterday, the thottle cables free and the butterfly lever returns to the stop but it still runs at 2500-3000rpm. Come on guys any ideas. Barry

[Edited on 31/1/10 by LBMEFM]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 31/1/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
idle control valve? I changed mine and we had to break into the Rover dealer early one sat morning to calibrate it. It then idled correctly

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Danozeman

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Vacuum leak in the inlet manifold?? My 45 did it when the pipe to the brake servo had half come out of the manifold.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

MonkeyBoyJnr

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
I had a metro with an 1800 in it and I had a similar problem. In the end it turned out to be a loose connection on the TPS ( throttle position sensor ). Once soldered back into connector the problem was solved. :-)
britishtrident

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Has the car got a plastic throttlebody ? These can get distorted if a Jubilee clip is used to fit the air intake trunking on, it should only be held to the throttlebody by the official Rover plastic clip or a cable tie. --- very common problem on cars on which a performance air intake has been fitted.
If this is the case cure is change he throttlebody, if the car has a plastic inlet manifold any of the later 16 valve K series Mpi metal throttlebodies will fit straight on. But be aware the base model Rover 25 1.4 litre used a throttlebody on which the butterfly was restricted to 60% oppenning to reduce the power output to 81hp for insurance group reasons, all the other 25 1.4 had 103hp.
The higher output throttle body which can be from any K series even a 1.8 fits straight on the 81hp manifold immediately up rating the engine but the throttle cable must also be changed to match .

If itis not the throttlebody and there are no vacuum leaks --- check the inlet manifold to head gasket by rocking the manifold with the engine at idle. Inlet manifold gaskets are a known problem especially on pre-2001 cars.

However if none of the above it sounds like an idle control valve problem, if you fit another idle control valve it should be setup for that particular engine by connection to MG-RoveTestbook but there is road side procedure to re-synch the idle control valve --- turn the ignition on with the drivers door open but don't start the engine and press the throttle to the floor 20 times

[Edited on 31/1/10 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
It could also be the coolant temperature sensor.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RAYLEE29

posted on 31/1/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, we had endless probs with my dads 400 1.6 16v k series went through all the normal stuff plugs idle control valve temp senders etc etc then dad decided to change the fuel filter i stupidly said theres no way thatll fix it! WRONG! sweet as a nut afterwards
so maybe try the fuel filter first
also another common fault on rovers is the battery to body earth well worth unbolting and cleaning where it goes on the slam panel
hope this helps
Ray

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.