Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake problems
86barettaguy

posted on 28/4/04 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
brake problems

having some trouble with the brakes on "my" Volvo 855. Seems like the front right brake pad is in constant contact with the disc. At least that's the only explanation I can think of after noticing a horrible grinding noise along with a way too hot brake disc... anyone have any simple solution? I was hoping that performing a series of hard brakes would help, but it didn't. and I don't know how to dismantle the damn thing. and I need the car tomorrow. and I don't have enough money to have someone else fix it...
Metal Hippy

posted on 28/4/04 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's not the same car but I had a similar problem recently on my AX mean machine.

In my case the slider in the caliper had seized meaning that the brakes were constantly on...

If that's the problem every time you jam the brakes on to try and 'clear it' you're pressing it further on to stay there and make the problem worse...

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

JoelP

posted on 28/4/04 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
daft as it may sound, i used wd40 on my rover when it did this. mechanic couldnt stop it doing it (smoking at lights it was that hot) so i flogged it in the end. wd40 cooled it and stopped the damn squeeking too.

Metal Hippy

posted on 28/4/04 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
That bloke that sorted mine broke 3 or 4 chisels getting the slider to move again...

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

macspeedy

posted on 28/4/04 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
get some re con calipers that will stop you for sure!
MikeP

posted on 29/4/04 at 02:05 AM Reply With Quote
If you can hear grinding more than likely one or more pads have worn through to metal on metal and you need to have the rotors replaced or turned too. Be very careful stopping till you do this, you won't get as much stopping force as normal. Check for it as soon as you can.

When I change the pads in floating caliper systems I make sure I've cleaned out the parts the pads slide on. They often get quite gummed up with gunk and rust. The brake pads should be able to slide easily on the supports.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 29/4/04 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
i have had a couple of cars like this where the flexy pipe has collapesed inside and is holding pressure

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.